Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air conditioner screen

I would like to make one. When I had my A/C replaced, I certainly
didn't expect it to be noisier than the old one. I worry that it might
be bothering my neighbors. Ditto my pool filter, it's on the same
side. So I would like to put a wood screen to try to dull the noise
for them.

Probably bothers me more than them.

On tv, you just go to Lowe's or Home Depot and grab an attractive
wood screen and put it up, presto changeo. In real life, I've looked
and looked and I never see them in the store. Ideally I'd like to just
buy a nice looking screen panel maybe 3' high.

So, I guess I have to make my own. I got a book to see how this
would be constructed. Here's the thing, and my question. finally.

I don't have much in the way of wood working tools. In the past
when I wanted to make something, say a raised flower bed or a
shelf, I would go buy 2Xwhatevers and ask them to cut one or two
in half, or to a length.

Question, how far can you go with this? Can I go to the lumber yard
and say I need 10 boards cut to 36 inch lengths, 20 other boards cut
the same way, whatever? Or are they going to say, lady, we're not
a hobby shop. Cut your own wood. (laugh) What's the deal?

Thanks.

nancy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 8:53*am, "Nancy Young" wrote:
[...]

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/h...cy-screen.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nancy Young wrote:
[...]

Try a real local lumber yard. Around here there are at least 3 that have
shops that will do such cutting very reasonably. As a bonus they buy
better quality wood so you don't have to pick through piles of wood to
get a few good pieces.

Another option would be to search for a local fence company. They
probably even stock the sort of panel you want in either wood or resin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 08:53:12 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

Question, how far can you go with this? Can I go to the lumber yard
and say I need 10 boards cut to 36 inch lengths, 20 other boards cut
the same way, whatever? Or are they going to say, lady, we're not
a hobby shop. Cut your own wood. (laugh) What's the deal?

These days most building supply companies are not that busy. I would
call around and ask if they can provide you with "X" number of 36"
pieces and "X" whatever you are using for rails etc.
They will either say they are not equipped to do that or quote you a
price.

I think you can even get the HD/Lowes people to do these cuts for "X"
per cut. (over their "free" maximum) That will really be up to the
people at each store. If you are buying enough stuff they might do it
for free.
Just plan it all out so you know what you need and get a few extras.

Okay, thanks! So I know this is something they're prepared to do
for a fee if necessary. I feel better about asking, then. I'll just
have to figure out what I need.

nancy
Posted to alt.home.repair

The magic of T1-11...
On a much smaller scale of course, you could do something like I did:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joearno...20080/sizes/o/

One sheet of T1-11 and a few PT 2x4's and 4x4's should be enough.

Mine was to hide the pool system, AC equipment and provide a garden tool
shed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote

Nancy Young wrote:

I don't have much in the way of wood working tools. In the past when I
wanted to make something, say a raised flower bed or a
shelf, I would go buy 2Xwhatevers and ask them to cut one or two
in half, or to a length.
Question, how far can you go with this?

Try a real local lumber yard. Around here there are at least 3 that have
shops that will do such cutting very reasonably. As a bonus they buy
better quality wood so you don't have to pick through piles of wood to
get a few good pieces.

Oh, okay! I hadn't considered that. I usually buy from a local
place because I don't want to drive too far with lumber hanging
out the back of my car anyway. I didn't know their lumber was
likely better, too.

Another option would be to search for a local fence company. They
probably even stock the sort of panel you want in either wood or resin.

Thanks very much. I will do that.

nancy
Posted to alt.home.repair

"1D10T" wrote in message
The magic of T1-11...
On a much smaller scale of course, you could do something like I did:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joearno...20080/sizes/o/

One sheet of T1-11 and a few PT 2x4's and 4x4's should be enough.

Mine was to hide the pool system, AC equipment and provide a garden tool
shed.

Ha ha! That's great. My siding is T1-11, too. Great job, a little
beyond my skills. Heh.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Limp Arbor" wrote

On Apr 20, 8:53 am, "Nancy Young" wrote:

On tv, you just go to Lowe's or Home Depot and grab an attractive
wood screen and put it up, presto changeo. In real life, I've looked
and looked and I never see them in the store. Ideally I'd like to just
buy a nice looking screen panel maybe 3' high.

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/home/improvements/678-resin-outdoor-privacy-screen.html

Thanks so much for looking that up for me. I have seen the vinyl
screens, however they would look out of place with my house
color. You wouldn't think white would clash, but it does.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Nancy Young" wrote:

[...]

I agree with others that most places will do this, at some nominal "per
cut" charge. I'd say you're more likely to get more accurate cuts at a
real lumber yard. Tell them in advance that you don't own a saw and you
need the cuts to be accurate.

But I'll suggest something else that others didn't mention: I don't
think your plan is going to block a noticeable amount of noise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 10:47*am, "1D10T" wrote:
The magic of T1-11...
On a much smaller scale of course, you could do something like I did:http://www.flickr.com/photos/joearno...20080/sizes/o/

One sheet of T1-11 and a few PT 2x4's and 4x4's should be enough.

Mine was to hide the pool system, AC equipment and provide a garden tool
shed.

Nice Shed. Can I have it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

"Nancy Young" wrote:

I would like to make one. When I had my A/C replaced, I certainly
didn't expect it to be noisier than the old one. I worry that it
might be bothering my neighbors. Ditto my pool filter, it's on the
same side. So I would like to put a wood screen to try to dull the
noise for them.

I agree with others that most places will do this, at some nominal
"per cut" charge. I'd say you're more likely to get more accurate
cuts at a real lumber yard. Tell them in advance that you don't own a
saw and you need the cuts to be accurate.

Good advice.

But I'll suggest something else that others didn't mention: I don't
think your plan is going to block a noticeable amount of noise.

I think it will muffle it to some extent, I'm willing to give it a try
anyway. I hope there's some reduction in noise. There is a
good 40 feet or so between their bedroom window and my
pool filter.

Thanks.

nancy
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
[...]

*Maybe a fence supplier or a nursery would have something suitable. Have
you considered the possibility of using bushes as a sound buffer?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "John Grabowski" wrote:

*Maybe a fence supplier or a nursery would have something suitable. Have
you considered the possibility of using bushes as a sound buffer?

I too think that's a very sound suggestion ;-)

Select an evergreen species carefully to minimize any issues
with leaves and twigs causing problems with the pool, pool
equipment, and a/c unit.

A good nurseryman should be able to offer some constructive
suggestions.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 11:18*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
*"Nancy Young" wrote:

[...]

think your plan is going to block a noticeable amount of noise.- Hide quoted text -

I don't think your plan is going to block a noticeable amount of
noise

I once saw an episode of TOH where the owner had to deal with street
noise - i.e. traffic.

The landscape designer suggested a very low stone wall along the front
of the lot. When questioned by one of the crew, she said that since
most of the noise comes from the tires, all it would take is a very
low wall to lessen the noise considerably.

Now, I'm not saying that everything they do or say on TOH is 100%
correct, but I would think that something like that would have been
verified before it went on the air. I can picture any one of the TOH
guys throwing out an off-camera "Huh? Are you sure?"

So, if a low wall will lessen traffic noise "considerably", I'd think
a tall wall around a AC unit would certainly have an impact.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't think your plan is going to block a noticeable amount of
noise

I once saw an episode of TOH where the owner had to deal with street
noise - i.e. traffic.

The landscape designer suggested a very low stone wall along the front
of the lot. When questioned by one of the crew, she said that since
most of the noise comes from the tires, all it would take is a very
low wall to lessen the noise considerably.

Now, I'm not saying that everything they do or say on TOH is 100%
correct, but I would think that something like that would have been
verified before it went on the air. I can picture any one of the TOH
guys throwing out an off-camera "Huh? Are you sure?"

So, if a low wall will lessen traffic noise "considerably", I'd think
a tall wall around a AC unit would certainly have an impact.

It would need to be a very *solid* tall wall. A small stockade fence
will just pass the sound through. A small brick or stone wall, not so
much.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nancy Young wrote:
"Limp Arbor" wrote

On Apr 20, 8:53 am, "Nancy Young" wrote:

On tv, you just go to Lowe's or Home Depot and grab an attractive
wood screen and put it up, presto changeo. In real life, I've looked
and looked and I never see them in the store. Ideally I'd like to
just buy a nice looking screen panel maybe 3' high.

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/home/improvements/678-resin-outdoor-privacy-screen.html

Thanks so much for looking that up for me. I have seen the vinyl
screens, however they would look out of place with my house
color. You wouldn't think white would clash, but it does.

If your hand fits a can of spray paint, you're good to go.

Hint: If you use a can in each hand, the job takes only half the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
Question, how far can you go with this? Can I go to the lumber yard
and say I need 10 boards cut to 36 inch lengths, 20 other boards cut
the same way, whatever? Or are they going to say, lady, we're not
a hobby shop. Cut your own wood. (laugh) What's the deal?

Some will, some won't. If you see a shop that says "lumber & millwork" they
will. Figure out what you need a make a few phone calls

Another method is to find a neighbor that does woodworking as a hobby. Most
of us would gladly do the work for free or for a cup of coffee or a six
pack. Just a neighborly thing to do. Ask your neighbors or co-workers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I just put up a couple of fence sections and covered it in siding that
matched the house. From a short distance it matches the house and it
is pretty much invisible. Covers HVAC utility connections and trash
cans. Putting up large garden tools such as the tiller and lawnmower
(tool shed is elevated a couple of feet) are a bit of a bother
especially if I plan on using them again the next day so under these
conditions I just put them away behind the fence until Im done with
them for a while.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 20 Apr 2009 05:53:12a, Nancy Young told us...

[...]

I've never had a problem having either Lowes or Home Depot cutting any
quantity of wood for me. The last project was replacing the shelves in all
the kitchen cabinets. I didn't like what came with the house. Lowes had
prefinished shelving in 8 foot lengths. I think I bought 8 or 9 of them,
but had them cut in very precise sections, ending up with 30 odd pieces.
They were very cooperative.

--
Wayne Boatwright
A jazz musician can improvise based on his knowledge of music. He

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Grabowski wrote:
"Nancy Young" wrote

I would like to make one. When I had my A/C replaced, I certainly
didn't expect it to be noisier than the old one. I worry that it
might
be bothering my neighbors. Ditto my pool filter, it's on the same
side. So I would like to put a wood screen to try to dull the noise
for them.

Have you considered the possibility of using bushes as a sound buffer?

I'm sorry I didn't respond to this earlier, I just saw it now.

I have thought of that, and I did actually start towards that,
but both the pool filter and the A/C unit are in areas where
nothing grows because of large maples. I'm not having
any success with that. I have considered growing some
kind of vine on any screen I put up.

Watch, they'll be the only vines that don't take over my whole
yard, a first. Heh. Thanks for the idea. I am going to look
for a fence company, there are a couple that I know of. I
don't want to spend a fortune, but I wonder if this project is
out of my league because of my lack of appropriate tools.

nancy