Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring cable

I asked a question some time ago about Internet wiring. Since Iwill be
opening walls I want to run the TV cable to the same rooms I will be
running Cat5e cable. What the best way to put splitters. Right now I
have 2-way splitter at the entrance. One end goes into family room
with TV and another goes to office with cable modem. I need to run
cable to three more bedrooms upstairs. The best would be to replace 2-
way splitter with three-way splitter and run one end to the artic and
then put there three-way splitter and run cable to each bedroom. Will
it work?

Also what kind if splitters are the best?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ls02" wrote in message
I asked a question some time ago about Internet wiring. Since Iwill be
opening walls I want to run the TV cable to the same rooms I will be
running Cat5e cable. What the best way to put splitters. Right now I
have 2-way splitter at the entrance. One end goes into family room
with TV and another goes to office with cable modem. I need to run
cable to three more bedrooms upstairs. The best would be to replace 2-
way splitter with three-way splitter and run one end to the artic and
then put there three-way splitter and run cable to each bedroom. Will
it work?

Also what kind if splitters are the best?

*It would work, but the more splitters the more potential for lower picture
quality. I would try and keep the splitters to a minimum. I recommend doing
all home runs to one area and just get one big splitter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 7:01*am, ls02 wrote:
I asked a question some time ago about Internet wiring. Since Iwill be
opening walls I want to run the TV cable to the same rooms I will be
running Cat5e cable. What the best way to put splitters. Right now I
have 2-way splitter at the entrance. One end goes into family room
with TV and another goes to office with cable modem. I need to run
cable to three more bedrooms upstairs. The best would be to replace 2-
way splitter with three-way splitter and run one end to the artic and
then put there three-way splitter and run cable to each bedroom. Will
it work?

Also what kind if splitters are the best?

Since you are sealing them in walls why not bump up to cat6? for now
cat5e is sufficient, bur when it get to be 10gb on networks, the
difference will show.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 8:24*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"ls02" wrote in message

I asked a question some time ago about Internet wiring. Since Iwill be
opening walls I want to run the TV cable to the same rooms I will be
running Cat5e cable. What the best way to put splitters. Right now I
have 2-way splitter at the entrance. One end goes into family room
with TV and another goes to office with cable modem. I need to run
cable to three more bedrooms upstairs. The best would be to replace 2-
way splitter with three-way splitter and run one end to the artic and
then put there three-way splitter and run cable to each bedroom. Will
it work?

Also what kind if splitters are the best?

*It would work, but the more splitters the more potential for lower picture
quality. I would try and keep the splitters to a minimum. *I recommend doing
all home runs to one area and just get one big splitter.

That's how new homes are done. Home runs to a central distribution
panel that includes the required splitting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ls02" wrote in message

I asked a question some time ago about Internet wiring. Since Iwill be
opening walls I want to run the TV cable to the same rooms I will be
running Cat5e cable. What the best way to put splitters. Right now I
have 2-way splitter at the entrance. One end goes into family room
with TV and another goes to office with cable modem. I need to run
cable to three more bedrooms upstairs. The best would be to replace 2-
way splitter with three-way splitter and run one end to the artic and
then put there three-way splitter and run cable to each bedroom. Will
it work?

Also what kind if splitters are the best?

*It would work, but the more splitters the more potential for lower picture
quality. I would try and keep the splitters to a minimum. *I recommend doing
all home runs to one area and just get one big splitter.

What does it mean "one area"? I can have one-two many splitter at
entrance and run cables to each individual bedroom from that the only
splitter. It will require more cable and wiring but I can do this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ls02" wrote in message

[...]

Definitely install home runs from each location to a central point. As far
as splitters go, I would have the cable company determine this. My cable
company will do a signal strength test on each line to determine how much
signal is required, then install splitters accordingly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ls02" wrote in message

[...]

*I mean to one central location close to where your cable TV service now
comes into the house. I would not bring them outside. Maybe take one of the
existing lines off of the existing two way splitter and use that empty slot
to feed all of the new home runs. Refeed the existing cable that was
disconnected from the new central location. They make splitters that can
handle many cables so don't use a bunch of two-way and three-way's. Use RG6
quad shield cable for your runs for optimum picture quality.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ls02" wrote in message

[...]

Regarding the Internet wiring....,

In a small office where I work, we wired each room for the Internet and ran
each room's Internet cable each back to a central location. In the central
location, we have what is called a "patch panel". Each Internet cable home
run from each room is connected to a slot on the patch panel. In the same
room, we have the incoming cable Internet service modem and a router. Then,
to connect the Internet to a specific room, we use a patch cable that goes
from the router to the plug-in slot on the patch panel that is connected to
that specific room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
On Apr 10, 7:01 am, ls02 wrote:
I asked a question some time ago about Internet wiring. Since Iwill be
opening walls I want to run the TV cable to the same rooms I will be
running Cat5e cable. What the best way to put splitters. Right now I
have 2-way splitter at the entrance. One end goes into family room
with TV and another goes to office with cable modem. I need to run
cable to three more bedrooms upstairs. The best would be to replace 2-
way splitter with three-way splitter and run one end to the artic and
then put there three-way splitter and run cable to each bedroom. Will
it work?

Also what kind if splitters are the best?

Since you are sealing them in walls why not bump up to cat6? for now
cat5e is sufficient, bur when it get to be 10gb on networks, the
difference will show.

* I agree that CAT 6 is the way to go for a network. I had assumed he was
using the CAT 5e for telephone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ls02" wrote in message

[...]

The ideal spot for the cable modem and router is at the desk of the
main computer. This way you can see in a glance if the network is
down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ls02 wrote:
I asked a question some time ago about Internet wiring. Since Iwill be
opening walls I want to run the TV cable to the same rooms I will be
running Cat5e cable. What the best way to put splitters. Right now I
have 2-way splitter at the entrance. One end goes into family room
with TV and another goes to office with cable modem. I need to run
cable to three more bedrooms upstairs. The best would be to replace 2-
way splitter with three-way splitter and run one end to the artic and
then put there three-way splitter and run cable to each bedroom. Will
it work?

Also what kind if splitters are the best?

the best way is to run "home runs" to every location from a central
point. Do the 'splitting' and mixing at that point.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:
On Apr 10, 7:01 am, ls02 wrote:
I asked a question some time ago about Internet wiring. Since Iwill be
opening walls I want to run the TV cable to the same rooms I will be
running Cat5e cable. What the best way to put splitters. Right now I
have 2-way splitter at the entrance. One end goes into family room
with TV and another goes to office with cable modem. I need to run
cable to three more bedrooms upstairs. The best would be to replace 2-
way splitter with three-way splitter and run one end to the artic and
then put there three-way splitter and run cable to each bedroom. Will
it work?

Also what kind if splitters are the best?

Since you are sealing them in walls why not bump up to cat6? for now
cat5e is sufficient, bur when it get to be 10gb on networks, the
difference will show.

the cat5 will work just fine. The same way that cat3 does the job just
fine right now.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

On Apr 10, 7:01 am, ls02 wrote:

[...]

Cat 6 is unnecessary, full stop. That said, the incremental cost isn't
great, so you may as well use it on the off chance it will some day be
desirable.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 05:01:18 -0700 (PDT), ls02
wrote:

I asked a question some time ago about Internet wiring. Since Iwill be
opening walls I want to run the TV cable to the same rooms I will be
running Cat5e cable. What the best way to put splitters. Right now I
have 2-way splitter at the entrance. One end goes into family room
with TV and another goes to office with cable modem. I need to run
cable to three more bedrooms upstairs. The best would be to replace 2-
way splitter with three-way splitter and run one end to the artic and
then put there three-way splitter and run cable to each bedroom. Will
it work?

Also what kind if splitters are the best?

If you string splitters one after another, you'll need signal
amplifers periodically in the string. I put in my coax after the
house was built. I have a central location in my bedroom with two
strings leaving from there, providing signal to 8 locations, and where
every second splitter would be, I had to use a 110 volt signal
amplifier. I would never embed them in the wall even if it were easy.

Most of this is avoided by using a fully central location. Although
if hte power splitter ever fails (and I don't know how often this
happens(, if it fails completely, which I think it woudl, it will take
out every co-ax location and require the replacement of the main power
splitter.

That doesn't mean your central location should be at your bedroom, but
what you should consider are two things a) distributing internet
radio from your computer to devices that make sound, and b)
distributing internet television from your computer to your tvs. My
friend is willing to watch a few tv shows at her desk, but I want them
to be everywhere I can watch tv, with good seating, bigger screens if
I ever get a bigger screen, and in the kitchen for when I want to
watch while eating.

I probably only have to run one coax from the office PC to the bedroom
central location for the tv, but I haven't done it yet, and I don't
know your situation and if there's a better way to connect the
locations. I would rather run speaker wires for the radio connections
than have to play the radio through tv's, which will put added wear on
the tv and use maybe 30 times as much current. Especially since when
I play broadcast radio, I may have the radios in 5 locations on 3
floors, for a total of about 40 watts. 30 times would be 240 watts,
and that's too much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
The ideal spot for the cable modem and router is at the desk of the
main computer. This way you can see in a glance if the network is
down.

Guess mine's not ideal then. LOL! Mine's out in a detached garage.
(where the receiver is mounted on the south side) Speedwave RF internet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What the best way to put splitters. Right now I
have 2-way splitter at the entrance. One end goes into family room
with TV and another goes to office with cable modem. I need to run
cable to three more bedrooms upstairs. The best would be to replace 2-
way splitter with three-way splitter and run one end to the artic and
then put there three-way splitter and run cable to each bedroom. Will
it work?

It will work, just remember, a 3-way splitter has two -7db outputs
and one -3.5db outputs. put the cable modem on the -3.5db output as
you will want the least signal loss for your cable modem and also if
you have VOIP phone service. The TV signal is not as critical

Also what kind if splitters are the best?

As long as they go up to 900 MHZ or better, you should be fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 19:45:02 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

ls02 wrote:
I asked a question some time ago about Internet wiring. Since Iwill be
opening walls I want to run the TV cable to the same rooms I will be
running Cat5e cable. What the best way to put splitters. Right now I
have 2-way splitter at the entrance. One end goes into family room
with TV and another goes to office with cable modem. I need to run
cable to three more bedrooms upstairs. The best would be to replace 2-
way splitter with three-way splitter and run one end to the artic and
then put there three-way splitter and run cable to each bedroom. Will
it work?

Also what kind if splitters are the best?

the best way is to run "home runs" to every location from a central
point. Do the 'splitting' and mixing at that point.

AMEN!
My incoming signal hits a 6-way splitter, and then home runs out to
the TVs. I have a TV co-located with my internet, and the modem is
split out at that point
www.hometech.com/video/splitters.html#primer and/or
http://svr10.hometech.com/kb/questio...questionoid=47
Posted to alt.home.repair

starrin wrote:

ls02 wrote:
the best way is to run "home runs" to every location from a central
point. Do the 'splitting' and mixing at that point.

AMEN!
My incoming signal hits a 6-way splitter, and then home runs out to
the TVs. I have a TV co-located with my internet, and the modem is
split out at that point
www.hometech.com/video/splitters.html#primer and/or
http://svr10.hometech.com/kb/questio...questionoid=47

I read the first link, but I am not sure about one thing.....,

Does the signal loss through a splitter depend on how many devices (TV's,
for example) are actually connected to the splitter and drawing a signal?
Or, is the signal loss just based on the number of splits in the splitter
itself?

For example, if I have a 4-room apartment that I want to pre-wire, does it
matter whether I use an 8-way splitter and put two lines in each room or use
a 4-way splitter and putting one line in each room?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 7:01*am, ls02 wrote:
I asked a question some time ago about Internet wiring. Since Iwill be
opening walls I want to run the TV cable to the same rooms I will be
running Cat5e cable. What the best way to put splitters. Right now I
have 2-way splitter at the entrance. One end goes into family room
with TV and another goes to office with cable modem. I need to run
cable to three more bedrooms upstairs. The best would be to replace 2-
way splitter with three-way splitter and run one end to the artic and
then put there three-way splitter and run cable to each bedroom. Will
it work?

Also what kind if splitters are the best?

For cable, get a small (2 way) distribution amp instead of splitting
so many times, withe the DA you will not lose signal quality also the
2 way DA will support digital interactions. Mount the DA close to the
entry then home run each room from there with RG6 Quad Shield cables.
Also suggest you run a send and receive cable to each room so that you
can watch devices in other rooms by re-distributing RF.

I'm running gigabit speed on my LAN using cat5e right now, but for the
little extra cost I would do cat6 again home run from a central
switch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

BetaB4 wrote:

starrin wrote:

ls02 wrote:
[...]

If I remember correctly, Splitters list the loss of RF on each port. 8way
will have tons of loss, you might need an amp. If you googled I'm sure you
could find more info on this.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to alt.home.repair

evodawg wrote:
If I remember correctly, Splitters list the loss of RF on each port.
8way will have tons of loss, you might need an amp. If you googled
I'm sure you could find more info on this.

Thanks. I htink that's what the article you provided was saying, but I
wasn't sure. I'll do a little Googling and see if I can find out for sure.
If it is the way we think it is, I'll probably just put one outlet in each
room to avoid needing a main splitter with too many splits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

BetaB4 wrote:

evodawg wrote:
If I remember correctly, Splitters list the loss of RF on each port.
8way will have tons of loss, you might need an amp. If you googled
I'm sure you could find more info on this.

Thanks. I htink that's what the article you provided was saying, but I
wasn't sure. I'll do a little Googling and see if I can find out for
sure. If it is the way we think it is, I'll probably just put one outlet
in each room to avoid needing a main splitter with too many splits.

There is a lot more to this then just the splitter loss. You also get loss
in the cable per 100 feet. You probably want to use RG-56 Triple shielded
for less loss than RG-59. I also believe the loss on a splitter is the loss
before anything is hooked to it. It's best to run home runs to each outlet
but in your application you might want to run home runs to each unit then
split. Like I said you will probably need an amp. where all these home runs
come together. You're going to have a lot of loss. Sometimes the cable
companies can change the face plate of the tap to gain you more RF or run a
hard line into a central location and have the tap right there. Cable
outfits will sometimes do this for free depending if they can justify the
cost to revenue per unit.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.biz/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 12:37:31 -0700, evodawg
wrote:

BetaB4 wrote:

evodawg wrote:
[...]

My cable provider (rogers) did all the cable work for free, including
splitters. My main line comes into a 3 way wideband 5-1000mhz)
splitter with 1 3.3db and 2 7db taps. The 3.5 goes to a second 3 way
wideband splitter. One 7 goes to the cable modem, and one to the
digital TV box. From the second splitter, the 3.5 gos to the tv
farthest from the splitter, the 2 7db taps go to the basement tv and
the tuner card on my basement computer.

Both splitters are Regal model ZDS3DGH10 if that helps. All cabling
is quad sheild commscope RG6.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*My cable provider (rogers) did all the cable work for free, including
splitters. My main line comes into a 3 way wideband *5-1000mhz)
splitter with 1 3.3db and 2 7db taps. The 3.5 goes to a second 3 way
wideband splitter. One 7 goes to the cable modem, and one to the
digital TV box.

The cable modem should really come out of the 3.5db port. You will
notice better performance in your computer, also if you have VOIP
phone service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Does a hard wired home LAN make sense anymore? I did that when I moved
into this house 10 years ago but WiFi would be my choice today. Heck,
had to use WiFi to connect to a basement computer anyway.

If you have analog CATV now you should bear in mind that digital CATV
may be just around the corner from your CATV provider. Those digital
CATV boxes (one for each TV) are must less forgiving when it comes to
splitting and the quality of cables. Rather than repeat, hear are some
links you should be aware of;

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/cabletech
http://www.cabletvamps.com/Info/TV_AMP_EDUCATION.htm

On Apr 10, 8:01*am, ls02 wrote:
I asked a question some time ago about Internet wiring. Since Iwill be
opening walls I want to run the TV cable to the same rooms I will be
running Cat5e cable. What the best way to put splitters. Right now I
have 2-way splitter at the entrance. One end goes into family room
with TV and another goes to office with cable modem. I need to run
cable to three more bedrooms upstairs. The best would be to replace 2-
way splitter with three-way splitter and run one end to the artic and
then put there three-way splitter and run cable to each bedroom. Will
it work?

Also what kind if splitters are the best?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

BetaB4 wrote:

evodawg wrote:
If I remember correctly, Splitters list the loss of RF on each port.
8way will have tons of loss, you might need an amp. If you googled
I'm sure you could find more info on this.

Thanks. I htink that's what the article you provided was saying, but I
wasn't sure. I'll do a little Googling and see if I can find out for
sure. If it is the way we think it is, I'll probably just put one outlet
in each room to avoid needing a main splitter with too many splits.

There is a lot more to this then just the splitter loss. You also get loss
in the cable per 100 feet. You probably want to use RG-56

Is that anything like RG-6, which is easier to find around here?

Triple shielded
for less loss than RG-59. I also believe the loss on a splitter is the loss
before anything is hooked to it. It's best to run home runs to each outlet
but in your application you might want to run home runs to each unit then
split. Like I said you will probably need an amp. where all these home runs
come together. You're going to have a lot of loss. Sometimes the cable
companies can change the face plate of the tap to gain you more RF or run a
hard line into a central location and have the tap right there. Cable
outfits will sometimes do this for free depending if they can justify the
cost to revenue per unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 04:11:01 -0700 (PDT), Mike rock
wrote:

Â*My cable provider (rogers) did all the cable work for free, including
splitters. My main line comes into a 3 way wideband Â*5-1000mhz)
splitter with 1 3.3db and 2 7db taps. The 3.5 goes to a second 3 way
wideband splitter. One 7 goes to the cable modem, and one to the
digital TV box.

The cable modem should really come out of the 3.5db port. You will
notice better performance in your computer, also if you have VOIP
phone service.

No, because then you have 3.5+3.5 plus 4 connectors - each pair of
which is something like 3.5db (total of ~14db) loss.for the digital
tv. The cable tech that did the install explained why he did it this
way - the cable modem is less than a foot from the splitter and the
cable modem does not need as strong a signal as the digital box. The
digital box has only 2 connectors and the splitter - and it and the
modem both finally work just fine. With digital they don't reccomend
wall jacks because the add another connector and its associated
losses..
Posted to alt.home.repair

John Grabowski posted for all of us...

*It would work, but the more splitters the more potential for lower picture
quality. I would try and keep the splitters to a minimum. I recommend doing
all home runs to one area and just get one big splitter.

This is the BEST way fot Tv ask any competent cable guy. Also use a splitter
rated for the bandwidth in use. Not the 19 bux special.

--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 14:29:02 -0400, "BetaB4"
wrote:

evodawg wrote:
If I remember correctly, Splitters list the loss of RF on each port.
8way will have tons of loss, you might need an amp. If you googled
I'm sure you could find more info on this.

Thanks. I htink that's what the article you provided was saying, but I
wasn't sure. I'll do a little Googling and see if I can find out for sure.
If it is the way we think it is, I'll probably just put one outlet in each
room to avoid needing a main splitter with too many splits.

You should definitely put two outlets in each room (on opposite
walls); I wish I'd done that. You don't have to make them all
"active" -- just the ones that will actually be used. Run all of the
wires to a central location, label them, and connect just the in-use
ones. You'll thank yourself when you rearrange the furniture and just
have to go change one connection at the central splitter (or, in my
case, curse the fact that you didn't install an outlet on *that* side
of the room).

Same with Cat5e/6 runs -- run them and leave them unconnected at the
wiring hub until needed. I suspect you'll never sit around and wish
you hadn't run a particular wire, but you will regret the one you
decided not to run someday.

Josh

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Josh" wrote in message
You should definitely put two outlets in each room (on opposite
walls); I wish I'd done that. You don't have to make them all
"active" -- just the ones that will actually be used. Run all of the
wires to a central location, label them, and connect just the in-use
ones. You'll thank yourself when you rearrange the furniture and just
have to go change one connection at the central splitter (or, in my
case, curse the fact that you didn't install an outlet on *that* side
of the room).

Same with Cat5e/6 runs -- run them and leave them unconnected at the
wiring hub until needed. I suspect you'll never sit around and wish
you hadn't run a particular wire, but you will regret the one you
decided not to run someday.

Makes sense. I think the only drawback may be that this will be pre-wiring
for an apartment that I am doing over and that will be rented out to a
tenant. If I put 2 outlets per room, I think I would need to make them both
live because the tenant won't have access to the wiring hub area at will.

Cable wiring [email protected] Home Ownership 9 January 28th 09 03:06 AM
Cable TV Wiring SMS Home Repair 14 February 26th 08 05:55 PM
wiring code - cable stackers [email protected] Home Repair 4 October 10th 05 03:34 AM
cable width for wiring thermostat Louise Campos UK diy 5 August 15th 04 10:18 PM
cable trays for domestic electric wiring the yorkshire dalesman UK diy 2 November 30th 03 03:12 PM