Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_2_] Steve Barker[_2_] is offline

Default WD-40

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Nate Nagel wrote:

Do us a favor and go buy a can of PB Blaster, Kroil, or Wuerth Rost Off.

You'll never use WD-40 again (except as originally intended.)

nate

If I wasn't so happy with WD-40, I'd be happy to try other products.
But, like I said, it's always worked very well for me.

Spray a healthy dose in a sticky lock, the lock works smooth as silk for
at least another year or two. Spray it on a squeaky hinge, the hinge
shuts up and stays shut up. Spray it on a frozen fitting, let soak,
fitting comes loose.

Had a retractable five-line clothesline years ago, with a tensioning
lever. After years of being exposed to the weather, the tensioning
mechanism seized. WD-40 freed it immediately, and it continued to work
flawlessly for many more years.

I could go on and on with similar experiences, and it's *never*
disappointed me.

While I'm merely annoyed that people insist on claiming it isn't a
lubricant, I'm baffled by the apparently widespread experience of it
lasting only briefly, or making mechanisms "sticky." If those are real
experiences and not unfounded rumor being parroted, I absolutely don't
understand it.

The only possible hypothesis I have is that perhaps, with a very dirty
lock for example, people aren't using enough of it to flush out the
dirt. I spray a very healthy dose in the keyhole, until it's running out
all over the place. Then I operate the lock thirty or forty times. Then,
as I said the lock works better than new for a very long time, with no
"gumming." Maybe the nay-sayers just aren't using it in an effective
manner.

People have suggested "disassembling the mechanism, cleaning, and using
the proper lubricant," but IMO the disassembly and cleaning are what's
making the difference, not the fact that they've chosen something other
than WD-40 as the lube.

I can tell you if WD 'freed' anything, then that item was not much stuck
to begin with. Guarontee...