Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage door opener

The two laser units on the tracks for my garage door were damaged when
our garage flooded and then froze during the winter.
These are a safety feature but with no small children around, I don't
consider it necessary.
Is there any way of by-passing them? I tried twisting the wires to-
gether on each side. It didn't work. Then I joined the respective
wires from one side to the other across the opening. That didn't work
either. The laser beam is essentially a switch, isn't it?
If I can't bypass it, do I have to order the manufacturer's
replacement equipment (which will take time) or is there something
"generic' I can use?
Tx
ds
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 May 2009 19:18:51 -0700 (PDT), DS wrote:

The two laser units on the tracks for my garage door were damaged when
our garage flooded and then froze during the winter.
These are a safety feature but with no small children around, I don't
consider it necessary.
Is there any way of by-passing them? I tried twisting the wires to-
gether on each side. It didn't work. Then I joined the respective
wires from one side to the other across the opening. That didn't work
either. The laser beam is essentially a switch, isn't it?
If I can't bypass it, do I have to order the manufacturer's
replacement equipment (which will take time) or is there something
"generic' I can use?
Tx
ds

They CAN be bypassed.
Some work simply by disconnecting. You need to check the wiring
diagram that came with the opener.
IF you bypass it, make SURE the downforce limit is adjusted properly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DS wrote:
The two laser units on the tracks for my garage door were damaged when
our garage flooded and then froze during the winter.
These are a safety feature but with no small children around, I don't
consider it necessary.
Is there any way of by-passing them? I tried twisting the wires to-
gether on each side. It didn't work. Then I joined the respective
wires from one side to the other across the opening. That didn't work
either. The laser beam is essentially a switch, isn't it?
If I can't bypass it, do I have to order the manufacturer's
replacement equipment (which will take time) or is there something
"generic' I can use?
Tx
ds

the sensors will be replaced for free if you contact the mfgr. until
then you'll just have to hold the button to lower the door. raising
will be normal. When you get them back you can mount them 6" apart on
the ceiling right above the unit, and they'll never be damaged again.

steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

DS wrote:
The two laser units on the tracks for my garage door were damaged when
our garage flooded and then froze during the winter.
These are a safety feature but with no small children around, I don't
consider it necessary.
Is there any way of by-passing them? I tried twisting the wires to-
gether on each side. It didn't work. Then I joined the respective
wires from one side to the other across the opening. That didn't work
either. The laser beam is essentially a switch, isn't it?
If I can't bypass it, do I have to order the manufacturer's
replacement equipment (which will take time) or is there something
"generic' I can use?

I doubt they're lasers but instead one is an LED transmitter and the
other is a phototransistor receiver, and you should be able to repair
them by opening them up, washing them thoroughly with alcohol, and
letting them dry for several hours in a warm place before putting them
back into service. Sometimes the only problem caused by flooding is
silt build-up on the optical parts. All but the oldest garage door
openers are designed to not allow the door to be closed if the signal
from the optical receiver can't be detected, so of course merely
cutting the wires or connecting them together won't work, and the
latter could damage the overhead unit. Damage to the electronics in
the optical sensor and transmitter should be inexpensive to repair
since only generic parts are used in them, and I would expect any
parts related to them in the overhead unit to be the same, but it's
much more hazardous to work on it since some of the circuitry runs at
high voltage, and a careless person could easily get shocked (to
death), lose a finger, or even be scalped if the opener starts to move
unexpectedly.

Almost all openers are made by Chamberlain (Liftmaster, Sears
Craftsman) or Genie, and parts are readily available from them, opener
service companies, and retailers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 May 2009 23:52:54 -0500, Steve Barker

[...]

I've not encountered one that will work without them in the circuit
wired properly.

I found out last week that Martin Garage Door company has developed an
opener without the need for the sensors.

"Exclusive Soft-Touch Reverse Technology™

While Closing:
• The door & opener system reverses with just a soft touch-
eliminating the need for troublesome photo eyes

While Opening:

• The door & opener system will stop with just a soft touch-
eliminating the appeal for children to ride the door while it opens "

http://www.martindoor.com/Garage-Doo...r-Openers.aspx
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 May 2009 19:18:51 -0700 (PDT), DS wrote:

The two laser units on the tracks for my garage door were damaged when
our garage flooded and then froze during the winter.
These are a safety feature but with no small children around, I don't
consider it necessary.
Is there any way of by-passing them? I tried twisting the wires to-
gether on each side. It didn't work. Then I joined the respective
wires from one side to the other across the opening. That didn't work
either. The laser beam is essentially a switch, isn't it?
If I can't bypass it, do I have to order the manufacturer's
replacement equipment (which will take time) or is there something
"generic' I can use?
Tx
ds

I like Steve's comment that they can be replaced for free.

I strongly urge you to get them working and fully functional
as they were designed. Remember that while you may not have any young
children, other people do, including relatives and neighbors. In
addition animals and adults with limited mobility can be injured by
these doors as might someone who you might sell you home to some time
later.

Not only could there be a preventable accident, but you could
be held responsible. I don't know about your insurance, but if I were
an attorney for someone who was injured I would love to find out that
the owner had intentionally defeated the safety device that might have
saved that child's life.

Between March 82 and November 96, 62 children under 15 have been
reported killed by garage doors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

There is something more dangerous to small children:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5006.html

Everything is deadly.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas"

There is something more dangerous to small children:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5006.html

Everything is deadly.

Another example of the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide poisoning. We really
need to regulate that poison more carefully to save the children.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
wrote:
[...]

OH GAWD! now we're gonna have electronic sensors on buckets. But
still no parental supervision is required.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 May 2009 14:59:39 -0500, Steve Barker

Between March 82 and November 96, 62 children under 15 have been
reported killed by garage doors.

that number is a mere nothing. We spend all this time, technology,
money, political crap for 4.4 deaths a year. I wonder how many kids are
killed or maimed by pit bulls, or wolf dogs? We don't do a dam thing
about those. In either event it all boils down to proper parental
supervision. if those 62 had been properly supervised, they'd still be
alive. Period.

When did garage door openers come into common use? When did
the safety devices come into use? Now do the math. How many did not
die that would have otherwise?

4.4 deaths a year might seem small to you, but if it was your
child, you would likely fee different about it. At least I would hope
you would. I suspect you might also feel different it it Was a
neighbors child and your garage.

The devices are not expensive. Some people intentionally
defeat them which means they are going out of their way to make their
garage door less safe. What could possibly be in their head?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 May 2009 14:59:39 -0500, Steve Barker

Between March 82 and November 96, 62 children under 15 have been
reported killed by garage doors.

that number is a mere nothing. We spend all this time, technology,
money, political crap for 4.4 deaths a year. I wonder how many kids are
killed or maimed by pit bulls, or wolf dogs? We don't do a dam thing
about those. In either event it all boils down to proper parental
supervision. if those 62 had been properly supervised, they'd still be
alive. Period.

And if the downforce adjustment was properly set they would not be
injured either. My door will reverse as soon as it hits something -
and NO beam-switches.
Posted to alt.home.repair

y'all babbled about this stuff and now here's my babbling:

I have to opine, a garage door opener is a power tool. I wouldn't
operate it from beyond my direct line-of-sight anymore than I would turn
on the table saw and walk out of the room.

IOW, I don't need no stinking electronic sensors to keep me from killing
some kid, I was born with a pair of organic sensors that are sufficient
for the task.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
y'all babbled about this stuff and now here's my babbling:

I have to opine, a garage door opener is a power tool. I wouldn't
operate it from beyond my direct line-of-sight anymore than I would turn
on the table saw and walk out of the room.

IOW, I don't need no stinking electronic sensors to keep me from killing
some kid, I was born with a pair of organic sensors that are sufficient
for the task.

Ya know, I was just thinking. There are water safety
and swimming classes for small children, why not have
"THIS CAN KILL YOU, YOU LITTLE BRAT!" classes for small
children. I can envision mockups of garage doors, buckets,
automobiles, etc that have electrodes that will administer
electric shocks to the little tykes whenever they do a
"No No" around one of these dangerous items. Guns would
be another fun thing to teach them to avoid. A few stun
grenades going off around a gun cabinet might dissuade
a wandering munchkin from thinking it's a toy box. There
are ways to keep younglings safe, it's called teaching.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 May 2009 12:14:40 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

There
are ways to keep younglings safe, it's called teaching.

Depends on the teacher. We were near 102F yesterday

Man Gambles and Drinks Inside Bar, Leaves Kids Outside in Hot Car

"LAS VEGAS - Two small children spent nearly two hours in the back of
a car while their father gambled at a neighborhood Las Vegas bar. The
kids are safe and the father is under arrest.

The incident happened at the Club Car Lounge, a 24 hour video poker
bar. Las Vegas Metropolitan Police received a call just after noon
that two children were locked inside of an SUV parked at the bar.

Officers arrived to find the kids seatbelted in their car seats with
the windows down and the keys in the ignition.

Metro says the boys were three-months-old and two-years-old.

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/st...31734&nav=168j

Kids die here every year in hot cars. Some parents are prosecuted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mounted my sensor eyes pointing at each other in the attic using the
optional rafter-mount kit. ;-)
No more problems with sensors!!

"DS" wrote in message
The two laser units on the tracks for my garage door were damaged when
our garage flooded and then froze during the winter.
These are a safety feature but with no small children around, I don't
consider it necessary.
Is there any way of by-passing them? I tried twisting the wires to-
gether on each side. It didn't work. Then I joined the respective
wires from one side to the other across the opening. That didn't work
either. The laser beam is essentially a switch, isn't it?
If I can't bypass it, do I have to order the manufacturer's
replacement equipment (which will take time) or is there something
"generic' I can use?
Tx
ds

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

A good case for sterilization.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DS" wrote in message
The two laser units on the tracks for my garage door were damaged when
our garage flooded and then froze during the winter.
These are a safety feature but with no small children around, I don't
consider it necessary.
Is there any way of by-passing them? I tried twisting the wires to-
gether on each side. It didn't work. Then I joined the respective
wires from one side to the other across the opening. That didn't work
either. The laser beam is essentially a switch, isn't it?
If I can't bypass it, do I have to order the manufacturer's
replacement equipment (which will take time) or is there something
"generic' I can use?
Tx
ds

the standard screws holding them to the ceiling is sufficient. ACTUALLY
you COULD just duct tape them together and lay them on top the unit if
you're real lazy. Anything to keep them out of the way.