Posted to alt.home.repair

Default WD-40

On 3/21/2009 7:10 PM Steve Barker spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 3/21/2009 4:32 PM Steve Barker spake thus:

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

I got this slightly old can of WD-40.

WD-40 is not a lubricant. (actually it's not much of anything) So
you've picked the wrong product to begin with.

Bull****.

I'm getting *really* tired of hearing this oft-repeated claim.

It may not be the best lubricant for all situations. There may be better
products for *some* situations. All true.

But it *is* a lubricant. I use it all the time on my biycle chain; have
been for, lessee, about 30-some-odd years now. You're telling me that
the effect of lubrication I've noticed all these years is just a
hallucination?

It's great for little lube jobs that need just a squirt or two. It also
works as a penetrating oil, and, yes, as a water-displacement fluid
(hence the "WD").

well using your line of reasoning, water is a lubricant also. It
lubricates water pumps and water pump seals just fine.

Well, wise guy, water *is* a lubricant (and is used as such in many
applications). Obviously, not the kind of lubricant we can use in many
situations.

Doesn't bother me in the least. If you don't want to use WD-40, your loss.

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)