Chris Nail

Default butcher block table question

I am building a butcher block table and constructing the top by gluing
together 15 pieces of 2" hard maple. As expected the pieces are not
lining up just right. I was wondering if anyone can lend advice as to
the best method of smoothing out the pieces. I thought about using a
belt sander to "grind" them smooth. Since end grain is showing, would
this be ok? (I don't have any experience with a belt sander so forgive
my ignorance.) If the belt sander method would work, what path should
I take to accomplish my goal? Should I work parallel to the lines or
perpendicular?

Thanks in advance for your help....

Chris

Jeff P.

I would take the whole thing to a local sawmil or cabinet shop or ? and have
them run it through the large belt sander. You'll pay a fee for it but it
should be reasonable. You'll accomplish what you want in a few minutes.

--
Jeff P.

A truck carrying copies of Roget's Thesaurus over-turned on the
highway. The local newspaper reported that the onlookers were
"stunned, overwhelmed, astonished, bewildered, and dumfounded."

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

"Chris Nail" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am building a butcher block table and constructing the top by gluing
together 15 pieces of 2" hard maple. As expected the pieces are not
lining up just right. I was wondering if anyone can lend advice as to
the best method of smoothing out the pieces. I thought about using a
belt sander to "grind" them smooth. Since end grain is showing, would
this be ok? (I don't have any experience with a belt sander so forgive
my ignorance.) If the belt sander method would work, what path should
I take to accomplish my goal? Should I work parallel to the lines or
perpendicular?

Thanks in advance for your help....

Chris

dzine

Traditionally the blocks were made from birch and bolted together in a
frame. As end grain was used the small gaps were filled with the
meshing fibres. Having worked with birch i can see why it was the wood
of choice. i would just use a belt sander after assembly.

rtork

Chris,

If you have a friend with a planner or jointer you can run the
boards through them before you glue them up.

Rob

Butcher Block Table pictures posted at a.b.p.w. Leon Woodworking 11 February 8th 05 10:03 PM
Table Saw Question Boots Woodworking 10 January 8th 05 10:27 PM
Rain seeping inside through concrete block wall above grade (Warning: LONG explanation) Vinnie Murdico Home Repair 9 September 8th 04 02:43 AM
Butcher Block Countertop around sink Fred in Waco Woodworking 4 June 7th 04 01:55 PM
Cheap table saw miter slot question Mike W. Woodworking 7 November 1st 03 09:55 PM