Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

Default OT Metric System

RickH wrote:

On Apr 28, 10:35 am, Eeyore
wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

And used by 96% of the world's population.

Graham

Shhhh, dont let Obama know that, or we'll have to retool all our
factories. He's got this fixation with making us more like Europe and
all.

1/2, 1/4, 1/16, 1/32 of an AMP? VOLT?

Not in electronics. We use the metric system all day every day.

By not using the metric system we hasten our decline in the 21st
century.

Well, at least we have Liberia and Myanmar to keep us company.

JAM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 07:46:24 -0700 (PDT), in alt.home.repair, harry k
wrote:

And perhaps you overlook that if we were all metric, the
instructions, containers, etc. would be tailored to the metric
system. But never expect a person trying to make an illogical point
to see the obvious.

What logic? People exposed to metric all their lives see imperial as
inferior, vice versa for those raised with imperial. Just a matter of what
you know best. Me, I grew up in the US right as they were trying to
metrify. I learned both systems and can use either easily.

Spambait, did you need a calculator to come up with 9.73:0.27 L? Was that
easier/better/more intuitive than computing 312:9 oz?

Both systems have their weak points, and share some. I still contend that
they're both lousy when it comes to dividing the measurement space into
fractions. C'mon, anybody got any love for base-60 scales? I use one every
day myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

HeyBub wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Roger Blake wrote:

The metric system sucks ass. We don't want it, and furthermore we
don't give a rat's ass what bunch of effete Eurotrash may have to
say about it.

You must have your head well buried if you think you can ignore 'the
metric system'. Whether you want it or not it's here.

And used by 96% of the world's population.

We don't ignore it. We're ****ed that pop comes in liters as a way of
fooling us into thinking it's a quart, so we don't mind paying more per
bottle. It would be only slightly less false if they called it a "metric
quart."

Trust me, you get used to it faster than you might think. And I can still buy
a pint ( 568 ml over here - yours is smaller ) in a pub, or drive a mile down
a road ( special exemptions for tradition ). I wouldn't calculate in pints or
miles though.

We also finally got rid of BTUs too Thank God, so heating systems are now
rated in kW, so it's easy to compare electric with hot water based.

And 96% of the world's population gets by on less than $30,000 per person
per year.

Don't think the USA has the highest per capita income. Those are found in
Europe mostly and some Far East countries. In fact the CIA Factbook rates the
USA as #8.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...PP)_per_capita

Graham

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

"RickH" wrote in message

Shhhh, dont let Obama know that, or we'll have to retool all our
factories. He's got this fixation with making us more like Europe and
all.

Our products would be more welcomed overseas if they were metric. Yes, I
know of sales lost becuase some items could not be made in metric
dimensions.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

RickH wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

And used by 96% of the world's population.

Shhhh, dont let Obama know that, or we'll have to retool all our
factories. He's got this fixation with making us more like Europe and
all.

You probably use metric already more than you realise.

Graham

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

harry k wrote:

We don't ignore it. We're ****ed that pop comes in liters as a way of
fooling us into thinking it's a quart, so we don't mind paying more
per bottle. It would be only slightly less false if they called it a
"metric quart."

snip

You do realize that a liter contains more than a quart?

Harry K

See what I mean! They're doing all this **** just to CONFUSE us, so they can
rip us off. Eventually.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

And just what IS the need to divide into fractions. Decimals work
just as well, better even as they are simpler.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry k wrote:

And just what IS the need to divide into fractions. Decimals work
just as well, better even as they are simpler.

Negotiation. Did you ever see the movie "Wheeler Dealers" with James Garner?

"I'll take a point five interest on your point three-seven-five over-ride on
those squiggly ones and a point oh-six-five bit of those blue things if you
throw in a point six-two-five on the reddish ones!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 20:15:40 -0700 (PDT), in alt.home.repair, harry k
wrote:

And just what IS the need to divide into fractions. Decimals work
just as well, better even as they are simpler.

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand fractions. Okay, divide ten
liters of beer fairly between yourself and two of your mates.

Of course we cannot accept the obvious answer, which is to have three apiece
and hide the last one to drink later by yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
And just what IS the need to divide into fractions. *Decimals work
just as well, better even as they are simpler.

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand fractions. *Okay, divide ten
liters of beer fairly between yourself and two of your mates.

Of course we cannot accept the obvious answer, which is to have three apiece
and hide the last one to drink later by yourself.

..333L per person and measure it with a common laboratory beaker. Now
divide 1 gallon into 3 without doing a conversion into ounces first.

No matter how you play with odd fractions, measures or amounts the
metric will always be simpler and faster. In the case of your 1:36.
had it been expressed in metric, the math would have been one dividing
operation. In out screwed up system, you would have to do a couple
of conversions after you had your division to have a meaningful
answer.

As for dividing a board in thirds, you can do that with nothing but a
piece of string or using a tape without even having to do any math in
either system.

Harry K

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

You all are confusing exact and required precision.
(apart from mistakes, which are soooo much easier to make using the US
measurements systems.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

Eeyore wrote:

RickH wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

And used by 96% of the world's population.

Shhhh, dont let Obama know that, or we'll have to retool all our
factories. He's got this fixation with making us more like Europe and
all.

You probably use metric already more than you realise.

Graham

Yep, my "American made truck" is all metric. Except for the lug nuts!

JAM
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

On Apr 28, 8:32*pm, Eeyore
wrote:
RickH wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

And used by 96% of the world's population.

Shhhh, dont let Obama know that, or we'll have to retool all our
factories. *He's got this fixation with making us more like Europe and
all.

You probably use metric already more than you realise.

Graham

The water pipe and electrical conduit in my house is 1 inch, 1/2 inch,
3/4 inch. I think any transition will still require stores to stock
fittings in both metric and inch for generations to come.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

The last 1 L beer I had was on the Place du Tertre, quite a while ago. My
wife still recalls ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

RickH wrote:
On Apr 28, 8:32 pm, Eeyore
wrote:
RickH wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

And used by 96% of the world's population.

Shhhh, dont let Obama know that, or we'll have to retool all our
factories. He's got this fixation with making us more like Europe
and all.

You probably use metric already more than you realise.

Graham

The water pipe and electrical conduit in my house is 1 inch, 1/2 inch,
3/4 inch. I think any transition will still require stores to stock
fittings in both metric and inch for generations to come.

Regarding the water aspect, that's been the case here in the UK for
decades - and will continue to be!

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

Frank Galikanokus wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
RickH wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

And used by 96% of the world's population.

Shhhh, dont let Obama know that, or we'll have to retool all our
factories. He's got this fixation with making us more like Europe and
all.

You probably use metric already more than you realise.

Graham

Yep, my "American made truck" is all metric. Except for the lug nuts!

Funnily enough, I actually prefer some US threads to metric ones which are too
fine IMHO for routine applications like screwing lids on. 4-40 and 6-32 UNC ?
come to mind. Plus M3 is a bit small for that on larger equipment and M4 is
too big. There is an M3.5 but try finding them !

Graham

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

RickH wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
RickH wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

And used by 96% of the world's population.

Shhhh, dont let Obama know that, or we'll have to retool all our
factories. He's got this fixation with making us more like Europe and
all.

You probably use metric already more than you realise.

The water pipe and electrical conduit in my house is 1 inch, 1/2 inch,
3/4 inch. I think any transition will still require stores to stock
fittings in both metric and inch for generations to come.

It was like that here too. Now we have 25, 19 and 12 mm. They seem to be
compatible.

Graham

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

Eeyore wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Roger Blake wrote:

[...]

Per capita is pretty meaningless with a small population. A few hundred
uber-rich can skew the numbers, even if most of the population is living
in mud huts.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

aemeijers wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Roger Blake wrote:

[...]

Singapore and Norway - population ~ 5 million. Hardly small.
Even Qatar has 1.5 million.

Graham

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 14:38:31 -0500, in alt.home.repair, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Divide eight liters of beer fairly between yourself and *four*
buddies. Easy and obvious: 1600 ml apiece.

First, you'll have to find five 1600 ml beer steins...

You could use 2-quart pitchers....

Why would I want to do that? If I've got eight beers, I don't have four
buddies.

I have eight beers!

Hah! I like the way this man thinks!

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

On Apr 29, 12:43*pm, RickH wrote:
On Apr 28, 8:32*pm, Eeyore
wrote:

RickH wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

And used by 96% of the world's population.

Shhhh, dont let Obama know that, or we'll have to retool all our
factories. *He's got this fixation with making us more like Europe and
all.

You probably use metric already more than you realise.

Graham

The water pipe and electrical conduit in my house is 1 inch, 1/2 inch,
3/4 inch. *I think any transition will still require stores to stock
fittings in both metric and inch for generations to come.

And the longer the conversion is put off, the more problems such as
that there will be. We should have done it back when it was tried. It
was the troglodytes that short stopped it.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Roger Blake wrote:
The metric system sucks ass. We don't want it, and furthermore we don't
give a rat's ass what bunch of effete Eurotrash may have to say about

it.

You must have your head well buried if you think you can ignore 'the
metric system'. Whether you want it or not it's here.

So What! We just use BOTH anyway!
If we cared so much about what Europeans thought, we might have sympathized
with the Nazis TOO!

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 14:58:19 -0400, Frank Galikanokus
wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

RickH wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

And used by 96% of the world's population.

Shhhh, dont let Obama know that, or we'll have to retool all our
factories. He's got this fixation with making us more like Europe and
all.

You probably use metric already more than you realise.

Graham

Yep, my "American made truck" is all metric. Except for the lug nuts!

....and almost certainly the seat belt mounts.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:
The water pipe and electrical conduit in my house is 1 inch, 1/2 inch,
3/4 inch. I think any transition will still require stores to stock
fittings in both metric and inch for generations to come.

It was like that here too. Now we have 25, 19 and 12 mm. They seem to be
compatible.

Copper tube equivalents to 1, 3/4 and 1/2in are 28, 22 and 15mm. And are
compatible from any maker. Plastic tends to vary outside diameter wise so
tend to need fittings from the same maker.

--
*A day without sunshine is like... night.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

Roger Blake wrote:
The metric system sucks ass. We don't want it, and furthermore we don't
give a rat's ass what bunch of effete Eurotrash may have to say about
it.

You must have your head well buried if you think you can ignore 'the
metric system'. Whether you want it or not it's here.

So What! We just use BOTH anyway!
If we cared so much about what Europeans thought, we might have sympathized
with the Nazis TOO!

The metric system's not 'European', it's WORLDWIDE, except for a slab of N
America and 2 backward states in Africa and Asia.

Graham

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
The water pipe and electrical conduit in my house is 1 inch, 1/2 inch,
3/4 inch. I think any transition will still require stores to stock
fittings in both metric and inch for generations to come.

It was like that here too. Now we have 25, 19 and 12 mm. They seem to be
compatible.

Copper tube equivalents to 1, 3/4 and 1/2in are 28, 22 and 15mm.

Oops, got them wrong. Isn't it o/d vs i/d ?

Graham

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

harry k wrote:

And the longer the conversion is put off, the more problems such as
that there will be. We should have done it back when it was tried. It
was the troglodytes that short stopped it.

No. "If you wait until the last minute, then the project will only take a
minute."

If we delay metrication until all the manufacturing jobs move to Bangladesh,
then we'll have that much fewer machines and such to convert.

Think of the savings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 03:02:32 GMT, in alt.home.repair,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

Make up your mind.

On Usenet? Surely you jest.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

RickH writes:

On Apr 28, 8:32*pm, Eeyore
wrote:
RickH wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

And used by 96% of the world's population.

Shhhh, dont let Obama know that, or we'll have to retool all our
factories. *He's got this fixation with making us more like Europe and
all.

You probably use metric already more than you realise.

Graham

The water pipe and electrical conduit in my house is 1 inch, 1/2 inch,
3/4 inch. I think any transition will still require stores to stock
fittings in both metric and inch for generations to come.

Pipe fittings are the same old 1/2", 3/4", 1", but they are called
R15, R20, R25 in the metric world.

CU pipes have real metric sizes though, 12mm, 15mm, 22mm etc, and
thesee are the actual outer diameter.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

Eeyore writes:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
The water pipe and electrical conduit in my house is 1 inch, 1/2 inch,
3/4 inch. I think any transition will still require stores to stock
fittings in both metric and inch for generations to come.

It was like that here too. Now we have 25, 19 and 12 mm. They seem to be
compatible.

Copper tube equivalents to 1, 3/4 and 1/2in are 28, 22 and 15mm.

Oops, got them wrong. Isn't it o/d vs i/d ?

Graham

CU pipes are o/d, steel pipes are i/d.

Metric tap set El Cazador Metalworking 4 August 9th 07 05:41 AM
metric sparkplugs?? mm Home Repair 20 November 25th 06 01:27 AM
Looking for good combination square with Metric system support [email protected] Woodworking 7 August 17th 06 03:18 AM
Looking for good combination square with Metric system support [email protected] Woodworking 0 August 13th 06 01:59 PM
Damn Metric System david lang UK diy 6 August 29th 05 09:23 PM