Posted to alt.home.repair

Default WD-40

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

-snip-
Now the can is 1/3 full, it stops spraying altogether. I thought it
was the spray-head, but I depress the stem on the valve and nothing
come out.

Sounds like time to puncture can and use it with Q-tips.

I know there's still propellent in it.

How do you know that?

Looks like the
cheapo valve clogged its silly self.

I doubt it, but if it did take a matching valve off another can.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 22, 2:46*am, JIMMIE wrote:
On Mar 21, 10:35*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 3/21/2009 4:32 PM Steve Barker spake thus:

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

I got this slightly old can of WD-40.

WD-40 is not a lubricant. *(actually it's not much of anything) *So
you've picked the wrong product to begin with.

Bull****.

I'm getting *really* tired of hearing this oft-repeated claim.

It may not be the best lubricant for all situations. There may be better
products for *some* situations. All true.

But it *is* a lubricant. I use it all the time on my biycle chain; have
been for, lessee, about 30-some-odd years now. You're telling me that
the effect of lubrication I've noticed all these years is just a
hallucination?

It's great for little lube jobs that need just a squirt or two. It also
works as a penetrating oil, and, yes, as a water-displacement fluid
(hence the "WD").

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: *One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)

For almost everthing WD40 can do there is another product that will do
it a lot better. The exception is that I dont know of any spray that
works as well at drying out a distributor cap as WD40.

Jimmie- Hide quoted text -

Had to go out one cold ,rainy ,night, on a service call,with my cable
truck, big v8. It was running funny,but it made it
to the station,without any trouble. 4 in the morning ,tired, fixed
the trouble, and headed back to my truck. Cranked but wouldn't
start! Checked everything, nothing seemed, out of wack. 10 miles back
in the boonies. I pulled of the disturbutor,
and found that it was soaked with condensation! Thats it! Wiped it
down with a rag, and it would misfire, won't start!

Got out the WD-40, spray the inside of the cap, put it back together,
truck started without a single miss! got me
back home! My 2 cents worth
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's sad. I've heard similar about electric motor
berrings. They only run a day or two on WD.

When I was in school, the high school remastered the
building. The custodial went through with a pump oiler of
WD, and soaked em all. I've heard that 10w30 motor oil will
kill Medeco locks, makes them sluggish. My old HS had
Sargent brand, standard tumblers. They may have been OK with
WD.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
My experience with WD-40.
This goes back some 40 yrs...when I worked on
electro-mechanical NCRs.
A salesman came in to demo WD-40...he sprayed the contacts
of an open
relay that was connected to a light bulb.(110V)
He dropped the relay in clear container and began switching
it on an
off. We were awed by the "water-proofing" effects of this
"magical"
demonstration.
We bought a mess of this stuff and after a week we found it
gummed-up
keys (or more precisely, their detent) to where they
wouldn't retain.
Meaning, disassembly...cleaning...and re-lube with
typewriter oil.

FWIW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 21, 7:48*pm, Peetie Wheatstraw
wrote:
I got this slightly old can of WD-40.

From the git-go, if I needed a tiny bit of lube, about the least the
thing would apply was around 14 times as much as needed.

Now the can is 1/3 full, it stops spraying altogether. I thought it
was the spray-head, but I depress the stem on the valve and nothing
come out. I know there's still propellent in it. Looks like the
cheapo valve clogged its silly self.

Right on into the trash can. Right?

Seems to me the older WD-40 cans (from the 80's) worked better'n this.

Know of a comparable commonly available product with a good valve and
spray-head?

* Thx,
* Peetie

I don't know if anyone here has ever used a product called Sea Foam in
their vehicle gas tank for fuel system problems but I know that stuff
has worked for me. Cured a stalling, sputtering Ford V-8 engine.
Also cured a sputtering, bogging snowmobile engine. Sea Foam also
makes a lube spray as well and comes in an aerosol can. I don't know
what the chemical difference or the cost difference is between Sea
Foam and WD-40 but I switched to the Sea Foam spray just because the
other Sea Foam product worked well for me. Just my 2 cents.
By the way I have tried WD-40 on my creaky right knee a couple times
and I swear it did seem to make it less creaky for a little while
after....... I have also sprayed WD-40 on artificle fishing lures and
believe it or not I did get more strikes with it.. Heard that someone
else had done that before so I tried it. If you don't believe me, go
try it for yourself.
Steve
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Nate Nagel wrote:

Do us a favor and go buy a can of PB Blaster, Kroil, or Wuerth Rost Off.

You'll never use WD-40 again (except as originally intended.)

nate

If I wasn't so happy with WD-40, I'd be happy to try other products.
But, like I said, it's always worked very well for me.

Spray a healthy dose in a sticky lock, the lock works smooth as silk for
at least another year or two. Spray it on a squeaky hinge, the hinge
shuts up and stays shut up. Spray it on a frozen fitting, let soak,
fitting comes loose.

Had a retractable five-line clothesline years ago, with a tensioning
lever. After years of being exposed to the weather, the tensioning
mechanism seized. WD-40 freed it immediately, and it continued to work
flawlessly for many more years.

I could go on and on with similar experiences, and it's *never*
disappointed me.

While I'm merely annoyed that people insist on claiming it isn't a
lubricant, I'm baffled by the apparently widespread experience of it
lasting only briefly, or making mechanisms "sticky." If those are real
experiences and not unfounded rumor being parroted, I absolutely don't
understand it.

The only possible hypothesis I have is that perhaps, with a very dirty
lock for example, people aren't using enough of it to flush out the
dirt. I spray a very healthy dose in the keyhole, until it's running out
all over the place. Then I operate the lock thirty or forty times. Then,
as I said the lock works better than new for a very long time, with no
"gumming." Maybe the nay-sayers just aren't using it in an effective
manner.

People have suggested "disassembling the mechanism, cleaning, and using
the proper lubricant," but IMO the disassembly and cleaning are what's
making the difference, not the fact that they've chosen something other
than WD-40 as the lube.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 08:33:46 -0400, against all advice, something
compelled "Ed Pawlowski" , to say:

Lubricants are typically used to separate moving parts in a system. This has
the benefit of reducing friction and surface fatigue together with reduced
heat generation, operating noise and vibrations.

When I use Astroglide, the friction and surface fatigue do indeed
go down. But the operating noise and vibrations increase, until
the system runs past its failsafe point and needs to be reset.

--

Real men don't text.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 21, 10:10*pm, Steve Barker
wrote:

snip

well using your line of reasoning, water is a lubricant also. *It
lubricates water pumps and water pump seals just fine.

Assuming that is in an automotive system, there must be either an
additive (ask the NASCAR folks) or ethylene glycol (antifreeze)
present.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
[...]

the proper cure for a wet cap is a new cap. Once wet, always wet in the
case of distributer caps. Once they've been wet, they're never the same
again.

'Proper cure' and 'Get Home' are 2 different things. Although with
modern electronic ignitions and cap material and design, I haven't had a
wet cap causing no-start in many many years. As a kid, with the bakelite
or whatever caps (especially on VWs), it was a routine thing. Of course
back then, driving junk, I always kept a few tools, WD40, and duct tape
in the car. It probably didn't help that me and my buddies liked to
puddle-surf in our cars.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

I can tell you if WD 'freed' anything, then that item was not much stuck
to begin with. Guarontee...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

snip

well using your line of reasoning, water is a lubricant also. It
lubricates water pumps and water pump seals just fine.

Assuming that is in an automotive system, there must be either an
additive (ask the NASCAR folks) or ethylene glycol (antifreeze)
present.

Joe

it's not an absolute requirement . And what the HELL does NASCAR have to
do with it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:

just shows ya how good WD-40 is at gumming things up.... B-)

I had one WD-40 can do the same thing.I punched a hole in the top and
drained out the WD-40 into a jar.

I trust that, before you did that, you determined the can was really out of
propellant!

Else the ice pick you used to poke the hole may very well be in your
neighbor's yard or you have a new ear-piercing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:

For almost everthing WD40 can do there is another product that will do
it a lot better. The exception is that I dont know of any spray that
works as well at drying out a distributor cap as WD40.

Yeah, but who wants to buy 2000 products for perfect jobs when one product
does "good enough."

As for your distributor cap, an electric hair dryer might work better than
WD-40, but your fellow mechanics would look at you with suspicion upon
seeing one in your toolkit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Nate Nagel wrote:

Do us a favor and go buy a can of PB Blaster, Kroil, or Wuerth Rost Off.

You'll never use WD-40 again (except as originally intended.)

nate

If I wasn't so happy with WD-40, I'd be happy to try other products.
But, like I said, it's always worked very well for me.

Spray a healthy dose in a sticky lock, the lock works smooth as silk for
at least another year or two.

In this case I would say that it's because you've cleaned the lock, not
because it has any significant lubricating properties. Contrary to
popular belief, locks really don't like lube, the only lube I will use
in them is silicone or Teflon. (and yes, I will use WD-40 to flush out
old gummy graphite lube and dirt.)

Spray it on a squeaky hinge, the hinge
shuts up and stays shut up. Spray it on a frozen fitting, let soak,
fitting comes loose.

Now that, I will say, I have had MUCH better luck with other products.
I work on a lot of old (and by old, I mean half a century or more) cars,
and in my experience WD-40 is better than nothing, but not much. The
one product that really impressed me was Wuerth Rost Off, but I've only
been able to find it online from German parts suppliers. Freed up a
rusty bolt in an aluminum trans housing that was stuck solid, and me
without a flame wrench. Could have been a real show stopper for me.
Based on previous experience, WD-40 will not penetrate into really rusty
fasteners. The Wuerth product, Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, Kroil,
Seafoam Deep Creep etc. are all purpose made for that application -
WD-40 is not. My favorites are Wuerth, Kroil, and PB in that order.

Had a retractable five-line clothesline years ago, with a tensioning
lever. After years of being exposed to the weather, the tensioning
mechanism seized. WD-40 freed it immediately, and it continued to work
flawlessly for many more years.

I could go on and on with similar experiences, and it's *never*
disappointed me.

While I'm merely annoyed that people insist on claiming it isn't a
lubricant, I'm baffled by the apparently widespread experience of it
lasting only briefly, or making mechanisms "sticky." If those are real
experiences and not unfounded rumor being parroted, I absolutely don't
understand it.

I don't understand it either, but my experiences are that WD-40's
lubricating properties disappear in a month or less, and don't
understand why yours are different.

The only possible hypothesis I have is that perhaps, with a very dirty
lock for example, people aren't using enough of it to flush out the
dirt. I spray a very healthy dose in the keyhole, until it's running out
all over the place. Then I operate the lock thirty or forty times. Then,
as I said the lock works better than new for a very long time, with no
"gumming." Maybe the nay-sayers just aren't using it in an effective
manner.

I think that you're onto something here, but the benefits that you are
getting are from the thorough cleaning and not the inherent lubricating
properties of the WD-40.

People have suggested "disassembling the mechanism, cleaning, and using
the proper lubricant," but IMO the disassembly and cleaning are what's
making the difference, not the fact that they've chosen something other
than WD-40 as the lube.

Agreed. But a proper lube is best.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

snip

well using your line of reasoning, water is a lubricant also. It
lubricates water pumps and water pump seals just fine.

Assuming that is in an automotive system, there must be either an
additive (ask the NASCAR folks) or ethylene glycol (antifreeze)
present.

Joe

it's not an absolute requirement . And what the HELL does NASCAR have to
do with it?

The WP seals do need some lubrication. Feel free to run straight water
without any Water Wetter in it in your car to attempt to prove us wrong.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
For almost everthing WD40 can do there is another product that will do
it a lot better. The exception is that I dont know of any spray that
works as well at drying out a distributor cap as WD40.

Yeah, but who wants to buy 2000 products for perfect jobs when one product
does "good enough."

As for your distributor cap, an electric hair dryer might work better than
WD-40, but your fellow mechanics would look at you with suspicion upon
seeing one in your toolkit.

Why? It's good for shrinking heat shrink without having to carry a
butane lighter, less risk of burning your thumb.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. I'll check it out.

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 09:20:22 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've tried PB Blaster (from the auto parts store, also seen
it in Home Depot). Got a can in the back of the van I've
used for several years. HD also has a dry teflon version of
lubricant, in a spray can, near the PB Blaster.

One advantage to PB Blaster, it sprays in a relatively
straight stream, so I can spray some oil on a part at a
distance. Like brake cables, while laying under the vehicle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

[...]

You're lucky it didn't blow-up the dist.cap!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
wrote:

snip

well using your line of reasoning, water is a lubricant also. It
lubricates water pumps and water pump seals just fine.

Assuming that is in an automotive system, there must be either an
additive (ask the NASCAR folks) or ethylene glycol (antifreeze)
present.

Joe

it's not an absolute requirement . And what the HELL does NASCAR have
to do with it?

The WP seals do need some lubrication. Feel free to run straight water
without any Water Wetter in it in your car to attempt to prove us wrong.

nate

while i don't do it regularly, i have done it. Living in a zone that
freezes, we tend to keep the antifreeze in.

I've had no problems running straight water on occasion. I realize (as
an ase certified mechanic) that some water pump lube is a good idea if
you're going to run straight water. Because water is just about as good
a lubricant as WD-40

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
For almost everthing WD40 can do there is another product that will do
it a lot better. The exception is that I dont know of any spray that
works as well at drying out a distributor cap as WD40.

Yeah, but who wants to buy 2000 products for perfect jobs when one product
does "good enough."

As for your distributor cap, an electric hair dryer might work better than
WD-40, but your fellow mechanics would look at you with suspicion upon
seeing one in your toolkit.

we call them heat guns. Multitude of uses. Very common in our tool chests.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
[...]

why would it do that? Even if wd were flammable, the mixture inside the
cap would be too rich to burn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

snip

well using your line of reasoning, water is a lubricant also. It
lubricates water pumps and water pump seals just fine.

Assuming that is in an automotive system, there must be either an
additive (ask the NASCAR folks) or ethylene glycol (antifreeze)
present.

Joe

it's not an absolute requirement . And what the HELL does NASCAR have to
do with it?

They run without ethelene glycol coolant so in case of a crash they
don't have it all over the track. A water pump lubricant is REQUIRED
if antifreeze is not in the system. This is mostly to protect the
SEALS as today's water pump bearings use sealed lifetime lubricated
bearings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 17:09:45 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
[...]

I'd have to dissagree on the wet cap thing. Unless the cap carbon
tracks, simply drying it out is all that is required. I used to warm
mine up and rub a beeswax candle on the inside to "seal" the bakelite.
Then a foggy day didn't prevent my old Mopar from starting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 11:50:44 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

I got this slightly old can of WD-40.

WD-40 is not a lubricant. Â*(actually it's not much of anything) Â*So
you've picked the wrong product to begin with.

Bull****.

I'm getting *really* tired of hearing this oft-repeated claim.

It may not be the best lubricant for all situations. There may be better
products for *some* situations. All true.

But it *is* a lubricant. I use it all the time on my biycle chain; have
been for, lessee, about 30-some-odd years now. You're telling me that
the effect of lubrication I've noticed all these years is just a
hallucination?

It's great for little lube jobs that need just a squirt or two. It also
works as a penetrating oil, and, yes, as a water-displacement fluid
(hence the "WD").

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: Â*One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)

For almost everthing WD40 can do there is another product that will do
it a lot better. The exception is that I dont know of any spray that
works as well at drying out a distributor cap as WD40.

Jimmie- Hide quoted text -

Had to go out one cold ,rainy ,night, on a service call,with my cable
truck, big v8. It was running funny,but it made it
to the station,without any Â*trouble. 4 in the morning ,tired, fixed
the trouble, and headed back to my truck. Cranked but wouldn't
start! Checked everything, nothing seemed, out of wack. Â*10 miles back
in the boonies. I pulled of the disturbutor,
and found that it was soaked with condensation! Thats it! Wiped it
down with a rag, and it would misfire, won't start!

Got out the WD-40, spray the inside of the cap, put it back together,
truck started without a single miss! got me
back home! Â* Â*My 2 cents worth

You're lucky it didn't blow-up the dist.cap!

yea, I've had that happen. ONCE.

From then on I always made sure things were aired out before I
re-assembled. The propellant is similar to, if not, propane - it makes
an ezxcellent starting fluid. I know it's the propellant, not the WD40
itself because from a pump bottle it is USELESS. Once the propellant
lights, of course the Kerosene burns too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 13:00:44 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

JIMMIE wrote:

For almost everthing WD40 can do there is another product that will do
it a lot better. The exception is that I dont know of any spray that
works as well at drying out a distributor cap as WD40.

CRC 556

Yeah, but who wants to buy 2000 products for perfect jobs when one product
does "good enough."

As for your distributor cap, an electric hair dryer might work better than
WD-40, but your fellow mechanics would look at you with suspicion upon
seeing one in your toolkit.

And you'd need a pretty good inverter to run it .
Posted to alt.home.repair

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
alid...
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

He's right though. This one, the last one, and the one before. 102 years
can
cover three centuries.

That was true in 2001, but not in 2009. Today it would be 110 years.

That can be true for any three centuries. You really only need one year and
two days. I said it CAN cover. It CAN be 1499, 1500, and 1501 too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
alid...
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

He's right though. This one, the last one, and the one before. 102 years
can
cover three centuries.

That was true in 2001, but not in 2009. Today it would be 110 years.

That can be true for any three centuries. You really only need one year
and two days. I said it CAN cover. It CAN be 1499, 1500, and 1501 too.

That was supposed to be 1601

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 22, 2:38*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
wrote:

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
[...]

The propellant is propane...and is very good at starting small engines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
For almost everthing WD40 can do there is another product that will
do it a lot better. The exception is that I dont know of any spray
that works as well at drying out a distributor cap as WD40.

Yeah, but who wants to buy 2000 products for perfect jobs when one
product does "good enough."

As for your distributor cap, an electric hair dryer might work
better than WD-40, but your fellow mechanics would look at you with
suspicion upon seeing one in your toolkit.

Why? It's good for shrinking heat shrink without having to carry a
butane lighter, less risk of burning your thumb.

If you have to ask why...

But if you DID burn your thumb, you could repair most of the damage with
your manicure set and small bottle of clear nail polish, which should be
next to the hair dryer in your kit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
For almost everthing WD40 can do there is another product that will
do it a lot better. The exception is that I dont know of any spray
that works as well at drying out a distributor cap as WD40.

Yeah, but who wants to buy 2000 products for perfect jobs when one
product does "good enough."

As for your distributor cap, an electric hair dryer might work
better than WD-40, but your fellow mechanics would look at you with
suspicion upon seeing one in your toolkit.

Why? It's good for shrinking heat shrink without having to carry a
butane lighter, less risk of burning your thumb.

If you have to ask why...

But if you DID burn your thumb, you could repair most of the damage with
your manicure set and small bottle of clear nail polish, which should be
next to the hair dryer in your kit.

I'll have you know that the only nail polish in my toolbox is RED, and
that's used for coloring #57 bulbs because 57Rs don't seem to be widely
available anymore...

....aw, hell, I'm not going to win this one, am I?

nate

(I still say that a heat gun/hair dryer is a handy tool. And if you met
me, you'd see right quick that I have no use for one for my hair...)

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
[...]

They stopped using propane as a propellent in WD-40 years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That can be true for any three centuries. You really only need one year and
two days. I said it CAN cover. It CAN be 1499, 1500, and 1501 too.

that particular example only covers two centuries.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
"G. Morgan" wrote in message
alid...
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

He's right though. This one, the last one, and the one before. 102 years
can
cover three centuries.
That was true in 2001, but not in 2009. Today it would be 110 years.

That can be true for any three centuries. You really only need one year
and two days. I said it CAN cover. It CAN be 1499, 1500, and 1501 too.

That was supposed to be 1601

disregard previous reply. reading in order here... G

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

why would you need a red bulb?

...aw, hell, I'm not going to win this one, am I?

nate

(I still say that a heat gun/hair dryer is a handy tool. And if you met
me, you'd see right quick that I have no use for one for my hair...)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

But if you DID burn your thumb, you could repair most of the damage
with your manicure set and small bottle of clear nail polish, which
should be next to the hair dryer in your kit.

I'll have you know that the only nail polish in my toolbox is RED, and
that's used for coloring #57 bulbs because 57Rs don't seem to be
widely available anymore...

...aw, hell, I'm not going to win this one, am I?

You might. That business about using nail polish to color bulbs is, well,
what can I say, inspirational.

nate

(I still say that a heat gun/hair dryer is a handy tool. And if you
met me, you'd see right quick that I have no use for one for my
hair...)

A heat gun is a handy tool. A hair dryer is for effete pompadours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
But if you DID burn your thumb, you could repair most of the damage
with your manicure set and small bottle of clear nail polish, which
should be next to the hair dryer in your kit.

I'll have you know that the only nail polish in my toolbox is RED, and
that's used for coloring #57 bulbs because 57Rs don't seem to be
widely available anymore...

...aw, hell, I'm not going to win this one, am I?

You might. That business about using nail polish to color bulbs is, well,
what can I say, inspirational.

nate

(I still say that a heat gun/hair dryer is a handy tool. And if you
met me, you'd see right quick that I have no use for one for my
hair...)

A heat gun is a handy tool. A hair dryer is for effete pompadours.

Hi,
The dryer works well with heat shrinking sphagettis.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
But if you DID burn your thumb, you could repair most of the damage
with your manicure set and small bottle of clear nail polish, which
should be next to the hair dryer in your kit.

I'll have you know that the only nail polish in my toolbox is RED,
and that's used for coloring #57 bulbs because 57Rs don't seem to be
widely available anymore...

...aw, hell, I'm not going to win this one, am I?

You might. That business about using nail polish to color bulbs is,
well, what can I say, inspirational.

nate

(I still say that a heat gun/hair dryer is a handy tool. And if you
met me, you'd see right quick that I have no use for one for my
hair...)

A heat gun is a handy tool. A hair dryer is for effete pompadours.

Hi,
The dryer works well with heat shrinking sphagettis.

And sanitary napkins work well for waxing the car, nail files can clean A/C
relay contacts, hair curlers can be used to wind string, and purses can be
used to carry your stuff.

Next we'll see lilac-scented WD-40 and frilly curtains on the shop's
windows!

As that great American said: "Don't be a dis-grace to the man-race!" Say NO
to hair-dryers!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:44:25 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:

just shows ya how good WD-40 is at gumming things up.... B-)

I had one WD-40 can do the same thing.I punched a hole in the top and
drained out the WD-40 into a jar.

I trust that, before you did that, you determined the can was really out of
propellant!

Else the ice pick you used to poke the hole may very well be in your
neighbor's yard or you have a new ear-piercing.

But he would be well lubricated.