Posted to alt.home.repair
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default Graphite in Locks? ...not good sometime

Red Green wrote:
Recently had to have a key made for van door lock I had no key for.
Locksmith lubed the lock and it wasn't graphite based. I asked why and he
said because of the high humidity here in the mid-south graphite is NG.
When combined with moisture it hardens like cement. Have to take his word
for it. Well established locksmith. Not some matchbook cover graduate
working out of garage and car.

What did he use? WD-40!

...and the WD-40 thread war is on again :-)

Just an FYI. Just a messenger here.

Master recommends light oil for padlocks. After all, the usual problem
is corrosion. The argument against oil is that dirt can stick to it.
If you oil your lock, your key may get oily. You drop your key, and it
picks up dirt which ends up in the lock.

Wiping the key could help. Why doesn't somebody invent light oil mixed
with solvent in an aerosol can with a plastic straw? You could use it
to flush dirt out of a lock.

Master says graphite can jam padlocks. I've found that to be true if
you use a pencil to lubricate a car lock and the tip breaks off. I was
glad my neighbors didn't know who had done it. I considered it a
learning experience and used oil on my own car.