Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Graphite in Locks? ...not good sometime

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Where I am (NY state, near Rochester) they salt the roads
bit too much. Drivers door locks turn to a lump of grey
silver metal if not oiled once or twice a year.

Hmm,why not the passenger side door lock,too? ;-}

CY: That took me many years to figure out. The answer is
that as cars pass each other, the salt sprays up from the
tires. The drivers side faces other traffic. On the
passenger side, it's either parked cars, no cars, or cars
moving at the same speed. So, the drivers side get much more
salt.

I use WD, or
other liquid lube on drivers door locks. Actually, it's
one
of the very few times I use 10w30 motor oil on a lock.

I've heard from others about graphite in humid states like
Texas. I've never lived there, so I can't comment.

I use graphite on my outdoor mailbox lock,central
Florida,and have had no
problem with it.

CY: One vote yes, graphite, from central Florida.

took me many years to figure out.

Took me 10 seconds. Cheap f'rs cutting cost.