Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage door opener

wrote:
On Thu, 7 May 2009 19:18:51 -0700 (PDT), DS wrote:

The two laser units on the tracks for my garage door were damaged when
our garage flooded and then froze during the winter.
These are a safety feature but with no small children around, I don't
consider it necessary.
Is there any way of by-passing them? I tried twisting the wires to-
gether on each side. It didn't work. Then I joined the respective
wires from one side to the other across the opening. That didn't work
either. The laser beam is essentially a switch, isn't it?
If I can't bypass it, do I have to order the manufacturer's
replacement equipment (which will take time) or is there something
"generic' I can use?
Tx
ds

I like Steve's comment that they can be replaced for free.

I strongly urge you to get them working and fully functional
as they were designed. Remember that while you may not have any young
children, other people do, including relatives and neighbors. In
addition animals and adults with limited mobility can be injured by
these doors as might someone who you might sell you home to some time
later.

Not only could there be a preventable accident, but you could
be held responsible. I don't know about your insurance, but if I were
an attorney for someone who was injured I would love to find out that
the owner had intentionally defeated the safety device that might have
saved that child's life.

Between March 82 and November 96, 62 children under 15 have been
reported killed by garage doors.

There is something more dangerous to small children:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5006.html

Everything is deadly.

TDD