Posted to alt.home.repair

Default WD-40

On Mar 22, 7:17*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Good trick since it has only been around for 150 years or so *

150 years is 1.5 CENTURIES [note use of plural form]
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:44:25 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:
just shows ya how good WD-40 is at gumming things up.... B-)

I had one WD-40 can do the same thing.I punched a hole in the top and
drained out the WD-40 into a jar.

I trust that, before you did that, you determined the can was really out of
propellant!

Else the ice pick you used to poke the hole may very well be in your
neighbor's yard or you have a new ear-piercing.

But he would be well lubricated.

not with WD-40 he wouldn't have been. WD-40 is not a lubricant.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Mar 22, 10:29*pm, Steve Barker
wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
For almost everthing WD40 can do there is another product that will
do it a lot better. The exception is that I dont know of any spray
that works as well at drying out a distributor cap as WD40.

Yeah, but who wants to buy 2000 products for perfect jobs when one
product does "good enough."

As for your distributor cap, an electric hair dryer might work
better than WD-40, but your fellow mechanics would look at you with
suspicion upon seeing one in your toolkit.

Why? *It's good for shrinking heat shrink without having to carry a
butane lighter, less risk of burning your thumb.

If you have to ask why...

But if you DID burn your thumb, you could repair most of the damage
with your manicure set and small bottle of clear nail polish, which
should be next to the hair dryer in your kit.

I'll have you know that the only nail polish in my toolbox is RED, and
that's used for coloring #57 bulbs because 57Rs don't seem to be widely
available anymore...

why would you need a red bulb?

Factory equipment for dashboard lights on '64 Studebakers. Instead of
using a red filter, they simply specified red bulbs for the instrument
backlighting.

I've also tried the little Auto Meter "bulb condoms" and they are a
more elegant solution, but you have to remember to order them.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 3/22/2009 7:20 PM (ET) Nate Nagel wrote the following:
HeyBub wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

Get a spray can of Candy Apple Red at your local hobby store. It is more
translucent than nail polish. I use it to paint a spotlight bulb for
Christmas decorating.
..

...aw, hell, I'm not going to win this one, am I?

nate

(I still say that a heat gun/hair dryer is a handy tool. And if you
met me, you'd see right quick that I have no use for one for my hair...)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hustlin' Hank wrote:
On Mar 22, 2:46�am, JIMMIE wrote:

For almost everthing WD40 can do there is another product that will do
it a lot better. The exception is that I dont know of any spray that
works as well at drying out a distributor cap as WD40.

Jimmie-

Or, at least "claim" to do it better.

WD40 works for me. I buy it in gallons. It smells better than
Kerosene.

I mainly use it on my dirt bikes. I use it on the chain because the
stuff that "claims" to do a better job is thicker, holds sand and
other debris which eats away the O-rings. I also spray it all the bike
(being careful not to get it on the disc brakes). It shines the
plastic, makes the tires look new and lightly polishes the engine
covers and such.

I guess usefullness and quality of ANY product is in the eye of the
user.

Can anyone on here name a product that EVERYONE agrees it is the best
at any certain task? I doubt it.

Hank ~~~loves WD40

It doesn't work. You only think it works. Actually your bikes are
falling apart from the rust but your miguided trust in WD-40 has caused
you to only imagine that it works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

zimpzampzormp wrote:
Hustlin' Hank wrote:
On Mar 22, 2:46?am, JIMMIE wrote:

[...]

Maybe so, but it's well-lubricated rust.