Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Graphite in Locks? ...not good sometime

On May 1, 11:34*pm, Red Green wrote:
Recently had to have a key made for van door lock I had no key for.
Locksmith lubed the lock and it wasn't graphite based. I asked why and he
said because of the high humidity here in the mid-south graphite is NG.
When combined with moisture it hardens like cement. Have to take his word
for it. Well established locksmith. Not some matchbook cover graduate
working out of garage and car.

What did he use? WD-40!

* * * * ...and the WD-40 thread war is on again :-)

Just an FYI. Just a messenger here.

The big problem with graphite in locks is that people use too darn
much of it and it just gets packed into the lock. I ve seen people put
half of one of those squeeze tubes in a lock. Also people use graphite
when lubrication is not the problem. Their are graphite bearing
aresols that are very good for locks but you can overuse those too.
Often all you need to do is run a pencil lead (graphite) on your key
if there is a lubrication problem.

JImmie