Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Table saw- disc sander conversion question

I have read most of the messages about converting a (belt-driven) table
saw to a disc sander. I have an older saw collecting dust in the
corner (it's worthless as a table saw) and am considering one of the
sanding discs for infrequent use. I expect it to ruin the saw or arbor
bearing over time. I could care less.

The thing I am not clear on is RPM. My motor turns at 3450. The
grizzly disc sander says it turns at 3450.

What should the disc spin at? It's just a pulley choice. The messages
about the saw turning too fast and burning up wood don't seem clear. I
assume this is because people are using the same pulley ratio as they
were with the saw blade, which is faster than 3450?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

How do you get a saw to collect dust? People spend a lot of money on
other machines to do that - my saws just seems to produce dust.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have read most of the messages about converting a (belt-driven) table
saw to a disc sander. I have an older saw collecting dust in the
corner (it's worthless as a table saw) and am considering one of the
sanding discs for infrequent use. I expect it to ruin the saw or arbor
bearing over time. I could care less.

The thing I am not clear on is RPM. My motor turns at 3450. The
grizzly disc sander says it turns at 3450.

What should the disc spin at? It's just a pulley choice. The messages
about the saw turning too fast and burning up wood don't seem clear. I
assume this is because people are using the same pulley ratio as they
were with the saw blade, which is faster than 3450?

You can slow down the burn rate and or surface speed by simply sanding
closer to the center of the disk rather than the outer edge.