Chris Nail

Default butcher block table question

I am building a butcher block table and constructing the top by gluing
together 15 pieces of 2" hard maple. As expected the pieces are not
lining up just right. I was wondering if anyone can lend advice as to
the best method of smoothing out the pieces. I thought about using a
belt sander to "grind" them smooth. Since end grain is showing, would
this be ok? (I don't have any experience with a belt sander so forgive
my ignorance.) If the belt sander method would work, what path should
I take to accomplish my goal? Should I work parallel to the lines or
perpendicular?

Thanks in advance for your help....

Chris