Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Graphite in Locks? ...not good sometime

BillGill wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote:

Hmm,why not the passenger side door lock,too? ;-}

My car, a 2007 Nissan doesn't have a passenger door lock. One of
the few things that annoys me about it. They seem to assume that
I will be using the fob thingie. I don't because I already have
enough stuff in my pockets, I don't need any more.

Bill

Amen to that- my 05 caravan has 5 doors and 2 locks, drivers door and
hatch. Fob thingie is the head of the ignition key, about the size of a
serving spoon, and 3/8" thick. Keyring loop is so tiny, that if I put it
on the ring, ring won't fit in my pocket without poking me in leg. I
went out and paid an absurd amount for 2 of the 'regular' security keys,
which are also too thick (like all modern car keys), but at least I can
carry they keyring in my pocket. A separate fob, I could almost have
lived with. Now I have to remember to unlock the automagic locks when I
park at a store, so I can open the offside doors to load the packages
when I come back out. A real pain.

Never understood the appeal of fobs and remote locks. You are standing
at the door anyway. I suppose if your arms are full, they may be handy,
but unless your keys are in your hand, you have to juggle packages
anyway. And every car I have ever had with electric locks (the last 5 or
6), at least one door had a solenoid crap out, so you had to lock and
unlock manually anyway. This 05 was young and shiny enough when I got
it, that I paid to have the malfunctioning one fixed, and it was close
to $200. My previous van, a 95 (2 generations back) had a keyhole on
every door. I think they were that way through 01 or 02. Definitely a
poor choice of something to 'decontent' with.

--
aem sends...