Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default Graphite in Locks? ...not good sometime

On May 1, 11:34*pm, Red Green wrote:
Recently had to have a key made for van door lock I had no key for.
Locksmith lubed the lock and it wasn't graphite based. I asked why and he
said because of the high humidity here in the mid-south graphite is NG.
When combined with moisture it hardens like cement. Have to take his word
for it. Well established locksmith. Not some matchbook cover graduate
working out of garage and car.

What did he use? WD-40!

* * * * ...and the WD-40 thread war is on again :-)

Just an FYI. Just a messenger here.

graphite doesn't absorb water. i've heard this in theory and you can
see it in reality, with a tube of powdered graphite and a glass of
water. graphite is perfectly nonpolar, and as such mixes as badly with
water as oil does.

TALC absorbs water. it's a decent lube otherwise. that's why you don't
put baby powder in a lock, but you can use it to put an inner tube in
a bike tire.