Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Graphite in Locks? ...not good sometime

On May 2, 11:33*pm, z wrote:
On May 2, 11:14*pm, "SteveBell" wrote:

I recommend against using pencil lead as a lubricant. It *does* contain
graphite, but it also contains clay. (The amount of clay is what
determines the hardness.) The clay is abrasive and will not do good
things to the lock.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

the clay might be hygroscopic.... which brings us back to the original
post.

That tiny amount of clay will cause no harm. You will get way more
dirt into the lock just from normal use than any amount of clay from
the pencil lead. My father had a business for 44 years. Opened it
every day except Sundays 4 doors with locks 2 deadbolt and 2 padlocks
and never had a problem with any of them. All he ever used was a
little pencil lead once in a while. In the last couple of years he
had the business one lock did fail when a car ran into the door. Im 55
years old, been using pencil lead all my life and have never had one
related problem on any home, vehicle, or business in my care. The use
of pencil lead is intended to maintain the lock, its not any good at
repairing one that is all gunked up. One variation I have seen on ths
over the years is to dust a key with graphite powder, tap off the
excess and then place that in the lock.

Jimmie