Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_2_] Steve Barker[_2_] is offline

Default WD-40

Nate Nagel wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
Joe wrote:
On Mar 21, 10:10 pm, Steve Barker
wrote:

snip

well using your line of reasoning, water is a lubricant also. It
lubricates water pumps and water pump seals just fine.

Assuming that is in an automotive system, there must be either an
additive (ask the NASCAR folks) or ethylene glycol (antifreeze)
present.

Joe

it's not an absolute requirement . And what the HELL does NASCAR have
to do with it?

The WP seals do need some lubrication. Feel free to run straight water
without any Water Wetter in it in your car to attempt to prove us wrong.

nate

while i don't do it regularly, i have done it. Living in a zone that
freezes, we tend to keep the antifreeze in.

I've had no problems running straight water on occasion. I realize (as
an ase certified mechanic) that some water pump lube is a good idea if
you're going to run straight water. Because water is just about as good
a lubricant as WD-40