Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default WD-40

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:55:02 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Steve Barker wrote:

WD-40 is not a lubricant. (actually it's not much of anything) So
you've picked the wrong product to begin with.

Is that so? The MSDS for the aerosol version lists 15-25% by weight of
"petroleum based oil" as well as 45-50% by weight of "aliphatic
hydrocarbons."

While they don't specify what those aliphatic hydrocarbons are, the
classification as a whole includes kerosene, lubricating oil, and
paraffin wax.

So please, tell me why those things are in there, if they aren't there
to lubricate?

I think it's so we can over this again and again and again. I agree
with you. It lubricates very well. For example, I used to use
graphite in door locks with tumbliers but a squirt of WD-40 seems to
last at least 10 years.

I probably wouldn't use it anymore in a particular table fan's
bearings, which on occasion get very hot.

Or where there is a lot of weight squeezing the parts together. But
maybe I would.