Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray Ray is offline

Default TV conversion question? ? ?

Our little cheapo 5" screen TV that we use in the kitchen is doomed whenever
TV makes its conversion -- in June now, I believe. Obviously we won't get a
$100 converter box for a $15 TV set.

But I just noticed one of the discount stores has on sale a Prism digital
LCD TV. with a 7" screen. My question is whether this one would also require
a converter box -- or how could I tell.

It does have a retractable antenna, if that means anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 2:05*pm, "Ray" wrote:
Our little cheapo 5" screen TV that we use in the kitchen is doomed whenever
TV makes its conversion -- in June now, I believe. Obviously we won't get a
$100 converter box for a $15 TV set.

But I just noticed one of the discount stores has on sale a Prism digital
LCD TV. with a 7" screen. My question is whether this one would also require
a converter box -- or how could I tell.

It does have a retractable antenna, if that means anything.

All TVs sold in the US now have to have an ATSC DTV tuner built-in.
The requirement began with the largest TVs quite a few years ago and
included even the smallest for maybe the last 2 years or so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 2:20�pm, wrote:
On Jan 31, 2:05�pm, "Ray" wrote:

Our little cheapo 5" screen TV that we use in the kitchen is doomed whenever
TV makes its conversion -- in June now, I believe. Obviously we won't get a
$100 converter box for a $15 TV set.

But I just noticed one of the discount stores has on sale a Prism digital
LCD TV. with a 7" screen. My question is whether this one would also require
a converter box -- or how could I tell.

It does have a retractable antenna, if that means anything.

All TVs sold in the US now have to have an ATSC DTV tuner built-in.
The requirement began with the largest TVs quite a few years ago and
included even the smallest for maybe the last 2 years or so.

the converter boxes are cheap, recently target had them on sale for
$40.01

one cent over the coupon program
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 3:27*pm, " wrote:
On Jan 31, 2:20 pm, wrote:

On Jan 31, 2:05 pm, "Ray" wrote:

Our little cheapo 5" screen TV that we use in the kitchen is doomed whenever
TV makes its conversion -- in June now, I believe. Obviously we won't get a
$100 converter box for a $15 TV set.

But I just noticed one of the discount stores has on sale a Prism digital
LCD TV. with a 7" screen. My question is whether this one would also require
a converter box -- or how could I tell.

It does have a retractable antenna, if that means anything.

All TVs sold in the US now have to have an ATSC DTV tuner built-in.
The requirement began with the largest TVs quite a few years ago and
included even the smallest for maybe the last 2 years or so.

the converter boxes are cheap, recently target had them on sale for
$40.01

one cent over the coupon program

If you have an expired coupon from the govt, is it still honored?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Mikepier wrote:

If you have an expired coupon from the govt, is it still honored?

Not at present...there's been no clear decision rendered on what the
mechanics are going to be I've seen on whatever added funding there may
eventually be. At present, new requests already in the queue are being
honored only as previously issued ones that haven't been utilized
expire. There apparently is quite some delay in determining whether one
is actually expired and unused, however...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

About a year after the switch really happens, I'm thinking
there will be a lot of used converters for sale for just a

Also, you don't need a television to use a converter box,
anything that has an rs-170 input and sound input will work.
The converter box is a tv, less the display and speaker.
I'm feeding one of our converters composite video into an
old pci ntsc card and the left/right sound into the cd rom
connector. I expect to bring out the video and sound leads
on an old $20 5" b/w portable tv, unless I find a cheap lcd
video player that has a composite input. The bare converter
board will even fit in the old 5" portable case next to the
D cell battery compartment. And it will now have a remote
control to boot.

Time to be a little creative. You can find new usb2 atsc
sticks on sale for $25-30, if the rebate pays out. ;-) You
can also put dtv sound in your car for $40, if your auto
radio has ipod or cd player jacks.

Think outside the box.

--larry / dallas

Posted to alt.home.repair

larry wrote in
news
dpb wrote:
Mikepier wrote:

[...]

you can also feed the converter's composite outputs into a VCR or a NTSC
video monitor.

(the $40 coupons are not for USB sticks,just converter boxes)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray wrote:
Our little cheapo 5" screen TV that we use in the kitchen is doomed
whenever TV makes its conversion -- in June now, I believe. Obviously we
won't get a $100 converter box for a $15 TV set.

If your TV has antenna/cable or RCA (red, white, yellow) inputs then you
can use a converter box if not, then TV will be useless. Many of the
small battery powered TV's do not have any inputs and will not work
after the changeover.

But I just noticed one of the discount stores has on sale a Prism
digital LCD TV. with a 7" screen. My question is whether this one would
also require a converter box -- or how could I tell.

I recently saw some under cabinet LCD TV units for sale that did not
have digital tuners. There were signs posted on the store shelf and
stickers on the box saying that.
If it has DTV tuner then the specs printed on the outside of the box
will say so.
You might also 'google' the model number and look for specs and/or reviews.

It does have a retractable antenna, if that means anything.

See above.
Kevin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 2:27*pm, " wrote:
On Jan 31, 2:20 pm, wrote:

On Jan 31, 2:05 pm, "Ray" wrote:

Our little cheapo 5" screen TV that we use in the kitchen is doomed whenever
TV makes its conversion -- in June now, I believe. Obviously we won't get a
$100 converter box for a $15 TV set.

But I just noticed one of the discount stores has on sale a Prism digital
LCD TV. with a 7" screen. My question is whether this one would also require
a converter box -- or how could I tell.

It does have a retractable antenna, if that means anything.

All TVs sold in the US now have to have an ATSC DTV tuner built-in.
The requirement began with the largest TVs quite a few years ago and
included even the smallest for maybe the last 2 years or so.

the converter boxes are cheap, recently target had them on sale for
$40.01

one cent over the coupon program

And 66 or so % of converter boxes are second rate, In Fact no locals
sell 1st rate that I see. Its all online.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 2:27*pm, " wrote:
On Jan 31, 2:20 pm, wrote:

On Jan 31, 2:05 pm, "Ray" wrote:

Our little cheapo 5" screen TV that we use in the kitchen is doomed whenever
TV makes its conversion -- in June now, I believe. Obviously we won't get a
$100 converter box for a $15 TV set.

But I just noticed one of the discount stores has on sale a Prism digital
LCD TV. with a 7" screen. My question is whether this one would also require
a converter box -- or how could I tell.

It does have a retractable antenna, if that means anything.

All TVs sold in the US now have to have an ATSC DTV tuner built-in.
The requirement began with the largest TVs quite a few years ago and
included even the smallest for maybe the last 2 years or so.

the converter boxes are cheap, recently target had them on sale for
$40.01

one cent over the coupon program

There are good and crap boxes, Target sells mid road and crap rated.
A box is not a box in equal. Just like phones

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
larry wrote in
news
dpb wrote:

~snipped~
[...]

True, but my comment was more that you can get a real atsc
tuner usb stick (widescreen if your monitor is w/s) for your
computer for $25. And if the $30-$50 manufacturer mail-in
rebate check is sent back to you.

Also, no coupon approved converter box outputs a widescreen
image, but will do things like letterbox, full, zoom1 and
zoom2. The manufacturers fought hard that no cheap box
would cannibalize their new set sales!

You can take the converter box modulator type f cable output
and strip the shield back a few inches, Wrap the center
wire around the antenna rod for tv's without a connector.

Just saw on tv news that the studios are now doing shows and
commercials in 3-D. Dig out your red/blue glasses for
tomorrow's Super Bowl ads!

-l
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 5:31*pm, ransley wrote:
On Jan 31, 2:27*pm, " wrote:

On Jan 31, 2:20 pm, wrote:

On Jan 31, 2:05 pm, "Ray" wrote:

Our little cheapo 5" screen TV that we use in the kitchen is doomed whenever
TV makes its conversion -- in June now, I believe. Obviously we won't get a
$100 converter box for a $15 TV set.

But I just noticed one of the discount stores has on sale a Prism digital
LCD TV. with a 7" screen. My question is whether this one would also require
a converter box -- or how could I tell.

It does have a retractable antenna, if that means anything.

All TVs sold in the US now have to have an ATSC DTV tuner built-in.
The requirement began with the largest TVs quite a few years ago and
included even the smallest for maybe the last 2 years or so.

the converter boxes are cheap, recently target had them on sale for
$40.01

one cent over the coupon program

There are good and crap boxes, Target sells mid road and crap rated.
A box is not a box in equal. Just like phones- Hide quoted text -

Wake up bubba butts-
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 12:43:21 -0800 (PST), Mikepier
wrote:

On Jan 31, 3:27*pm, " wrote:
On Jan 31, 2:20 pm, wrote:

On Jan 31, 2:05 pm, "Ray" wrote:

Our little cheapo 5" screen TV that we use in the kitchen is doomed whenever
TV makes its conversion -- in June now, I believe. Obviously we won't get a
$100 converter box for a $15 TV set.

But I just noticed one of the discount stores has on sale a Prism digital
LCD TV. with a 7" screen. My question is whether this one would also require
a converter box -- or how could I tell.

It does have a retractable antenna, if that means anything.

All TVs sold in the US now have to have an ATSC DTV tuner built-in.
The requirement began with the largest TVs quite a few years ago and
included even the smallest for maybe the last 2 years or so.

the converter boxes are cheap, recently target had them on sale for
$40.01

one cent over the coupon program

If you have an expired coupon from the govt, is it still honored?

I'm sure not. They had dates on them. I only used one, and when I
called in to get another, they knew they had sent me two, but didn't
seem to know I hadn't used the second.

Those who want more issued says that would be better than extending
the exp. date on ones already issued. I don't know why, but that is
what even the ones who want more issued say.

I only used one, because I wasn't impressed with the boxes. Since
then, I've found two models at an indepenedent store and would like to
buy my second converter. But if I can't get a coupon, there is no
rush. And if I can get a new coupon, it will probably expire while
I'm on a long business trip this spring.
Posted to alt.home.repair

the Zenith, also sold under the Insignia brand, are both made by LG
Electronics, are the best, from the research that I did. I have bought two
of the Zenith, and they work great.

James

Posted to alt.home.repair

James wrote:
the Zenith, also sold under the Insignia brand, are both made by LG
Electronics, are the best, from the research that I did. I have bought two
of the Zenith, and they work great.

James

I have a Zenith on the TV in the spare bedroom and like it, but I have a
Channel Master on my big TV downstairs because the CM has an S-video
output which the Zenith does not. Also has a much better onscreen guide
than the Zenith. The one drawback to the CM is the remote; it does not
have a programmable button for your TV power, but if you have a
universal remote that doesn't matter. These are the only two I've
tried, but like you I spent a lot of time searching online for reviews
etc. before purchasing anything.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

larry wrote in
:

Also, no coupon approved converter box outputs a widescreen
image, but will do things like letterbox, full, zoom1 and
zoom2. The manufacturers fought hard that no cheap box
would cannibalize their new set sales!

Uh,the intent of the DTV *converter* is to convert DTV to work on a NTSC
set,which is 4:3 ratio.
if you try to fit a 16:9 format on a 4:3 NTSC display,there has to be
letterboxing,or an overscan.

The converter boxes are not intended to be anything more.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 10:17*pm, mm wrote:
On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 11:20:25 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Jan 31, 2:05*pm, "Ray" wrote:
Our little cheapo 5" screen TV that we use in the kitchen is doomed whenever
TV makes its conversion -- in June now, I believe. Obviously we won't get a
$100 converter box for a $15 TV set.

But I just noticed one of the discount stores has on sale a Prism digital

If it says digital on it, that should mean that it's digital. * And it
probably does, but read the box carefully, plug it in when you get
home and make sure it gets digital stations.

LCD TV. with a 7" screen. My question is whether this one would also require
a converter box -- or how could I tell.

It does have a retractable antenna, if that means anything.

All TVs sold in the US now have to have an ATSC DTV tuner built-in.

Not true. *But they do have to be labeled if they won't receive
digital.

So says you. The FCC says otherwise:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...mz1b5bray.html

"March 5, 2007

Many Americans don't understand digital TV, but they no longer can buy
the old analog technology it replaces, thanks to a federal mandate
that recently kicked in.

All new television sets designed to receive over-the-air signals must
now contain a tuner capable of receiving digital broadcasts, not just
the old-style analog signals we have relied on for the past half-
century.

The March 1 mandate covers smaller sets, the last bastion of all-
analog technology. "

So, as I stated, for about 2 years now, ALL TVs manufactured for sale
in the USA must have an ATSC tuner. Yeah, you might find some TV
somewhere that was built prior to Mar 2007, but the chances of that
are small, unless it's some refurbished piece of crap.

I don't understand why this question even needs to be asked. All one
has to do is read the box.

The requirement began with the largest TVs quite a few years ago and
included even the smallest for maybe the last 2 years or so.

Absolutely not. *I've seen non-digital tvs up to 15 inches in the
stores this year. *They were however labeled that they would require a
converter or something to receive digital signals.

These tvs still work with converters, cable, and satellite. *That's
the vast majority of America. *Let the manufacturers change over their
production as they see fit. *Just don't mislead consumers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ray" wrote in message
Our little cheapo 5" screen TV that we use in the kitchen is doomed
whenever TV makes its conversion -- in June now, I believe. Obviously we
won't get a $100 converter box for a $15 TV set.

But I just noticed one of the discount stores has on sale a Prism digital
LCD TV. with a 7" screen. My question is whether this one would also
require a converter box -- or how could I tell.

It does have a retractable antenna, if that means anything.

The good news is you'll be able to watch that little TV a bit longer as the
government will be delaying the switch over date to June. It's not a sure
thing yet but the bill passed the senate and has to pass the house which is
predicted to do so.

Check to make sure any TV you purchase has it's own digital tuner. If not,
it'll require a box, but then again, you shouldn't even be able to find a
new TV without a digital tuner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"SBH" wrote:

"Ray" wrote in message
[...]

Or if so, they should be well labeled as such. Looking over the
FCC rule making pdfs, I can't find anything that indicates any kind of a
deadline for DTV tuners in sets under 13 inches.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 7:50*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,

*"SBH" wrote:
"Ray" wrote in message
[...]

deadline for DTV tuners in sets under 13 inches.- Hide quoted text -

http://broadcastengineering.com/RF/F...uner-20051104/

"FCC commissioners voted Thursday to advance its deadline for
including the ability to receiver digital television signals in all
new sets to March 1, 2007 — four months sooner than previously
mandated.

In the Second Report and Order on Requirements for Digital Television
Receiving Capability, the commission also extended the requirement to
cover new receivers with screen sizes smaller than 13in and put it on
the same schedule.

The action moves the deadline for digital television tuner inclusion
from July 1, 2007. In a previous rulemaking proposal, the commission
sought comment on advancing the final deadline to Dec. 31, 2006.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 2:05*pm, "Ray" wrote:
[...]

Walmart has non-digital sets on their website. They also sell at least
one set that is "Digital" but has not passed testing for compatibility
with the new system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 2:05*pm, "Ray" wrote:
[...]

with the new system.- Hide quoted text -

Care to provide us with a link so we don't all have to go search
through 100 tv's?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 2:05*pm, "Ray" wrote:
[...]

Sorry. I didn't realize you needed to be spoon fed. Here's just one:

http://www.target.com/Trutech-13-SD-Tuner-TV/dp/B000OV4MMM/qid=1233498508/ref=br_1_3/190-2329741-3462237?ie=UTF8&node=3464311&frombrowse=1&index=tg t-mf-mv&rank=price&rh=&page=1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 2:05*pm, "Ray" wrote:
[...]

http://www.target.com/Trutech-13-SD-Tuner-TV/dp/B000OV4MMM/qid=123349....- Hide quoted text -

No need to get snippy. It's only common web courtesy to provide a
link to something you've found that supports your position, instead of
expecting everyone else to go look for it, expecially when a typical
store has hundreds of TVs. And BTW, had we gone looking, it would
have been at Walmart, which is where you stated the TVs were, not
Target.

I see on Target the TV cannot be ordered online, but is supposed to be
available in some stores. Out of curiosity, I'm going to check the
local target to see if they have it and what it says on the box. It's
possible the actual TV is different than the description. If not, it
would seem either they built a hell of a lot of these 2 years ago, or
someone is violating the law.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Walmart has non-digital sets on their website. They also sell at least
one set that is "Digital" but has not passed testing for compatibility
with the new system.- Hide quoted text -

Care to provide us with a link so we don't all have to go search
through 100 tv's?

Sorry. I didn't realize you needed to be spoon fed. Here's just one:

http://www.target.com/Trutech-13-SD-Tuner-TV/dp/B000OV4MMM/qid=1233498508/ref=br_1_3/190-2329741-3462237?ie=UTF8&node=3464311&frombrowse=1&index=tg t-mf-mv&rank=price&rh=&page=1

Yes, when someone states Wal Mart, we don't usually hunt at the Target web
site.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 2:05*pm, "Ray" wrote:
[...]

As I said, I wasn't expecting to spoon feed the group. I made an off
hand comment indicating that non-digital TV's are readily available at
major retailers. That hardly calls for cites or a full deposition
under oath.

And BTW, had we gone looking, it would
have been at Walmart, which is where you stated the TVs were, not
Target.

I see on Target the TV cannot be ordered online, but is supposed to be
available in some stores. Out of curiosity, I'm going to check the
local target to see if they have it and what it says on the box. It's
possible the actual TV is different than the description. If not, it
would seem either they built a hell of a lot of these 2 years ago, or
someone is violating the law.

No one is violating the law. The law only mandates that any TV's
MANUFACTURED after the cutoff date have ASTC tuners. Nowhere in the
laws does it say you can no longer sell pre-existing NTSC TV's after a
certain date.

The retailers are smart to make it very clear that these TV's are not
ASTC, but there is no law requiring it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 10:04:26 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
Walmart has non-digital sets on their website. They also sell at least
one set that is "Digital" but has not passed testing for compatibility
with the new system.- Hide quoted text -

Care to provide us with a link so we don't all have to go search
through 100 tv's?

Sorry. I didn't realize you needed to be spoon fed. Here's just one:

http://www.target.com/Trutech-13-SD-Tuner-TV/dp/B000OV4MMM/qid=1233498508/ref=br_1_3/190-2329741-3462237?ie=UTF8&node=3464311&frombrowse=1&index=tg t-mf-mv&rank=price&rh=&page=1

Yes, when someone states Wal Mart, we don't usually hunt at the Target web
site.

My comment was a reply to someone who hysterically claimed that NO
ONE could still be selling non-astc televisions. "Walmart" was used
generically, to mean "even major retailers". I didn't anticiopate that
folks here were so feeble that they couldn't find examples on their
own if they were befuddled by what I said.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

The retailers are smart to make it very clear that these TV's are not
ASTC, but there is no law requiring it.

There is an FCC regulation (with the force of law since it implements
the law) that requires notification
"As of March 1, 2007, all television receivers shipped in interstate
commerce or imported into the United States must contain a digital
tuner. In addition, effective May 25, 2007, the Commission required
sellers of television receiving equipment that does not include a
digital tuner to disclose at the point-of-sale that such devices include
only an analog tuner, and therefore will require a digital-to-analog
converter box to receive over-the-air broadcast television after the
transition date.
****Retailers must inform consumers by prominently displaying the
following text if they are selling TV equipment with only an analog
tuner:
This television receiver has only an analog broadcast tuner and will
require a converter box after February 17, 2009, to receive over-the-air
broadcasts with an antenna because of the Nation¹s transition to digital
broadcasting. Analog-only TVs should continue to work as before with
cable and satellite TV services, gaming consoles, VCRs, DVD players, and
similar products. For more information, call the Federal Communications
Commission at 1-888-225-5322 (TTY: 1-888-835-5322) or visit the
Commission¹s digital television website at:
www.dtv.gov.
Therefore, after May 25, 2007, all television equipment being sold
should contain a digital tuner, or should be identified at the
point-of-sale as not having one. Be sure to look for this label if you
are purchasing a new TV.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Jan 31, 2:05*pm, "Ray" wrote:
[...]

But this isn't the FCC, it's signon sandiego.

"March 5, 2007

Many Americans don't understand digital TV, but they no longer can buy
the old analog technology it replaces,

Maybe it's even illegal to sell it, but it's still for sale.

thanks to a federal mandate
that recently kicked in.

All new television sets designed to receive over-the-air signals must
now contain a tuner capable of receiving digital broadcasts, not just
the old-style analog signals we have relied on for the past half-
century.

The March 1 mandate covers smaller sets, the last bastion of all-
analog technology. "

Well, somehow it's wrong. Even if for the sake of argument it is
illegal to sell analog sets, they are still selling them.

So, as I stated, for about 2 years now, ALL TVs manufactured for sale

This might be true, but in the first post you said "All tv's sold in
the US". A big difference. Who knows how big the unsold inventory
of analog tv's is.

in the USA must have an ATSC tuner. Yeah, you might find some TV
somewhere that was built prior to Mar 2007, but the chances of that
are small, unless it's some refurbished piece of crap.

He said he was shopping at a discount house. (And I'm pretty sure
the ones I saw were also at Target, like Salty says. Maybe they bought
a big bunch of them somewhere. There are loads of seconds, odd-lots,
unsold lots, leftovers, of all sorts of things. Certain stores
specialize in them (although often mixing them with cheap shlock that
isn't a bargain), and others sell them sometimes.)

I don't understand why this question even needs to be asked. All one
has to do is read the box.

The problem with that is that box writers are very good at being
misleading. Do you remember when iiuc lots of tvs were called
cable-compatible, even though they still required a cable box to
receive stations. IIUC, all tvs including the ones from the 1950's
were cable-compatible by that standard.

I wanted some food that didn't need refrigeration and saw that
Bumblebee Tuna had bags like that. One of their 3 similar packages
showed something wrapped up in what looked like baloney, but might
have been made out of tuna. I thought that might be a "serving
suggestion", so I looked further and the bag said "wraps". So I
bought it. I haven't opened the bag yet, but now I see the words are
in a circle, with a big banner in the middlle separating "Good for"
from "Wraps". So it's just the same chopped tuna fish with a
different flavor from the other two bags. And the other two were
just as suitable for wraps. It's only $1.50, but I have to remember
to bring a fork and not think I can hold it by a wrapper that it
doesnt have.

The requirement began with the largest TVs quite a few years ago and
included even the smallest for maybe the last 2 years or so.

Absolutely not. *I've seen non-digital tvs up to 15 inches in the
stores this year. *They were however labeled that they would require a
converter or something to receive digital signals.

These tvs still work with converters, cable, and satellite. *That's
the vast majority of America. *Let the manufacturers change over their
production as they see fit. *Just don't mislead consumers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 10:58*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

The retailers are smart to make it very clear that these TV's are not
ASTC, but there is no law requiring it.

There is an FCC regulation (with the force of law since it implements
the law) that requires notification
* * "As of March 1, 2007, all television receivers shipped in interstate
commerce or imported into the United States must contain a digital
tuner.

Now that is very interesting indeed. It goes a lot farther than what
I thought, which was just that new TVs couldn't be manufactured
without an ATSC tuner after that March date. Now I find it very hard
to believe that this law isn't being violated. How could a retailer
like Target be selling them nationwide 2 years later without shipping
them interstate? I guess they could be limited to in-state stock,
but it's hard to imagine a retail channel with 2 year old consumer
product.

I'm going to be near Target later today and will check and see if they
have the referenced Truetech TV, which appears to be only a Target
house brand and exactly what it says on the box. . Also, without
getting anyone all ****ed off, if anyone has any other links to TVs
being sold without digital tuners, I'd like to see them, because I
don't think it's common.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 09:15:17 -0700, Robert Neville

No one is violating the law. The law only mandates that any TV's
MANUFACTURED after the cutoff date have ASTC tuners. Nowhere in the
laws does it say you can no longer sell pre-existing NTSC TV's after a
certain date.

Yes - you just know that them d*mn Republicans were in there trying to protect
their big business partners by preventing the poor consumer from knowing they
were buying a boat anchor.

Oh. Wait a second...

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/01/24...or-analog-tvs/

Let's see - 2007, who was in charge of the House then.... Hmmm.

???
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote in
:

In article ,
"SBH" wrote:

"Ray" wrote in message
[...]

I saw a CVS ad today for that Prism 7" TV,and right on the TV itself says
"ATSC Television". Thus,it needs no converter.
CVS has it on sale for $99.99.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 2:05*pm, "Ray" wrote:
[...]

It's an article from the March 5, 2005 Boston Globe. I remember the
reqt to phase-in ATSC tuners very well. It started with a date, maybe
around 2005 for the largest sets and worked it's way down in size over
time. I also provided another link here in the thread to a broadcast
engineering site that says the same thing. Kurt provided another
link. So, now what? You want to question the accuracy of the Boston
Globe and the other sources? And your source, other than your own
opinion would be?

"March 5, 2007

Many Americans don't understand digital TV, but they no longer can buy
the old analog technology it replaces,

Maybe it's even illegal to sell it, but it's still for sale.

thanks to a federal mandate
that recently kicked in.

All new television sets designed to receive over-the-air signals must
now contain a tuner capable of receiving digital broadcasts, not just
the old-style analog signals we have relied on for the past half-
century.

The March 1 mandate covers smaller sets, the last bastion of all-
analog technology. "

Well, somehow it's wrong. * Even if for the sake of argument it is
illegal to sell analog sets, they are still selling them.

So far, the only one that appears to be selling them is Target. They
are not taking orders online, but do say they have stock in some
stores. If you have any other examples, I'd like to see them.

So, as I stated, for about 2 years now, ALL TVs manufactured for sale

This might be true, but in the first post you said "All tv's sold in
the US". * A big difference. * Who knows how big the unsold inventory
of analog tv's is. *

Yes, that's true. I mistated it. But interestingly, it's beyond
manufactured. According to the link Kurt provided, the FCC order bans
the importation or interstate shipment of TVs without an ATSC tuner
after Mar 2007.

Knowing how the consumer electronics biz works, would you expect to
find sets that haven't been shipped for 2 years still on the shelf?
Yeah, you might find some exception, which apparently the Target case
is. IIf you have others that you know of, I'd be happy to see them.

in the USA must have an ATSC tuner. * Yeah, you might find some TV
somewhere that was built prior to Mar 2007, but the chances of that
are small, unless it's some refurbished piece of crap.

He said he was shopping at a discount house. * (And I'm pretty sure
the ones I saw were also at Target, like Salty says. Maybe they bought
a big bunch of them somewhere. *There are loads of seconds, odd-lots,
unsold lots, leftovers, of all sorts of things. Certain stores
specialize in them (although often mixing them with cheap shlock that
isn't a bargain), and others sell them sometimes.)

Stores could buy them, but they couldn't legally ship them interstate
for the last 2 years. That would seem to severly limit what you might
find in the retail channel.

I don't understand why this question even needs to be asked. *All one
has to do is read the box.

The problem with that is that box writers are very good at being
misleading. *Do you remember when iiuc lots of tvs were called
cable-compatible, even though they still required a cable box to
receive stations. * IIUC, all tvs including the ones from the 1950's
were cable-compatible by that standard.

Nonsense. The boxes will state if they have an ATSC tuner. In
fact, another specific reqt of the FCC is that those TV without ATSC
that have been sold in the last 2 years MUST have a specific warning
that they are not DTV compatible. Besides, a retailer would be
pretty stupid to sell crap that they are going to have to take back.

[...]

Absolutely not what? The freaking FCC started this phase-in about 4
years ago. It's a fact. It started with the largest TV and worked
it's way down. Since Mar 2005 all TV's have been included, which
means you can't manufacture them, import them, ship them interstate.

So, you saw some leftovers. Maybe they were refurbished, so what?
Hmmm, doesn't the fact that they were clearly labeled go completely
opposite to your whine above?

These tvs still work with converters, cable, and satellite. *That's
the vast majority of America. *Let the manufacturers change over their
production as they see fit. *Just don't mislead consumers.- Hide quoted

One more time: The FCC mandated the changeover. It was NOT left to
the discretion of the manufacturers. The FCC did it because they
wanted to be sure that all TV's being sold by now would be DTV
compatible to ease the transition. OK, not all, but almost all,
because 2 years later, I'd bet the amount of non ATSC units being sold
is a miniscule amount of all TVs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 11:54:14 -0600, "HeyBub"

No need to get snippy. It's only common web courtesy to provide a
link to something you've found that supports your position, instead
of expecting everyone else to go look for it, expecially when a
typical store has hundreds of TVs.

As I said, I wasn't expecting to spoon feed the group. I made an off
hand comment indicating that non-digital TV's are readily available at
major retailers. That hardly calls for cites or a full deposition
under oath.

Odd, I could have sworn you said: "Walmart has non-digital sets on their
website."

I need glasses.

Walmart has those, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 1:41*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 11:54:14 -0600, "HeyBub"

No need to get snippy. * It's only common web courtesy to provide a
link to something you've found that supports your position, instead
of expecting everyone else to go look for it, expecially when a
typical store has hundreds of TVs.

As I said, I wasn't expecting to spoon feed the group. I made an off
hand comment indicating that non-digital TV's are readily available at
major retailers. That hardly calls for cites or a full deposition
under oath.

Odd, I could have sworn you said: "Walmart has non-digital sets on their
website."

I need glasses.

Walmart has those, too.- Hide quoted text -

So, once again, would it kill you to provide a link or should we all
go looking through the specs of a bunch of TVs? You saw it, you
should know which one it is, how hard is it to post the link?