Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

Default OT Metric System

On Apr 30, 5:12*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
harry k wrote:

And the longer the conversion is put off, the more problems such as
that there will be. *We should have done it back when it was tried. It
was the troglodytes that short stopped it.

No. "If you wait until the last minute, then the project will only take a
minute."

If we delay metrication until all the manufacturing jobs move to Bangladesh,
then we'll have that much fewer machines and such to convert.

Think of the savings.

Good point!! In addition the switchover will be almost painless as
noone will be able to function unless they do use metric. Everything
on the market will be metric sized.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 8:07*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article 49f84fcc.225424262@localhost, (Scott) wrote:
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 23:44:06 GMT, in alt.home.repair,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

Nope, did it in my head. The calculation is trivial.

Apparently not.

Definitely better: I got the right answer.

No, you didn't. *9.73/0.27 36. *1/36 cannot be represented exactly in
decimal, nor sesquidecimal for that matter, which is (surprise) why I picked
it as a counterexample. *You also rounded your answer incorrectly.

It would appear that your difficulties in obtaining the correct answer
yourself, in understanding why my answer is correct, and in understanding why
your answer is not, stem from your initial misconception that the fraction
1/36 has anything _at_all_ to do with computing the proportions required to
obtain a 1:36 ratio in a given volume.

If a solution has the proportions 1 part solute to 36 parts solvent, the
solute is one thirty-*seventh* of the total volume. Not one thirty-sixth.

And doesn't even need to be calculated. Dump 1 gallon or one liter of
product into the container and add 36 equal measures of the dilutant.
Exact dilution and no calculations needed.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , harry k wrote:

And doesn't even need to be calculated. Dump 1 gallon or one liter of
product into the container and add 36 equal measures of the dilutant.
Exact dilution and no calculations needed.

Except that it would be handy, on occasion, to know if your container was
going to be large enough to hold the final product *before* you start
mixing...
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

"Eeyore" wrote in message

JB wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Roger Blake wrote:
The metric system sucks ass. We don't want it, and furthermore we

don't
give a rat's ass what bunch of effete Eurotrash may have to say

about
it.

You must have your head well buried if you think you can ignore 'the
metric system'. Whether you want it or not it's here.

So What! We just use BOTH anyway!
If we cared so much about what Europeans thought, we might have

sympathized
with the Nazis TOO!

The metric system's not 'European', it's WORLDWIDE, except for a slab of

America and 2 backward states in Africa and Asia.

Graham

What slab of N. America? WE USE METRIC AND A VARIETY OF OTHER MEASURING
UNITS! WE HAVE TO CONVERT ALL THE TIME IN OUR HEADS WHEN WE SHOP! PITA
burden for sending out money all over the World for cheap crap!
I got news for you... BINARY is WORLDWIDE!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
harry k wrote:

And doesn't even need to be calculated. Dump 1 gallon or one liter
of product into the container and add 36 equal measures of the
dilutant. Exact dilution and no calculations needed.

Except that it would be handy, on occasion, to know if your container
was
going to be large enough to hold the final product *before* you start
mixing...

So put one part in a container. Add 18 parts dilutant. Mix it up.

Discard half.

Add 18 more parts dilutant.

OR

Put half of base amount in container. Add 18 parts dilutant.

OR

You get the idea.

It is theorized that, with every breath we take, one molecule of Ceaser's
dying words "Et tu, Brute?" are mixed with the volume of air we take in. I
like to think, instead, that I'm in some small way, reliving that night in
the backseat of a '55 Ford when the object of my affections screamed an
exultant 'Yippee!'

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "HeyBub" wrote:

So put one part in a container. Add 18 parts dilutant. Mix it up.

Discard half.

Add 18 more parts dilutant.

Try again. That does *not* result in a 1:36 dilution.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
harry k wrote:

And doesn't even need to be calculated. Dump 1 gallon or one liter
of product into the container and add 36 equal measures of the
dilutant. Exact dilution and no calculations needed.

Except that it would be handy, on occasion, to know if your container
was
going to be large enough to hold the final product *before* you start
mixing...

So put one part in a container. Add 18 parts dilutant. Mix it up.

Discard half.

Add 18 more parts dilutant.

OR

Put half of base amount in container. Add 18 parts dilutant.

OR

You get the idea.

Sounds like someone went to government school. I think you deserve an A+
anyway because you did make an attempt.

Metric tap set El Cazador Metalworking 4 August 9th 07 05:41 AM
metric sparkplugs?? mm Home Repair 20 November 25th 06 01:27 AM
Looking for good combination square with Metric system support [email protected] Woodworking 7 August 17th 06 03:18 AM
Looking for good combination square with Metric system support [email protected] Woodworking 0 August 13th 06 01:59 PM
Damn Metric System david lang UK diy 6 August 29th 05 09:23 PM