Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Graphite in Locks? ...not good sometime

Recently had to have a key made for van door lock I had no key for.
Locksmith lubed the lock and it wasn't graphite based. I asked why and he
said because of the high humidity here in the mid-south graphite is NG.
When combined with moisture it hardens like cement. Have to take his word
for it. Well established locksmith. Not some matchbook cover graduate
working out of garage and car.

What did he use? WD-40!

...and the WD-40 thread war is on again :-)

Just an FYI. Just a messenger here.
Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On May 1, 11:34*pm, Red Green wrote:
Recently had to have a key made for van door lock I had no key for.
Locksmith lubed the lock and it wasn't graphite based. I asked why and he
said because of the high humidity here in the mid-south graphite is NG.
When combined with moisture it hardens like cement. Have to take his word
for it. Well established locksmith. Not some matchbook cover graduate
working out of garage and car.

What did he use? WD-40!

* * * * ...and the WD-40 thread war is on again :-)

Just an FYI. Just a messenger here.

graphite doesn't absorb water. i've heard this in theory and you can
see it in reality, with a tube of powdered graphite and a glass of
water. graphite is perfectly nonpolar, and as such mixes as badly with
water as oil does.

TALC absorbs water. it's a decent lube otherwise. that's why you don't
put baby powder in a lock, but you can use it to put an inner tube in
a bike tire.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Where I am (NY state, near Rochester) they salt the roads a
bit too much. Drivers door locks turn to a lump of grey
silver metal if not oiled once or twice a year. I use WD, or
other liquid lube on drivers door locks. Actually, it's one
of the very few times I use 10w30 motor oil on a lock.

I've heard from others about graphite in humid states like
Texas. I've never lived there, so I can't comment.

Looks like I get to start the flame war on WD? Here goes:
WD-40 is the wrong stuff for lubricating anything, and only
an ignoramussy uses WD. How'd I do?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message
Recently had to have a key made for van door lock I had no
key for.
Locksmith lubed the lock and it wasn't graphite based. I
asked why and he
said because of the high humidity here in the mid-south
graphite is NG.
When combined with moisture it hardens like cement. Have to
take his word
for it. Well established locksmith. Not some matchbook cover
graduate
working out of garage and car.

What did he use? WD-40!

...and the WD-40 thread war is on again :-)

Just an FYI. Just a messenger here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Recently had to have a key made for van door lock I had no key for.
Locksmith lubed the lock and it wasn't graphite based. I asked why and he
said because of the high humidity here in the mid-south graphite is NG.
When combined with moisture it hardens like cement. Have to take his word
for it. Well established locksmith. Not some matchbook cover graduate
working out of garage and car.

What did he use? WD-40!

...and the WD-40 thread war is on again :-)

Just an FYI. Just a messenger here.

Graphite is absolutely not hygroscopic so it doesn't "combine with
moisture" at all. Anyone can demonstrate this by attempting to mix
graphite with water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Where I am (NY state, near Rochester) they salt the roads a
bit too much. Drivers door locks turn to a lump of grey
silver metal if not oiled once or twice a year.

Hmm,why not the passenger side door lock,too? ;-}

I use WD, or
other liquid lube on drivers door locks. Actually, it's one
of the very few times I use 10w30 motor oil on a lock.

I've heard from others about graphite in humid states like
Texas. I've never lived there, so I can't comment.

I use graphite on my outdoor mailbox lock,central Florida,and have had no
problem with it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 7:48*am, Jim Yanik wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote :

Where I am (NY state, near Rochester) they salt the roads a
bit too much. Drivers door locks turn to a lump of grey
silver metal if not oiled once or twice a year.

Hmm,why not the passenger side door lock,too? *;-}

I use WD, or
other liquid lube on drivers door locks. Actually, it's one
of the very few times I use 10w30 motor oil on a lock.

I've heard from others about graphite in humid states like
Texas. I've never lived there, so I can't comment.

I use graphite on my outdoor mailbox lock,central Florida,and have had no
problem with it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

drivers side door gets all the crap from cars going the other way or
from the same way if they drive in the slow lane on a 4-lane road.
Passenger side not a problem unles driven in passing/middle lane on a
4-lane roadway
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:

Hmm,why not the passenger side door lock,too? ;-}

My car, a 2007 Nissan doesn't have a passenger door lock. One of
the few things that annoys me about it. They seem to assume that
I will be using the fob thingie. I don't because I already have
enough stuff in my pockets, I don't need any more.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Recently had to have a key made for van door lock I had no key for.
Locksmith lubed the lock and it wasn't graphite based. I asked why and he
said because of the high humidity here in the mid-south graphite is NG.
When combined with moisture it hardens like cement. Have to take his word
for it. Well established locksmith. Not some matchbook cover graduate
working out of garage and car.

What did he use? WD-40!

...and the WD-40 thread war is on again :-)

Just an FYI. Just a messenger here.

And NEVER squirt graphite into an older GM car's ignition lock, the ones
where the ignition key has a resistor set into it's shank.

DAMHIKT, but I did fix that screwup with liberal injections of denatured
alcohol followed by compressed air. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

Recently had to have a key made for van door lock I had no key for.
Locksmith lubed the lock and it wasn't graphite based. I asked why
and he said because of the high humidity here in the mid-south
graphite is NG. When combined with moisture it hardens like cement.
Have to take his word for it. Well established locksmith. Not some
matchbook cover graduate working out of garage and car.

I was told years ago (by an experienced locksmith) not to use graphite on
locks.

What did he use? WD-40!

...and the WD-40 thread war is on again :-)

Not a bad cleaner for some purposes, I wouldn't count on it to actually
lubricate anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 May 2009 08:15:54 -0500, against all advice, something
compelled BillGill , to say:

My car, a 2007 Nissan doesn't have a passenger door lock.

Neither does my Audi. But the door on the left side does, and I
can use it to unlock both doors. I can also roll down both
windows before getting into the car, if I want to.

--

Real men don't text.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 2 May 2009 07:43:59 -0700, DGDevin wrote:

Red Green wrote:

Recently had to have a key made for van door lock I had no key for.
Locksmith lubed the lock and it wasn't graphite based. I asked why
and he said because of the high humidity here in the mid-south
graphite is NG. When combined with moisture it hardens like cement.
Have to take his word for it. Well established locksmith. Not some
matchbook cover graduate working out of garage and car.

I was told years ago (by an experienced locksmith) not to use graphite on
locks.

What did he use? WD-40!

...and the WD-40 thread war is on again :-)

Not a bad cleaner for some purposes, I wouldn't count on it to actually
lubricate anything.

lubricant of cloice now for locks, Remington gun oil!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Your locksmith probably used spray dry teflon lube. It sprays as a
liquid, then dries to a teflon powder. The advantage in locks is that
the dry teflon doesn't attract or hold dirt like oil does.

On Fri, 01 May 2009 22:34:19 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

Recently had to have a key made for van door lock I had no key for.
Locksmith lubed the lock and it wasn't graphite based. I asked why and he
said because of the high humidity here in the mid-south graphite is NG.
When combined with moisture it hardens like cement. Have to take his word
for it. Well established locksmith. Not some matchbook cover graduate
working out of garage and car.

What did he use? WD-40!

...and the WD-40 thread war is on again :-)

Just an FYI. Just a messenger here.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Red Green wrote:

Recently had to have a key made for van door lock I had no key for.
Locksmith lubed the lock and it wasn't graphite based. I asked why
and he said because of the high humidity here in the mid-south
graphite is NG. When combined with moisture it hardens like cement.
Have to take his word for it. Well established locksmith. Not some
matchbook cover graduate working out of garage and car.

I was told years ago (by an experienced locksmith) not to use graphite on
locks.

What did he use? WD-40!

...and the WD-40 thread war is on again :-)

Not a bad cleaner for some purposes, I wouldn't count on it to actually
lubricate anything.

lubricant of cloice now for locks, Remington gun oil!

I used to use that but when there was a car backfire, the lock
exploded.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 1, 11:34*pm, Red Green wrote:
Recently had to have a key made for van door lock I had no key for.
Locksmith lubed the lock and it wasn't graphite based. I asked why and he
said because of the high humidity here in the mid-south graphite is NG.
When combined with moisture it hardens like cement. Have to take his word
for it. Well established locksmith. Not some matchbook cover graduate
working out of garage and car.

What did he use? WD-40!

* * * * ...and the WD-40 thread war is on again :-)

Just an FYI. Just a messenger here.

The big problem with graphite in locks is that people use too darn
much of it and it just gets packed into the lock. I ve seen people put
half of one of those squeeze tubes in a lock. Also people use graphite
when lubrication is not the problem. Their are graphite bearing
aresols that are very good for locks but you can overuse those too.
Often all you need to do is run a pencil lead (graphite) on your key
if there is a lubrication problem.

JImmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Often all you need to do is run a pencil lead (graphite) on your key
if there is a lubrication problem.

I recommend against using pencil lead as a lubricant. It *does* contain
graphite, but it also contains clay. (The amount of clay is what
determines the hardness.) The clay is abrasive and will not do good
things to the lock.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On May 2, 11:14*pm, "SteveBell" wrote:

I recommend against using pencil lead as a lubricant. It *does* contain
graphite, but it also contains clay. (The amount of clay is what
determines the hardness.) The clay is abrasive and will not do good
things to the lock.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Arlington, TX USA

the clay might be hygroscopic.... which brings us back to the original
post.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Where I am (NY state, near Rochester) they salt the roads
bit too much. Drivers door locks turn to a lump of grey
silver metal if not oiled once or twice a year.

Hmm,why not the passenger side door lock,too? ;-}

CY: That took me many years to figure out. The answer is
that as cars pass each other, the salt sprays up from the
tires. The drivers side faces other traffic. On the
passenger side, it's either parked cars, no cars, or cars
moving at the same speed. So, the drivers side get much more
salt.

I use WD, or
other liquid lube on drivers door locks. Actually, it's
one
of the very few times I use 10w30 motor oil on a lock.

I've heard from others about graphite in humid states like
Texas. I've never lived there, so I can't comment.

I use graphite on my outdoor mailbox lock,central
Florida,and have had no
problem with it.

CY: One vote yes, graphite, from central Florida.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've resolved never to buy a vehicle unless it's got
passenger side locks. I'm not sure how long I will be able
to keep my resolution.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"BillGill" wrote in message

My car, a 2007 Nissan doesn't have a passenger door lock.
One of
the few things that annoys me about it. They seem to assume
that
I will be using the fob thingie. I don't because I already
have
enough stuff in my pockets, I don't need any more.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

Someone, possibly yourself, mentioned that. But, it's a good
reminder. Thank you.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in
message

And NEVER squirt graphite into an older GM car's ignition
lock, the ones
where the ignition key has a resistor set into it's shank.

DAMHIKT, but I did fix that screwup with liberal injections
of denatured
alcohol followed by compressed air. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

What did this locksmith use for lock lube? Maybe something
is better, and we should switch over?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DGDevin" wrote in message
m...

I was told years ago (by an experienced locksmith) not to
use graphite on
locks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I thought you were going to say people kept putting bullets
in your lock?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mm" wrote in message

lubricant of cloice now for locks, Remington gun oil!

I used to use that but when there was a car backfire, the
lock
exploded.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't know if it's still sold. Used to be, you could buy
blue and yellow cans of "Lock Ease, graphited lock fluid". I
hate that stuff. Gets sticky and messy. Well, it did make me
a lot of money at a motel near me that used it every couple
weeks on all their room locks.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

The big problem with graphite in locks is that people use
too darn
much of it and it just gets packed into the lock. I ve seen
people put
half of one of those squeeze tubes in a lock. Also people
use graphite
when lubrication is not the problem. Their are graphite
bearing
aresols that are very good for locks but you can overuse
those too.
Often all you need to do is run a pencil lead (graphite) on
your key
if there is a lubrication problem.

JImmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Top-posting,screwing up the thread "Stormin Mormon"
wrote in
:

"DGDevin" wrote in message
news:2u6dnboJrveywWHUnZ2dnUVZ_hmdnZ2d@earthlink. com...

I was told years ago (by an experienced locksmith) not to
use graphite on locks.

maybe that "experienced locksmith" wants people to not lube their locks
properly so he gets more business.

Yeah,squirt some gummy WD-40 in there.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

BillGill wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote:

Hmm,why not the passenger side door lock,too? ;-}

My car, a 2007 Nissan doesn't have a passenger door lock. One of
the few things that annoys me about it. They seem to assume that
I will be using the fob thingie. I don't because I already have
enough stuff in my pockets, I don't need any more.

Bill

Amen to that- my 05 caravan has 5 doors and 2 locks, drivers door and
hatch. Fob thingie is the head of the ignition key, about the size of a
serving spoon, and 3/8" thick. Keyring loop is so tiny, that if I put it
on the ring, ring won't fit in my pocket without poking me in leg. I
went out and paid an absurd amount for 2 of the 'regular' security keys,
which are also too thick (like all modern car keys), but at least I can
carry they keyring in my pocket. A separate fob, I could almost have
lived with. Now I have to remember to unlock the automagic locks when I
park at a store, so I can open the offside doors to load the packages
when I come back out. A real pain.

Never understood the appeal of fobs and remote locks. You are standing
at the door anyway. I suppose if your arms are full, they may be handy,
but unless your keys are in your hand, you have to juggle packages
anyway. And every car I have ever had with electric locks (the last 5 or
6), at least one door had a solenoid crap out, so you had to lock and
unlock manually anyway. This 05 was young and shiny enough when I got
it, that I paid to have the malfunctioning one fixed, and it was close
to $200. My previous van, a 95 (2 generations back) had a keyhole on
every door. I think they were that way through 01 or 02. Definitely a
poor choice of something to 'decontent' with.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns9C0028E44F94jyanikkuanet@
74.209.136.85:

"DGDevin" wrote in message
news:2u6dnboJrveywWHUnZ2dnUVZ_hmdnZ2d@earthlink .com...

I was told years ago (by an experienced locksmith) not to
use graphite on locks.

maybe that "experienced locksmith" wants people to not lube their locks
properly so he gets more business.

Yeah,squirt some gummy WD-40 in there.

Like I said...just a messenger on this one Jim.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:gtj42s
:

I've resolved never to buy a vehicle unless it's got
passenger side locks. I'm not sure how long I will be able
to keep my resolution.

There were those that resolved:

chrome METAL trim along the door and fenders
a full size spare tire
chrome metal bumper vs brushed plated
a metal bumper
a bumper
etc, etc

:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

[...]

Took me 10 seconds. Cheap f'rs cutting cost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Recently had to have a key made for van door lock I had no key for.
Locksmith lubed the lock and it wasn't graphite based. I asked why and he
said because of the high humidity here in the mid-south graphite is NG.
When combined with moisture it hardens like cement. Have to take his word
for it. Well established locksmith. Not some matchbook cover graduate
working out of garage and car.

What did he use? WD-40!

...and the WD-40 thread war is on again :-)

Just an FYI. Just a messenger here.

Master recommends light oil for padlocks. After all, the usual problem
is corrosion. The argument against oil is that dirt can stick to it.
If you oil your lock, your key may get oily. You drop your key, and it
picks up dirt which ends up in the lock.

Wiping the key could help. Why doesn't somebody invent light oil mixed
with solvent in an aerosol can with a plastic straw? You could use it
to flush dirt out of a lock.

Master says graphite can jam padlocks. I've found that to be true if
you use a pencil to lubricate a car lock and the tip breaks off. I was
glad my neighbors didn't know who had done it. I considered it a
learning experience and used oil on my own car.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 11:33*pm, z wrote:
On May 2, 11:14*pm, "SteveBell" wrote:

I recommend against using pencil lead as a lubricant. It *does* contain
graphite, but it also contains clay. (The amount of clay is what
determines the hardness.) The clay is abrasive and will not do good
things to the lock.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Arlington, TX USA

the clay might be hygroscopic.... which brings us back to the original
post.

That tiny amount of clay will cause no harm. You will get way more
dirt into the lock just from normal use than any amount of clay from
the pencil lead. My father had a business for 44 years. Opened it
every day except Sundays 4 doors with locks 2 deadbolt and 2 padlocks
and never had a problem with any of them. All he ever used was a
little pencil lead once in a while. In the last couple of years he
had the business one lock did fail when a car ran into the door. Im 55
years old, been using pencil lead all my life and have never had one
related problem on any home, vehicle, or business in my care. The use
of pencil lead is intended to maintain the lock, its not any good at
repairing one that is all gunked up. One variation I have seen on ths
over the years is to dust a key with graphite powder, tap off the
excess and then place that in the lock.

Jimmie