Posted to alt.home.repair

Default WD-40

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 18:48:56 -0600, Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

I got this slightly old can of WD-40.

From the git-go, if I needed a tiny bit of lube, about the least the
thing would apply was around 14 times as much as needed.

Now the can is 1/3 full, it stops spraying altogether. I thought it was
the spray-head, but I depress the stem on the valve and nothing come
out. I know there's still propellent in it. Looks like the cheapo valve
clogged its silly self.

Right on into the trash can. Right?

Seems to me the older WD-40 cans (from the 80's) worked better'n this.

Know of a comparable commonly available product with a good valve and
spray-head?

You can buy WD-40 in gallon cans and put it into pump bottles. Then the
quality of the sprayer is completely up to you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
I got this slightly old can of WD-40.

From the git-go, if I needed a tiny bit of lube, about the least the
thing would apply was around 14 times as much as needed.

Now the can is 1/3 full, it stops spraying altogether. I thought it
was the spray-head, but I depress the stem on the valve and nothing
come out. I know there's still propellent in it. Looks like the
cheapo valve clogged its silly self.

Right on into the trash can. Right?

Seems to me the older WD-40 cans (from the 80's) worked better'n this.

Know of a comparable commonly available product with a good valve and
spray-head?

Thx,
Peetie

WD-40 is not a lubricant. (actually it's not much of anything) So
you've picked the wrong product to begin with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Steve Barker wrote:

WD-40 is not a lubricant. (actually it's not much of anything) So
you've picked the wrong product to begin with.

Is that so? The MSDS for the aerosol version lists 15-25% by weight of
"petroleum based oil" as well as 45-50% by weight of "aliphatic
hydrocarbons."

While they don't specify what those aliphatic hydrocarbons are, the
classification as a whole includes kerosene, lubricating oil, and
paraffin wax.

So please, tell me why those things are in there, if they aren't there
to lubricate?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
I got this slightly old can of WD-40.

From the git-go, if I needed a tiny bit of lube, about the least the
thing would apply was around 14 times as much as needed.

Now the can is 1/3 full, it stops spraying altogether. I thought it
was the spray-head, but I depress the stem on the valve and nothing
come out. I know there's still propellent in it. Looks like the
cheapo valve clogged its silly self.

Right on into the trash can. Right?

Seems to me the older WD-40 cans (from the 80's) worked better'n
this. Know of a comparable commonly available product with a good valve
and
spray-head?

Thx,
Peetie

WD-40 is not a lubricant. (actually it's not much of anything) So
you've picked the wrong product to begin with.

"Known as 'the can with thousands of uses,' WD-40® protects metal from rust
and corrosion, penetrates stuck parts, displaces moisture, and LUBRICATES
just about anything. WD-40 is also great when it comes to cleaning grease,
grime, and other marks from most surfaces. [emphasis added]"

http://www.wd40.com/

If you can't trust WD-40, who can you trust?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:55:02 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Steve Barker wrote:

WD-40 is not a lubricant. (actually it's not much of anything) So
you've picked the wrong product to begin with.

Is that so? The MSDS for the aerosol version lists 15-25% by weight of
"petroleum based oil" as well as 45-50% by weight of "aliphatic
hydrocarbons."

While they don't specify what those aliphatic hydrocarbons are, the
classification as a whole includes kerosene, lubricating oil, and
paraffin wax.

So please, tell me why those things are in there, if they aren't there
to lubricate?

I think it's so we can over this again and again and again. I agree
with you. It lubricates very well. For example, I used to use
graphite in door locks with tumbliers but a squirt of WD-40 seems to
last at least 10 years.

I probably wouldn't use it anymore in a particular table fan's
bearings, which on occasion get very hot.

Or where there is a lot of weight squeezing the parts together. But
maybe I would.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Peetie

WD-40 is not a lubricant. (actually it's not much of anything) So you've
picked the wrong product to begin with.

Steve you are just wasting time talking down WD-40. It is good for
everything including moles, colds, and tight butt holes.
I would not even have a can of that junk in my house.

In its defense, it is good at flushing muck out of old locks or other
mechanical things that you don't want to disassemble prior to lubing
them. Also good for drying out wet distributor caps (its original purpose.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 3/21/2009 4:32 PM Steve Barker spake thus:

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

I got this slightly old can of WD-40.

WD-40 is not a lubricant. (actually it's not much of anything) So
you've picked the wrong product to begin with.

Bull****.

I'm getting *really* tired of hearing this oft-repeated claim.

It may not be the best lubricant for all situations. There may be better
products for *some* situations. All true.

But it *is* a lubricant. I use it all the time on my biycle chain; have
been for, lessee, about 30-some-odd years now. You're telling me that
the effect of lubrication I've noticed all these years is just a
hallucination?

It's great for little lube jobs that need just a squirt or two. It also
works as a penetrating oil, and, yes, as a water-displacement fluid
(hence the "WD").

Hmm
BS! WD-40 is solvent. Better use Teflon based lubricant. WD-40 is not oil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Tony Hwang wrote:

WD-40 is not oil.

You claim to be an engineer, Tony, although your weak grasp of the
English language makes me doubt it sometimes. Maybe your degree is from
some other country.

But let's assume you are an engineer. That should mean that you respect
logic, reasoning, and scientific fact. Now, I've posted details from the
WD-40 MSDS, showing that it *is* oil. Do you have one single shred of
credible evidence from anywhere, that contradicts the manufacturer's
claims?

One shred. Tony? Ralph? Steve? Or are you all just blowing smoke?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

I got this slightly old can of WD-40.

WD-40 is not a lubricant. (actually it's not much of anything) So
you've picked the wrong product to begin with.

Bull****.

I'm getting *really* tired of hearing this oft-repeated claim.

It may not be the best lubricant for all situations. There may be better
products for *some* situations. All true.

But it *is* a lubricant. I use it all the time on my biycle chain; have
been for, lessee, about 30-some-odd years now. You're telling me that
the effect of lubrication I've noticed all these years is just a
hallucination?

It's great for little lube jobs that need just a squirt or two. It also
works as a penetrating oil, and, yes, as a water-displacement fluid
(hence the "WD").

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/21/2009 4:59 PM mm spake thus:

I probably wouldn't use it [...] Or where there is a lot of weight
squeezing the parts together. But maybe I would.

That would be a job for grease, I'd think.

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick Brandt wrote in
:

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 18:48:56 -0600, Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

I got this slightly old can of WD-40.

From the git-go, if I needed a tiny bit of lube, about the least the
thing would apply was around 14 times as much as needed.

Now the can is 1/3 full, it stops spraying altogether. I thought it was
the spray-head, but I depress the stem on the valve and nothing come
out. I know there's still propellent in it. Looks like the cheapo valve
clogged its silly self.

just shows ya how good WD-40 is at gumming things up.... B-)

I had one WD-40 can do the same thing.I punched a hole in the top and
drained out the WD-40 into a jar.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Right on into the trash can. Right?

Seems to me the older WD-40 cans (from the 80's) worked better'n this.

Know of a comparable commonly available product with a good valve and
spray-head?

You can buy WD-40 in gallon cans and put it into pump bottles. Then the
quality of the sprayer is completely up to you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote in
:

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Peetie
WD-40 is not a lubricant. (actually it's not much of anything) So
you've picked the wrong product to begin with.

Steve you are just wasting time talking down WD-40. It is good for
everything including moles, colds, and tight butt holes.
I would not even have a can of that junk in my house.

In its defense, it is good at flushing muck out of old locks or other
mechanical things that you don't want to disassemble prior to lubing
them. Also good for drying out wet distributor caps (its original
purpose.)

nate

I think I read in one of those household hint things that it's good for
relieving certain bug bite itching. Smell will keep futures at bay I
would think anyway :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote in
:

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Peetie
WD-40 is not a lubricant. (actually it's not much of anything) So
you've picked the wrong product to begin with.

Steve you are just wasting time talking down WD-40. It is good for
everything including moles, colds, and tight butt holes.
I would not even have a can of that junk in my house.

In its defense, it is good at flushing muck out of old locks or other
mechanical things that you don't want to disassemble prior to lubing
them. Also good for drying out wet distributor caps (its original
purpose.)

nate

I think I read in one of those household hint things that it's good for
relieving certain bug bite itching. Smell will keep futures at bay I
would think anyway :-)

that's what kerosene does. people been putting kerosene on wasp stings
and bug bites for centuries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

I got this slightly old can of WD-40.

WD-40 is not a lubricant. (actually it's not much of anything) So
you've picked the wrong product to begin with.

Bull****.

I'm getting *really* tired of hearing this oft-repeated claim.

It may not be the best lubricant for all situations. There may be better
products for *some* situations. All true.

But it *is* a lubricant. I use it all the time on my biycle chain; have
been for, lessee, about 30-some-odd years now. You're telling me that
the effect of lubrication I've noticed all these years is just a
hallucination?

It's great for little lube jobs that need just a squirt or two. It also
works as a penetrating oil, and, yes, as a water-displacement fluid
(hence the "WD").

well using your line of reasoning, water is a lubricant also. It
lubricates water pumps and water pump seals just fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Tony Hwang wrote:

WD-40 is not oil.

You claim to be an engineer, Tony, although your weak grasp of the
English language makes me doubt it sometimes. Maybe your degree is from
some other country.

But let's assume you are an engineer. That should mean that you respect
logic, reasoning, and scientific fact. Now, I've posted details from the
WD-40 MSDS, showing that it *is* oil. Do you have one single shred of
credible evidence from anywhere, that contradicts the manufacturer's
claims?

One shred. Tony? Ralph? Steve? Or are you all just blowing smoke?

just real life experience. this always supercedes any engineering or
fukkin document. The stuff is worthless for the most part. A pump can
of kerosene will to exactly the same thing wd will do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/21/2009 5:45 PM Tony Hwang spake thus:

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

I got this slightly old can of WD-40.

WD-40 is not a lubricant. (actually it's not much of anything) So
you've picked the wrong product to begin with.

Bull****.

I'm getting *really* tired of hearing this oft-repeated claim.

It may not be the best lubricant for all situations. There may be better
products for *some* situations. All true.

But it *is* a lubricant. I use it all the time on my biycle chain; have
been for, lessee, about 30-some-odd years now. You're telling me that
the effect of lubrication I've noticed all these years is just a
hallucination?

Hmm
BS! WD-40 is solvent. Better use Teflon based lubricant. WD-40 is not oil.

So what's your source for this statement, Tony? I've heard this many
times before, but the published ingredients for WD-40 don't support it.

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote in
:

Ralph Mowery wrote:
[...]

Geesh, that must work better than a garlic necklace at keeping people
with colds and vampires away huh?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Steve Barker wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Tony Hwang wrote:

WD-40 is not oil.

You claim to be an engineer, Tony, although your weak grasp of the
English language makes me doubt it sometimes. Maybe your degree is from
some other country.

But let's assume you are an engineer. That should mean that you respect
logic, reasoning, and scientific fact. Now, I've posted details from the
WD-40 MSDS, showing that it *is* oil. Do you have one single shred of
credible evidence from anywhere, that contradicts the manufacturer's
claims?

One shred. Tony? Ralph? Steve? Or are you all just blowing smoke?

just real life experience. this always supercedes any engineering or
fukkin document. The stuff is worthless for the most part. A pump can
of kerosene will to exactly the same thing wd will do.

My own real life experience is that the stuff works very, very well on
many, many things. In fact, it's never disappointed me. Not one time.
Always works as advertised. It sure is odd that we have had such
different experiences.

Here's my supposition. Your uncle was in a bad mood one day, trying to
free a rusted bolt, and grabbed a can of WD-40. But, the bolt stayed
stuck, so he let out a string of cusswords and threw the can in the
trash, profanely declaring it worthless junk.

You were ten at the time. You believed him. You've never actually owned
a can in your life, or tried it. But you keep on believing it's
worthless junk, and you never stop telling everyone you meet how useless
it is.

But that's just my supposition. I could be wrong. However, I'm not wrong
about this: It is oil, and it is a lubricant. Once you strip away the
emotions, those are the facts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Smitty Two wrote:

But that's just my supposition. I could be wrong. However, I'm not wrong
about this: It is oil, and it is a lubricant. Once you strip away the
emotions, those are the facts.

Jeeze. WD-40 is a light oil, in a significant amount of volatile
solvent. So, it can be useful if you want to apply a very thin
layer of light oil in a convenient manner. For those applications
it often works fairly well. For other applications it can be
quite useless.

It is NOT a substitute for all of the many different kinds
of lubricants.

Those are the facts.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 22:09:31 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

Red Green wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote in
:

Ralph Mowery wrote:
[...]

For the most part, they only sell kerosene by the gallon. That alone
makes WD-40 more useful. And they don't sell kerosene in aerosol
cans. Sure it WD-40 costs more that way but it's often much more
useful. I'm not just talking about wasp stings but the hundreds of
other things WD is good for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/21/2009 7:10 PM Steve Barker spake thus:

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

[...]

Well, wise guy, water *is* a lubricant (and is used as such in many
applications). Obviously, not the kind of lubricant we can use in many
situations.

Doesn't bother me in the least. If you don't want to use WD-40, your loss.

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

[...]

For almost everthing WD40 can do there is another product that will do
it a lot better. The exception is that I dont know of any spray that
works as well at drying out a distributor cap as WD40.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
I got this slightly old can of WD-40.

From the git-go, if I needed a tiny bit of lube, about the least the
thing would apply was around 14 times as much as needed.

Now the can is 1/3 full, it stops spraying altogether. I thought it
was the spray-head, but I depress the stem on the valve and nothing
come out. I know there's still propellent in it. Looks like the
cheapo valve clogged its silly self.

Right on into the trash can. Right?

Seems to me the older WD-40 cans (from the 80's) worked better'n this.

Know of a comparable commonly available product with a good valve and
spray-head?

1. Grasp spray head

2. Pull out

3. Put in new spray head (from used paint can or whatever)

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:

people been putting kerosene on wasp
stings and bug bites for centuries.

Good trick since it has only been around for 150 years or so

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 22, 2:46�am, JIMMIE wrote:

For almost everthing WD40 can do there is another product that will do
it a lot better. The exception is that I dont know of any spray that
works as well at drying out a distributor cap as WD40.

Jimmie-

Or, at least "claim" to do it better.

WD40 works for me. I buy it in gallons. It smells better than
Kerosene.

I mainly use it on my dirt bikes. I use it on the chain because the
stuff that "claims" to do a better job is thicker, holds sand and
other debris which eats away the O-rings. I also spray it all the bike
(being careful not to get it on the disc brakes). It shines the
plastic, makes the tires look new and lightly polishes the engine
covers and such.

I guess usefullness and quality of ANY product is in the eye of the
user.

Can anyone on here name a product that EVERYONE agrees it is the best
at any certain task? I doubt it.

Hank ~~~loves WD40
Posted to alt.home.repair

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

[...]

Personal experience. Any lubricant effect of WD-40 is gone in a month
or so when proper use of oil or grease lasts much longer.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Steve Barker wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Tony Hwang wrote:

[...]

Do us a favor and go buy a can of PB Blaster, Kroil, or Wuerth Rost Off.

You'll never use WD-40 again (except as originally intended.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 22:09:31 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

Red Green wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote in
:

Ralph Mowery wrote:
[...]

5 gallons of kerosene isn't that expensive. I do keep a can around for
parts cleaning etc. Kerosene is nice for parts that you won't get to
right away because it will leave a thin layer of paraffin on whatever
you've soaked in it. In fact I think I have the internal bits of an old
steering box soaking in a coffee can of kero right now.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

[...]

Not Tony but you can see it through observation. wd40 has light
aromatics that quickly evaporate and leave a tacky goo film behind. It
isn't a lubricant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Steve Barker wrote:

people been putting kerosene on wasp
stings and bug bites for centuries.

Good trick since it has only been around for 150 years or so

He's right though. This one, the last one, and the one before. 102 years can
cover three centuries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
Not Tony but you can see it through observation. wd40 has light aromatics
that quickly evaporate and leave a tacky goo film behind. It isn't a
lubricant.

It certainly is not the best, but it is a lubricant. Look up the word in
the dictionary.

Lubricants are typically used to separate moving parts in a system. This has
the benefit of reducing friction and surface fatigue together with reduced
heat generation, operating noise and vibrations. Lubricants achieve this by
several ways. The most common is by forming a physical barrier i.e. a thin
layer of lubricant separates the moving parts. This is termed hydrodynamic
lubrication. In cases of high surface pressures or temperatures the fluid
film is much thinner and some of the forces are transmitted between the
surfaces through the lubricant. This is termed elasto-hydrodynamic
lubrication.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've tried PB Blaster (from the auto parts store, also seen
it in Home Depot). Got a can in the back of the van I've
used for several years. HD also has a dry teflon version of
lubricant, in a spray can, near the PB Blaster.

One advantage to PB Blaster, it sprays in a relatively
straight stream, so I can spray some oil on a part at a
distance. Like brake cables, while laying under the vehicle.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Peetie Wheatstraw" wrote in
message ...

I got this slightly old can of WD-40.

From the git-go, if I needed a tiny bit of lube, about the
least the
thing would apply was around 14 times as much as needed.

Now the can is 1/3 full, it stops spraying altogether. I
thought it
was the spray-head, but I depress the stem on the valve and
nothing
come out. I know there's still propellent in it. Looks like
the
cheapo valve clogged its silly self.

Right on into the trash can. Right?

Seems to me the older WD-40 cans (from the 80's) worked
better'n this.

Know of a comparable commonly available product with a good
valve and
spray-head?

Thx,
Peetie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in news:R6pxl.106577$Yl7.70165
@newsfe30.ams2:

Steve Barker wrote:

people been putting kerosene on wasp
stings and bug bites for centuries.

Good trick since it has only been around for 150 years or so

Well I heard a Giant Sequoia toppled and imbedded in it was a can of Ace
Hardware kero.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My experience with WD-40.
This goes back some 40 yrs...when I worked on electro-mechanical NCRs.
A salesman came in to demo WD-40...he sprayed the contacts of an open
relay that was connected to a light bulb.(110V)
He dropped the relay in clear container and began switching it on an
off. We were awed by the "water-proofing" effects of this "magical"
demonstration.
We bought a mess of this stuff and after a week we found it gummed-up
keys (or more precisely, their detent) to where they wouldn't retain.
Meaning, disassembly...cleaning...and re-lube with typewriter oil.

FWIW
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

Do us a favor and go buy a can of PB Blaster, Kroil, or Wuerth Rost Off.

You'll never use WD-40 again (except as originally intended.)

nate

ya, what nate said....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Steve Barker wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote in
:

Ralph Mowery wrote:
[...]

Well since colds are unavoidable, and vampires don't exist, i shall
write your comment off as sarcasm .
Posted to alt.home.repair

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
[...]

the proper cure for a wet cap is a new cap. Once wet, always wet in the
case of distributer caps. Once they've been wet, they're never the same
again.