Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Aquarium Stands for 3, 10-gal Tanks

I'd like to build a stand for three 10-gallon fish aquariums for my
classroom. Preferably, I'd like something that is strong enough to handle
the weight from the water, have an area underneath for storage, and
something that cannot be pulled over should a young child "lean" on it.

Are there any "plans" out there for building such?

Many thanks!

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Ranger" wrote in message
ndwidth...
I'd like to build a stand for three 10-gallon fish aquariums for my
classroom. Preferably, I'd like something that is strong enough to handle
the weight from the water, have an area underneath for storage, and
something that cannot be pulled over should a young child "lean" on it.

Are there any "plans" out there for building such?

Many thanks!

The Ranger

plans? build a ladder frame for the 2 sides out of 2x4s add more 2x4s for
cross pieces. use 3/4" exterior plywood for shelves. use bolts to put it
together, not nails or drywall screws.

paint it black.

Posted to alt.home.repair

charlie wrote:

"The Ranger" wrote in message
ndwidth...
I'd like to build a stand for three 10-gallon fish aquariums for my
classroom. Preferably, I'd like something that is strong enough to handle
the weight from the water, have an area underneath for storage, and
something that cannot be pulled over should a young child "lean" on it.

Are there any "plans" out there for building such?

Many thanks!

The Ranger

plans? build a ladder frame for the 2 sides out of 2x4s add more 2x4s for
cross pieces. use 3/4" exterior plywood for shelves. use bolts to put it
together, not nails or drywall screws.

paint it black.

Building it out of 2x4s will work, but it will be pretty ugly and bulky
for what it does. I'd suggest finding someone who can weld up a decent
stand out of square structural tubing and expanded flattened mesh for
shelving, with adjustable leveling feet. That type of project would take
me about 2 hours and about $50 in materials to do (you prime and paint
it), so it shouldn't be that expensive if you find the right person.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
charlie wrote:

"The Ranger" wrote in message
ndwidth...
[...]

Does the school have a metal shop?

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote in message
[snip]
Does the school have a metal shop?

No, unfortunately, it doesn't and neither do I have access to one. I can
_probably_ find a local welder to put something together but then I'd be
getting into costs I'd rather not.

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Ranger wrote:
HeyBub wrote in message
[snip]
Does the school have a metal shop?

No, unfortunately, it doesn't and neither do I have access to one. I
can _probably_ find a local welder to put something together but then
I'd be getting into costs I'd rather not.

Okay, maybe one of the kid's dad owns a metal shop?

Or beg a donation from the local pet stores (they could put up a discrete
sign to justify the gift...)?

A "Wanted" ad in Craigslist?

One more thing - anchor the sucker to the wall!

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Ranger wrote:
HeyBub wrote in message
[snip]
Does the school have a metal shop?

No, unfortunately, it doesn't and neither do I have access to one. I can
_probably_ find a local welder to put something together but then I'd be
getting into costs I'd rather not.

The Ranger

Here is your opportunity to start a fascinating hobby!
Come on over to sci.engr.joining.welding and ask the
great folks who do this kind of stuff every day, would
be my suggestion.

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Ranger wrote:

HeyBub wrote in message
[snip]
Does the school have a metal shop?

No, unfortunately, it doesn't and neither do I have access to one. I can
_probably_ find a local welder to put something together but then I'd be
getting into costs I'd rather not.

The Ranger

2x4s, plywood and screws aren't free either you know. You may be able to
get a local welder to build it at materials cost if it's for a suitably
charitable use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 3:47*pm, "The Ranger" wrote:
I'd like to build a stand for three 10-gallon fish aquariums for my
classroom. Preferably, I'd like something that is strong enough to handle
the weight from the water, have an area underneath for storage, and
something that cannot be pulled over should a young child "lean" on it.

Are there any "plans" out there for building such?

Many thanks!

The Ranger

Are you looking for 1 stand for all three tanks, or three stands, one
for each tank?

If it's 1 stand, or you looking for 3 tall or 3 wide?

Important questions, don't you think? g

Anyway, when I built the stand for my 55 gallon tank, I went to a
couple of pet stores with my tape measure, a pad and a pencil and took
measurements from the various wooden stands that they carried. When
the clerk came over and asked if he could help, I simply said "I'm
building a stand for the fish tank and supplies I'm going to buy from
you when it's done." He was happy to let me continue taking the
measurements.

The stand I chose turned out to be nothing more than a weekend project
and it's been holding various tanks for well over 20 years.

It looks sort of like this, but I made it shorter so the kids could
see the fish when they were young (the kids, not the fish) and I
stained it to match my decor. The 2 large rectangles are doors with
spring loaded hinges.

http://www.petco.com/Assets/product_...255000101B.jpg

DAGS and you'll find lots of sites like...

http://www.aquarium-stand-plans.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 7:21�pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

My buddy with a metal shop built me a nice strong stand out of steel
box beams, its on casters for easy movement. best thing i did

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Ranger" wrote

I'd like to build a stand for three 10-gallon fish aquariums for my
classroom. Preferably, I'd like something that is strong enough to handle
the weight from the water, have an area underneath for storage, and
something that cannot be pulled over should a young child "lean" on it.

You want a table with a lower shelf. Can you bolt it to the wall? If so,
you have the stability needed. A simple 90 degree angle bracket to the base
and wall will do this.

If you want 30G water total on one table with 3 tanks, you will need a
center pole at front and back or the wood will bend, based on standard sizes
of tanks.

1 inch thick plywood for the top, cut 14-24 inches 'deep' depending on your
wants for display area before the tanks. (cut to 24 inches if you have the
space and set to 36-40inch tall and you do not need to bolt to the wall). A
standard 8ft long will work for this or you can tighten for most tanks to
6ft.

6 posts of 2x4 (can get away with 1x2 for center support set but creates
problem with cross-pieces). May want to split this every 2 feet if you
want 8ft long top so need 2 sets of center posts.
Corner-center-center-Corner.

Now the harder part. I personally would use 90 degree metal angle brackets
to secure the lower shelf and legs to each other and prevent 'wobble' but I
bet you want to cut a top stabilizing set that fits between each 'leg' at
the top and perhaps sister the legs at the bottom for the bottom shelf. You
need to be sure the kids can't pull it over.

To secure it, look at your standard coffee table. See how it has a wood
part cut to fit between the legs? It's not there just for looks. You will
pretty much build the top then then legs then flip it on the backside (legs
up) and measure carefully and cut to fit pieces that fit between along the
legs and nail or angle bracket them in. Flip it back to standing position
and nail a shorter bit of wood to the legs that starts from bottom up to how
high you want the second shelf underneath to be, then cut the plywood so it
leaves room for the legs and just rests on them.

I hope this helps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:47:04 -0700, "The Ranger"
wrote:

I'd like to build a stand for three 10-gallon fish aquariums for my
classroom. Preferably, I'd like something that is strong enough to handle
the weight from the water, have an area underneath for storage, and
something that cannot be pulled over should a young child "lean" on it.

Are there any "plans" out there for building such?

Many thanks!

The Ranger

The hard part is not allowing a child to climb onto it. Do not put a
shelf underneath, but a cabinet is okay. Make the stand as low as
practically possible to lower the center of gravity and let all know
that touching the tank and/or stand is an infraction. It should be
easy and cheap enough to build one from 2x4's.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 7:44*pm, "cshenk" wrote:
"The Ranger" wrote

[...]

An enclosed cabinet would look better (IMO) and probably be more
stable if built correctly.

The beauty of the one I built is that I didn't have to rip a single
piece of wood. I didn't have a table saw at the time, so I planned it
all around standard 1 by sizes.

The two sides are 1 x 12's, the top and bottom are 1 x 4's, mitered to
form a rectangle, the front and rear face frames are 1 x 2's and the
panels and doors are 1 x 6's. The only sawdust I made was from simple
crosscuts and routing of bullnoses.

With the top and bottom rectangles doweled together at the miters and
then glued and screwed to the 1 x 12s and the face frames, and the
face frames glued and screwed to the 1 x 12's, there's no way for this
unit to rack or wobble.

Like I said, it's similar to this, but shorter, and really not much
more than a weekend project.

http://www.petco.com/Assets/product_...255000101B.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'd like to build a stand for three 10-gallon fish aquariums for my
classroom. Preferably, I'd like something that is strong enough to handle
the weight from the water, have an area underneath for storage, and
something that cannot be pulled over should a young child "lean" on it.

Are there any "plans" out there for building such?

Many thanks!

The Ranger

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ighlight=stand
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote in message
m...
The Ranger wrote:
HeyBub wrote in message
[snip]
Does the school have a metal shop?

No, unfortunately, it doesn't and neither do I have access to one. I
can _probably_ find a local welder to put something together but then
I'd be getting into costs I'd rather not.

Okay, maybe one of the kid's dad owns a metal shop?

Or beg a donation from the local pet stores (they could put up
a discrete sign to justify the gift...)?

Done that already for multiple pieces in the classroom. I ain't proud when
it comes to donations and freecycling.

A "Wanted" ad in Craigslist?

I've yet to try this; thanks for the idea.

One more thing - anchor the sucker to the wall!

Without a doubt, living in the shake-and-bake state has learned me that I
anchor everything and _then_ worry about some student pounding on the tanks.

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in message
Are you looking for 1 stand for all three tanks, or three
stands, one for each tank?

If it's 1 stand, or you looking for 3 tall or 3 wide?

Important questions, don't you think? g

Very! 2 long by 2 wide but I also thought 3 long by 1 wide, attaching it to
the wall and using it as a divide for the reading area and remaining
classroom.

http://www.aquarium-stand-plans.com/

Coo-elle. Thanks!

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

Winston wrote in message
The Ranger wrote:
HeyBub wrote in message
[snip]
Does the school have a metal shop?

No, unfortunately, it doesn't and neither do I [..]

[snip]
Here is your opportunity to start a fascinating hobby!
Come on over to sci.engr.joining.welding and ask the
great folks who do this kind of stuff every day, would
be my suggestion.

"Honey! Ch'oo got som' 'splainin' t' do!"

My current hobbies are equipment-heavy already. I cannot imagine having to
explain why I was enhancing my garage experience further with another round
of equipment financing.

I'll keep looking for a welder that'll donate the time and effort if I
provide the materials.

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[snip]

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ighlight=stand

Thanks!

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote in message
[snip]
The hard part is not allowing a child to climb onto it.

It's easier than you think; "no" worked the charm this last year quite
nicely. It was the single child that kept coming into the classroom from
another area and pounding on the tank that was my Achilles Heel.

Do not put a shelf underneath, but a cabinet is okay.

Why? I can store food, equipment, and other items away without having them
walk off.

Make the stand as low as practically possible
to lower the center of gravity and let all know
that touching the tank and/or stand is an infraction.
It should be easy and cheap enough to build one
from 2x4's.

That's what I've implemented and continuing to count on.

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote in message
"The Ranger" wrote

[...]

It did and it is appreciated.

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote in message
ster.com...
[snip]

2x4s, plywood and screws aren't free either you know.

Intimately.

You may be able to get a local welder to build it at
materials cost if it's for a suitably charitable use.

That's what I'm looking for at the moment. No one's willing to take it on,
ATM, though, and the two local middle schools don't have any students that
the teachers feel would be able to handle such a project.

The Ranger

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,alt.home.repair

Everybody, this is my pal The Ranger from alt.home.repair.
He would like a stout support for his fish aquariums, to be
installed in an elementary school on an 'out of pocket'
budget.

He's not comfortable with starting a welding hobby but would
like your suggestions on how he can get a nice solid stand made
for the classroom. First prize would be for one of our
Master Fabricators to show up with a portable fab shop.

--Winston

The Ranger wrote:
Winston wrote in message
The Ranger wrote:
HeyBub wrote in message
[snip]
Does the school have a metal shop?
No, unfortunately, it doesn't and neither do I [..]

[snip]
Here is your opportunity to start a fascinating hobby!
Come on over to sci.engr.joining.welding and ask the
great folks who do this kind of stuff every day, would
be my suggestion.

"Honey! Ch'oo got som' 'splainin' t' do!"

My current hobbies are equipment-heavy already. I cannot imagine having to
explain why I was enhancing my garage experience further with another round
of equipment financing.

I'll keep looking for a welder that'll donate the time and effort if I
provide the materials.

The Ranger

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,alt.home.repair

/doffs hat to Master Winston

As further explanation, the classroom is almost a perfect square, 28'X29',
with one corner devoted to a "reading/library" area (10'X5'). I am currenly
using a slanted book/magazine display rack as the seperator wall. It's fine
for what it does but I would like to replace the rack with something more
solid which will also offer dual observation points for the animals. The
classroom is currently set up for kindergartners (4-6-yo.) The majority know
that the tank area is not a jungle gym. I was thinking of having one stand
holding 3 10-gallon tanks (expandable to four) which would hold a variety of
animals (tropical fish, crayfish, leopard frogs, tadpoles, snails.) The
current set-ups are quite heavy so they're resting along a cabinet area
along the back wall. I would prefer to be able to anchor said stand to wall
since I live in the Shake-and-Bake state.

Many thanks!

The Ranger

"Winston" wrote in message
Everybody, this is my pal The Ranger from alt.home.repair.
He would like a stout support for his fish aquariums, to be
installed in an elementary school on an 'out of pocket'
budget.

He's not comfortable with starting a welding hobby but would
like your suggestions on how he can get a nice solid stand made
for the classroom. First prize would be for one of our
Master Fabricators to show up with a portable fab shop.

--Winston

The Ranger wrote:
Winston wrote in message
The Ranger wrote:
HeyBub wrote in message
[snip]
Does the school have a metal shop?
No, unfortunately, it doesn't and neither do I [..]

[snip]
Here is your opportunity to start a fascinating hobby!
Come on over to sci.engr.joining.welding and ask the
great folks who do this kind of stuff every day, would
be my suggestion.

"Honey! Ch'oo got som' 'splainin' t' do!"

My current hobbies are equipment-heavy already. I cannot imagine having
to explain why I was enhancing my garage experience further with another
round of equipment financing.

I'll keep looking for a welder that'll donate the time and effort if I
provide the materials.

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 11:57�am, "The Ranger" wrote:
Pete C. wrote in message

ster.com...
[snip]

2x4s, plywood and screws aren't free either you know.

Intimately.

You may be able to get a local welder to build it at
materials cost if it's for a suitably charitable use.

That's what I'm looking for at the moment. No one's willing to take it on,
ATM, though, and the two local middle schools don't have any students that
the teachers feel would be able to handle such a project.

The Ranger

have a local vo tech? many have classes that include skills like
welding in HVAC

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,alt.home.repair

The Ranger wrote:
[...]

Is the classroom on a poured concrete slab?
Sounds like masonry anchors into the floor would be
useful as well.

--Winston

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,alt.home.repair

Winston wrote in message
[snip]
Is the classroom on a poured concrete slab?
Sounds like masonry anchors into the floor would be
useful as well.

This would be highly useful but the school district is funny about what
they'll allow non-facilities personnel to perform. Anchoring furniture to
the floor, if performed without a work order by an uninsured, unlicenced
professional (teacher), can be a termination offense.

The Ranger

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,alt.home.repair

The Ranger wrote:
Winston wrote in message
[snip]
Is the classroom on a poured concrete slab?
Sounds like masonry anchors into the floor would be
useful as well.

This would be highly useful but the school district is funny about what
they'll allow non-facilities personnel to perform. Anchoring furniture to
the floor, if performed without a work order by an uninsured, unlicenced
professional (teacher), can be a termination offense.

The Ranger

Ah. They have an open mind WRT wall attachments, though?

--Winston
Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 6:49*pm, "The Ranger" wrote:

He's not comfortable with starting a welding hobby but would
like your suggestions on how he can get a nice solid stand made
for the classroom. *First prize would be for one of our
Master Fabricators to show up with a portable fab shop.

The Ranger

I would suggest you look into Surface Bond Cement. You would stack
concrete or cinder blocks to make the stand.
After everything is how you want it, you put a 1/8 inch layer of
surface bond cement on the both sides of the concrete block.
The surface bond cement has fiberglass fibers in it so it keeps the
concrete block from separating. It is stronger than concrete block
laid with mortar. In a shake and bake state, you can also put some
rebar down some of the holes and fill in with sakcrete.

I used this on my son's concrete block chimney that was beginning to
develop some cracks. It has been ten years and the chimney is still
safe.

Dan

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 5:48*pm, "The Ranger" wrote:
Winston wrote in message

[snip]

Is the classroom on a poured concrete slab?
Sounds like masonry anchors into the floor would be
useful as well.

This would be highly useful but the school district is funny about what
they'll allow non-facilities personnel to perform. Anchoring furniture to
the floor, if performed without a work order by an uninsured, unlicenced
professional (teacher), can be a termination offense.

The Ranger

that "can be a termination offense"

Remember to take your fish with you when you leave. g

I remember back when my kids were in grade school, one of their
classrooms didn't have chalk ledge under the black board. The teacher
knew I did some woodworking and asked me to make her one. She said
she'd get the school's maintenance guy to mount it to the cinder block
wall.

I made her a real nice looking 8' ledge, complete with wooden mounting
brackets and even supplied the masonry screws and buttons to cover the
holes.

When I dropped it off at the school she called the maintenance guy who
told us that she would have to put in a request, which he would have
to get approved by the district, before he could drill into the block.
He then looked at me and added "However, if I came in Monday morning
and it was already mounted to the wall, well, there sure wouldn't be
much I could do about it."

Guess how I spent my Saturday morning?

Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

(...)

"However, if I came in Monday morning
and it was already mounted to the wall, well, there sure wouldn't be
much I could do about it."

Guess how I spent my Saturday morning?

Heh!

There can be a huge difference between 'correct' and 'right'.

--Winston

Use for 3-sided aquarium HeyBub Home Repair 2 August 23rd 06 06:30 PM
aquarium stand Rich Woodworking 29 February 20th 06 11:54 PM
Aquarium stand again Larry Blanchard Woodworking 20 November 15th 04 12:31 AM
Aquarium Stand Bill Stock Woodworking 10 August 11th 04 12:05 AM
Aquarium? Marcus Fox UK diy 11 May 22nd 04 08:21 PM