Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Metric System

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 22:40:29 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Today, with every tick of the atomic clock at the National Bureau of
Standards, Microsoft Windows is booting up somewhere on the planet (often
for the fourth time today).

As long as we are making changes, let's go to the 24 hour clock. No
confusion about AM or PM when the clock strikes 1800 hours.

A pilot was getting a physical exam when the
doctor asked him, "When was the last time you
had sex?" the pilot replied "1959" the doc,
somewhat taken aback said, "That long ago?"
the pilot looked at his watch and said, "It's
only 0835 now". I know, old joke.

TDD

or.......how long has it been since you have had sex?
I don't know. What time is it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 23:28:04 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

Today, with every tick of the atomic clock at the National Bureau of
Standards, Microsoft Windows is booting up somewhere on the planet (often
for the fourth time today).

As long as we are making changes, let's go to the 24 hour clock. No
confusion about AM or PM when the clock strikes 1800 hours.

Very unimaginative. We go to some type of metric day (base 10). We
also go to a metric year (10 months) with 10 (not 12) deciyears, etc.,
etc., etc....
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"HeyBub" wrote in
:

snip

And, to some, a "non-native american [sic]" is an American who is not
an Indian.

That is nitpicking on the hyphen rules grin. But I should have known
better. Our rules say we need to ask our voluteers about their race,
gender & ethnicity. Just a royal PITA. But it's them rules.
--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in
:

snip

And, to some, a "non-native american [sic]" is an American who is not
an Indian.

That is nitpicking on the hyphen rules grin. But I should have
known better. Our rules say we need to ask our voluteers about their
race, gender & ethnicity. Just a royal PITA. But it's them rules.

Hmm. In the U.S., you CAN'T ask about race, gender, and ethnicity.

You are required, however, to keep detailed records on race, gender, and
ethnicity.

As an aside, how often do your volunteer coordinators get slapped up side
the head when they ask "Are you a female, or what?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "HeyBub" wrote:

Hmm. In the U.S., you CAN'T ask about race, gender, and ethnicity.

Nonsense. Job applications ask for that all the time. What's prohibited is to
*require* people to provide that information, or discriminate against them on
the basis of what, or whether, they answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 25, 7:46*pm, Terry wrote:
American's are so stupid that they reject a much easier way of doing
things. *

Systems of linear measurement that utilize dividing by 2 from a real-
world base unit (1 inch, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16...) have been around
longer than metric. It tends to be more naturally ingrained for a
carpenter to work this way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message

One of them was highway speed limit signs in KPH, posted alongside (or
right under) the MPH ones. They disappeared a few years after they went
up, at least they did here in Red Sox Nation.

Jeff

I remember them on the Interstates in the 70s as part of a big push to
change to metric. Then they gave up.

In Florida, the Interstate highway nearby has signs that proclaim that the
next exit is 1 1/4 miles ahead.
Interesting that our odometers don't have quarter miles on them.
One day while I was musing about what was going on, I realized that it is
almost exactly 2 kilometers.

Is there a hidden agenda in there someplace?

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

Today, with every tick of the atomic clock at the National Bureau of
Standards, Microsoft Windows is booting up somewhere on the planet
(often
for the fourth time today).

As long as we are making changes, let's go to the 24 hour clock. No
confusion about AM or PM when the clock strikes 1800 hours.

Very unimaginative. We go to some type of metric day (base 10). We
also go to a metric year (10 months) with 10 (not 12) deciyears, etc.,
etc., etc....

Keeping that idea, would those posters and lurkers who either are not in
the US or are in the US but are not natives post a note with the following
bit of information.

What is the reference country?
How are eggs sold there by the dozen or by ten?

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 8:28*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

Today, with every tick of the atomic clock at the National Bureau of
Standards, Microsoft Windows is booting up somewhere on the planet (often
for the fourth time today).

As long as we are making changes, let's go to the 24 hour clock. No
confusion about AM or PM when the clock strikes 1800 hours.

Btu, but, but...Think of chaos caused by people who rely on the
striking for their time. So I'm having my afternoon nap and wonder if
it is time to get up. Clock stikes 17 but I fall back asleep before I
can count that high.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 7:08*am, RickH wrote:
On Apr 25, 7:46*pm, Terry wrote:

American's are so stupid that they reject a much easier way of doing
things. *

Systems of linear measurement that utilize dividing by 2 from a real-
world base unit (1 inch, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16...) have been around
longer than metric. *It tends to be more naturally ingrained for a
carpenter to work this way.

Only for those who grew up in that system. I did. I also spent 6
years in Germany. I learned to do all my "carpentry" in metric and
much prefer that system.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "HeyBub"
wrote:

Hmm. In the U.S., you CAN'T ask about race, gender, and ethnicity.

Nonsense. Job applications ask for that all the time. What's
prohibited is to *require* people to provide that information, or
discriminate against them on
the basis of what, or whether, they answer.

You're right. Still, to avoid the appearance of discrimination...

My ex-wife worked for the telephone company and was in charge of the
department that maintained personnel records. At one point, they were under
a federal judicial (consent) order prohibiting the recording of any
employee's race or sex. Meanwhile, they had to provide tabulations to the
EEOC monthly breaking out department totals by, inter alia, race and sex!

Here's how they did it:

They had a category (among many others) called "12-2-9 punch in column 7"
which meant "Caucasian." No where in any file was that translation defined;
those who needed to know, knew.

I blame this procedure for making her insane.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 07:08:17 -0700 (PDT), RickH
wrote:

On Apr 25, 7:46*pm, Terry wrote:
American's are so stupid that they reject a much easier way of doing
things. *

Systems of linear measurement that utilize dividing by 2 from a real-
world base unit (1 inch, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16...) have been around
longer than metric. It tends to be more naturally ingrained for a
carpenter to work this way.

It is intuitive to cut things in half but......

How many times have you asked yourself in your life........how many
pints/quarts are in a gallon?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 08:00:10 -0700 (PDT), harry k
wrote:

On Apr 27, 7:08*am, RickH wrote:
On Apr 25, 7:46*pm, Terry wrote:

American's are so stupid that they reject a much easier way of doing
things. *

Systems of linear measurement that utilize dividing by 2 from a real-
world base unit (1 inch, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16...) have been around
longer than metric. *It tends to be more naturally ingrained for a
carpenter to work this way.

Only for those who grew up in that system. I did. I also spent 6
years in Germany. I learned to do all my "carpentry" in metric and
much prefer that system.

If you do any building and try to transfer measurements from prints to
structure you will realize in a flash how much better it is to use
metric scale.

The guy that uses 1ft = 3/16 scale on the prints should be shot. They
do make some handy architect rules to make that easier, but they don't
let us have them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

In article ,

On 2009-04-26, Lynn wrote:
and you waste your time thinking about what measurement system a bunch of
fat, lazy, burger eating, bible thumping, hypocritical, cowardly morons
use?

Reminds me of my favorite T-Shirt, which was issued years ago in response
to a similar comment that came from the Japanese. It has picture of an
atomic bomb going off and the caption: "Built by lazy, illiterate Americans.
Tested in Japan."

The metric system sucks ass. We don't want it, and furthermore we don't
give a rat's ass what bunch of effete Eurotrash may have to say about it.

No wonder the rest of the world hates us, with ignorant, arrogant
assholes like you purporting to speak for us.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

Smitty Two wrote:

Reminds me of my favorite T-Shirt, which was issued years ago in
response to a similar comment that came from the Japanese. It has
picture of an atomic bomb going off and the caption: "Built by lazy,
illiterate Americans. Tested in Japan."

The metric system sucks ass. We don't want it, and furthermore we
don't give a rat's ass what bunch of effete Eurotrash may have to
say about it.

No wonder the rest of the world hates us, with ignorant, arrogant
assholes like you purporting to speak for us.

And we care what the rest of the world thinks exactly why?

Now there ARE some whose sense of self-worth is entirely dependent on the
approbation of strangers (i.e., all celebrities, most liberals, etc.).

Pity, really.

On the other side, there are those I do admire (although they could care
less).

RING-RING

"Hello"
"Dr Feynmann?"
"Yes"
"Dr Richard P. Feynmann?"
"(sigh) Yes"
"Dr Feynmann, my name is Joe Blow. I am the ambassador to the Court of King
Gustav V of Norway. It is my distinct pleasure to tell you that you have
been awarded the 1986 Nobel Prize in Physics!"
"Do you have any idea what the hell time it is in California?"
"....uh, no..."
"It is three o'clock in the goddamn morning! Call back after nine!"

CLICK

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Apr 25, 7:46*pm, Terry wrote:
American's are so stupid that they reject a much easier way of doing
things. *

Systems of linear measurement that utilize dividing by 2 from a real-
world base unit (1 inch, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16...) have been around
longer than metric. *It tends to be more naturally ingrained for a
carpenter to work this way.

It is intuitive to cut things in half but......

How many times have you asked yourself in your life........how many
pints/quarts are in a gallon?

repeatedly and I have to dig into the tables in the dictionary to be
sure. Comes up a lot when trying to scale down commercial herbicide
amounts to a 2 1/2 gal back pack sprayer (that is the biggest sprayer
use).

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

On 2009-04-27, Smitty Two wrote:

No wonder the rest of the world hates us, with ignorant, arrogant
assholes like you purporting to speak for us.

What "the rest of the world" thinks is of no consequence. *

What is your rationale for that thought?
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

In article ,
Roger Blake wrote:
The metric system sucks ass. We don't want it, and furthermore we don't
give a rat's ass what bunch of effete Eurotrash may have to say about it.

You must have your head well buried if you think you can ignore 'the
metric system'. Whether you want it or not it's here.

--
*The average person falls asleep in seven minutes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:18:51 -0700 (PDT), in alt.home.repair, harry k
wrote:

On Apr 27, 9:57=A0am, Metspitzer wrote:
It is intuitive to cut things in half but......

How many times have you asked yourself in your life........how many
pints/quarts are in a gallon?

repeatedly and I have to dig into the tables in the dictionary to be
sure. Comes up a lot when trying to scale down commercial herbicide
amounts to a 2 1/2 gal back pack sprayer (that is the biggest sprayer
use).

If you have an herbicide that calls for (say) 1:36 dilution, is it easier to
have a 10 quart sprayer, or a 10 liter sprayer?

If anything, I'd wish for a 60-based system of measurements. With sixty of
something, it's easy to divide it evenly into halves, thirds, quarters,
fifths, sixths, tenths, twelfths, fifteenths, twentieths, and thirtieths.

I think it's slightly easier to fractionate feet and gallons, although it's
harder to change units; metric makes unit changes easy, but if you want a
fraction other than a half or a tenth, too bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"Charlie" wrote in
:

wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

Today, with every tick of the atomic clock at the National Bureau
of Standards, Microsoft Windows is booting up somewhere on the
planet (often
for the fourth time today).

As long as we are making changes, let's go to the 24 hour clock. No
confusion about AM or PM when the clock strikes 1800 hours.

Very unimaginative. We go to some type of metric day (base 10). We
also go to a metric year (10 months) with 10 (not 12) deciyears,
etc., etc., etc....

Keeping that idea, would those posters and lurkers who either are not
in the US or are in the US but are not natives post a note with the
following bit of information.

What is the reference country?
How are eggs sold there by the dozen or by ten?

Charlie

Born in Holland. Eggs are sold by 10's like everything (appropriate)
else. The concept of a dozen exists, but don't ask for a dozen of this
or that.

Decimal pounds (1 pond=500 g=0.5 kilo) used to be a common unit, but
somewhat less so these days.

Decimal "ounces" (1 ons=100 g).

Dutch Albert Heyn main website: http://www.ah.nl/not responsible for
web content. Efteling is something between 6 Flags and Disneyworld (I
think).

Parent (Royal Ahold) owns Stop&Shop and other US supermarkets.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

harry k wrote in
:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

Today, with every tick of the atomic clock at the National Bureau
of Standards, Microsoft Windows is booting up somewhere on the
planet (oft

en
for the fourth time today).

As long as we are making changes, let's go to the 24 hour clock. No
confusion about AM or PM when the clock strikes 1800 hours.

Btu, but, but...Think of chaos caused by people who rely on the
striking for their time. So I'm having my afternoon nap and wonder if
it is time to get up. Clock stikes 17 but I fall back asleep before I
can count that high.

Harry K

Official announcement are in 24 hr format, people talk about 3 hr
"afternoon's", not 15:00.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Han wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in
:

snip

And, to some, a "non-native american [sic]" is an American who is
not an Indian.

That is nitpicking on the hyphen rules grin. But I should have
known better. Our rules say we need to ask our voluteers about their
race, gender & ethnicity. Just a royal PITA. But it's them rules.

Hmm. In the U.S., you CAN'T ask about race, gender, and ethnicity.

Yes, you can for our record keeping.

You are required, however, to keep detailed records on race, gender,
and ethnicity.

As an aside, how often do your volunteer coordinators get slapped up
side the head when they ask "Are you a female, or what?"

We present them with a sheet asking them to check of the boxes. One of
the boxes says something like prefer not to state. Here in the NY area,
some/many do check off more than 1 race.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Our records are locked and only accessible by certain people in our group.
All records for publication and discussion with other ivestigators are by
case number or equivalent. No personal identification permitted or
possible. Period.

But I won't tell what the VA Research office requires.
--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message

Today, with every tick of the atomic clock at the National Bureau of
Standards, Microsoft Windows is booting up somewhere on the planet (often
for the fourth time today).

As long as we are making changes, let's go to the 24 hour clock. No
confusion about AM or PM when the clock strikes 1800 hours.

Btu, but, but...Think of chaos caused by people who rely on the
striking for their time. So I'm having my afternoon nap and wonder if
it is time to get up. Clock stikes 17 but I fall back asleep before I
can count that high.

Easily solved. Either use some version of the sailor's bells or, since
it's Samuel Morse's birthday (218 years young), do it in Morse code.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message

Today, with every tick of the atomic clock at the National Bureau
of Standards, Microsoft Windows is booting up somewhere on the
planet (often for the fourth time today).

As long as we are making changes, let's go to the 24 hour clock. No
confusion about AM or PM when the clock strikes 1800 hours.

Btu, but, but...Think of chaos caused by people who rely on the
striking for their time. So I'm having my afternoon nap and wonder
if it is time to get up. Clock stikes 17 but I fall back asleep
before I can count that high.

Easily solved. Either use some version of the sailor's bells or, since
it's Samuel Morse's birthday (218 years young), do it in Morse code.

I read recently where the last official use of Morse Code called it quits.
Some weather ship off the coast of Iceland. So, now, Morse Code, like
logarithms becomes an artifact of an earlier age.

Which really screws me! I was halfway through translating the New Testament
into Morse Code (to be billed as the translation for the scholar who has
every other translation).

Now I'm doomed to living off the royalties of my earlier book, "Toilet
Tissue Origami - The Ultimate Book for the John." Regrettably, sales of this
book are in the toilet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote:
Our records are locked and only accessible by certain people in our
group. All records for publication and discussion with other
ivestigators are by case number or equivalent. No personal
identification permitted or possible. Period.

But I won't tell what the VA Research office requires.

Same thing here. They locked up my ex-wife.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Apr 27, 9:57=A0am, Metspitzer wrote:
It is intuitive to cut things in half but......

How many times have you asked yourself in your life........how many
pints/quarts are in a gallon?

repeatedly and I have to dig into the tables in the dictionary to be
sure. Comes up a lot when trying to scale down commercial herbicide
amounts to a 2 1/2 gal back pack sprayer (that is the biggest sprayer
use).

If you have an herbicide that calls for (say) 1:36 dilution, is it
easier to have a 10 quart sprayer, or a 10 liter sprayer?

I know maths is hard, but here's a hint: It doesn't matter.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

On Apr 27, 12:40*pm, Roger Blake wrote:

The metric system sucks ass. We don't want it, and furthermore we don't
give a rat's ass what bunch of effete Eurotrash may have to say about it.

For some values of "we". I, on the other hand, wish we would convert
metric for the same reasons that many other posters have cited.

And, on a more frivolous note:
What woman wouldn't prefer to suddenly weigh what looks like half
what she did previously?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 5:56*am, (Scott) wrote:
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 03:26:33 GMT, in alt.home.repair,

(Doug Miller) wrote:
In article 49f63be4.89236544@localhost, (Scott) wrote:

If you have an herbicide that calls for (say) 1:36 dilution, is it easier to
have a 10 quart sprayer, or a 10 liter sprayer?

Ten liters, *obviously*.

Obviously? *Tell us the numbers then.

Hint Number One: 1 qt = *32* ounces, not 36.

No ****, halfwit, why do you think I picked 36?

And perhaps you overlook that if we were all metric, the
instructions, containers, etc. would be tailored to the metric
system. But never expect a person trying to make an illogical point
to see the obvious.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

On Apr 28, 7:34*am, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:
On Apr 27, 12:40*pm, Roger Blake wrote:

The metric system sucks ass. We don't want it, and furthermore we don't
give a rat's ass what bunch of effete Eurotrash may have to say about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

Eeyore wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Roger Blake wrote:
The metric system sucks ass. We don't want it, and furthermore we
don't give a rat's ass what bunch of effete Eurotrash may have to
say about it.

You must have your head well buried if you think you can ignore 'the
metric system'. Whether you want it or not it's here.

And used by 96% of the world's population.

We don't ignore it. We're ****ed that pop comes in liters as a way of
fooling us into thinking it's a quart, so we don't mind paying more per
bottle. It would be only slightly less false if they called it a "metric
quart."

And 96% of the world's population gets by on less than $30,000 per person
per year.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Apr 27, 12:40 pm, Roger Blake wrote:

The metric system sucks ass. We don't want it, and furthermore we
don't give a rat's ass what bunch of effete Eurotrash may have to
say about it.

For some values of "we". I, on the other hand, wish we would convert
metric for the same reasons that many other posters have cited.

And, on a more frivolous note:
What woman wouldn't prefer to suddenly weigh what looks like half
what she did previously?

Cindy Hamilton

Or see her bra size go from 34 to 75!

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

On Apr 28, 10:35*am, Eeyore
wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

And used by 96% of the world's population.

Graham

Shhhh, dont let Obama know that, or we'll have to retool all our
factories. He's got this fixation with making us more like Europe and
all.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

On Apr 28, 12:46*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

* *Roger Blake wrote:
The metric system sucks ass. We don't want it, and furthermore we
don't give a rat's ass what bunch of effete Eurotrash may have to
say about it.

You must have your head well buried if you think you can ignore 'the
metric system'. Whether you want it or not it's here.

And used by 96% of the world's population.

We don't ignore it. We're ****ed that pop comes in liters as a way of
fooling us into thinking it's a quart, so we don't mind paying more per
bottle. It would be only slightly less false if they called it a "metric
quart."

snip

You do realize that a liter contains more than a quart?

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

Eeyore wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Roger Blake wrote:
The metric system sucks ass. We don't want it, and furthermore we
don't give a rat's ass what bunch of effete Eurotrash may have to
say about it.
You must have your head well buried if you think you can ignore 'the
metric system'. Whether you want it or not it's here.
And used by 96% of the world's population.

We don't ignore it. We're ****ed that pop comes in liters as a way of
fooling us into thinking it's a quart, so we don't mind paying more per
bottle. It would be only slightly less false if they called it a "metric
quart."

snip

You do realize that a liter contains more than a quart?

Harry K

I'll bet he does but if you remember when metric was phased in by
bottlers they trumpeted that you got more but if you compared the
price/unit volume went up. It really didn't matter because most folks
believe what marketing tells them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

In article
,
RickH wrote:
On Apr 28, 10:35 am, Eeyore
wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

And used by 96% of the world's population.

Graham

Shhhh, dont let Obama know that, or we'll have to retool all our
factories.

You could start by trimming properly. I didn't 'wrote' that.

He's got this fixation with making us more like Europe and
all.

Are you saying your factories don't already use metric components?

--
*Procrastinate now

Metric tap set El Cazador Metalworking 4 August 9th 07 05:41 AM
metric sparkplugs?? mm Home Repair 20 November 25th 06 01:27 AM
Looking for good combination square with Metric system support [email protected] Woodworking 7 August 17th 06 03:18 AM
Looking for good combination square with Metric system support [email protected] Woodworking 0 August 13th 06 01:59 PM
Damn Metric System david lang UK diy 6 August 29th 05 09:23 PM