Posted to alt.home.repair

Default WD-40

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:38:40 -0500, Steve Barker

On Mar 22, 9:56 am, wrote:
On Mar 22, 2:46 am, JIMMIE wrote:

On Mar 21, 10:35 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 3/21/2009 4:32 PM Steve Barker spake thus:
Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
I got this slightly old can of WD-40.
WD-40 is not a lubricant. (actually it's not much of anything) So
you've picked the wrong product to begin with.
Bull****.
I'm getting *really* tired of hearing this oft-repeated claim.
It may not be the best lubricant for all situations. There may be better
products for *some* situations. All true.
But it *is* a lubricant. I use it all the time on my biycle chain; have
been for, lessee, about 30-some-odd years now. You're telling me that
the effect of lubrication I've noticed all these years is just a
hallucination?
It's great for little lube jobs that need just a squirt or two. It also
works as a penetrating oil, and, yes, as a water-displacement fluid
(hence the "WD").
mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.
(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)
For almost everthing WD40 can do there is another product that will do
it a lot better. The exception is that I dont know of any spray that
works as well at drying out a distributor cap as WD40.
Jimmie- Hide quoted text -
Had to go out one cold ,rainy ,night, on a service call,with my cable
truck, big v8. It was running funny,but it made it
to the station,without any trouble. 4 in the morning ,tired, fixed
the trouble, and headed back to my truck. Cranked but wouldn't
start! Checked everything, nothing seemed, out of wack. 10 miles back
in the boonies. I pulled of the disturbutor,
and found that it was soaked with condensation! Thats it! Wiped it
down with a rag, and it would misfire, won't start!

Got out the WD-40, spray the inside of the cap, put it back together,
truck started without a single miss! got me
back home! My 2 cents worth

You're lucky it didn't blow-up the dist.cap!

why would it do that? Even if wd were flammable, the mixture inside the
cap would be too rich to burn.

Don't count on it.