david lang

Default Damn Metric System

Hi All

Been laying 600 x 600 slabs all day, absolutely knackered.

Just realised why - those 600 x 600 slabs weigh a lot more than the old 24"
x 24" ones used to and the 25 kilo bags of mortar are much heavier than the
old 56 lb bags where.

Not to mention the ground is now further away than it used to be.

I blame the metric system.

Dave

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

david lang wrote:
Hi All

'Ello

Snip strenuous labours

Not to mention the ground is now further away than it used to be.

I've noticed that too, and gravity is stronger than it used to be.

Si

Matt

"david lang" wrote:

Hi All

Been laying 600 x 600 slabs all day, absolutely knackered.

Just realised why - those 600 x 600 slabs weigh a lot more than the old 24"
x 24" ones used to and the 25 kilo bags of mortar are much heavier than the
old 56 lb bags where.

Not to mention the ground is now further away than it used to be.

I blame the metric system.

Assuming equal thickness the 600x600 slabs are 3.2256% lighter than 24
x 24 slabs

The 25kg bags are 1.607% less than the 56lb ones.

You usually shrink with age so the ground is closer

So its clearly not the metric system. Blame the French instead ;-)

Broadback

Matt wrote:
"david lang" wrote:

Hi All

Been laying 600 x 600 slabs all day, absolutely knackered.

Just realised why - those 600 x 600 slabs weigh a lot more than the old 24"
x 24" ones used to and the 25 kilo bags of mortar are much heavier than the
old 56 lb bags where.

Not to mention the ground is now further away than it used to be.

I blame the metric system.

Assuming equal thickness the 600x600 slabs are 3.2256% lighter than 24
x 24 slabs

The 25kg bags are 1.607% less than the 56lb ones.

You usually shrink with age so the ground is closer

So its clearly not the metric system. Blame the French instead ;-)

Mungo is right, gravity is definitely getting stronger, I've noticed it
in particular since I reached 60. :-(
Mary Fisher

"david lang" wrote in message
k...
Hi All

Been laying 600 x 600 slabs all day, absolutely knackered.

Just realised why - those 600 x 600 slabs weigh a lot more than the old
24" x 24" ones used to and the 25 kilo bags of mortar are much heavier
than the old 56 lb bags where.

Not to mention the ground is now further away than it used to be.

I blame the metric system.

I blame the parents.

Mary

Dave

Steve Walker

Broadback wrote:
Matt wrote:
"david lang" wrote:

Not to mention the ground is now further away than it used to
be. I blame the metric system.

You usually shrink with age so the ground is closer

So its clearly not the metric system. Blame the French instead
;-)

Mungo is right, gravity is definitely getting stronger, I've
noticed it in particular since I reached 60. :-(

But it only appears to take effect after noon - I find it a real struggle to
get my feet on the floor when the alarm clock goes off.

Mary Fisher

"Steve Walker" wrote in message

Mungo is right, gravity is definitely getting stronger, I've
noticed it in particular since I reached 60. :-(

But it only appears to take effect after noon - I find it a real struggle
to get my feet on the floor when the alarm clock goes off.

Yes - the alarm has no effect whatsoever.

Pressure in the bladder is another story ...

Mary