Boots

Default Table Saw Question

I have an old cast iron craftsman 10" table saw but it does
not have an motor. Can anyone tell me if the motor was a 1hp
3450rpm? The saw is in good shape and I would like to get it
working again. Thanks

Duane Bozarth

Boots wrote:

I have an old cast iron craftsman 10" table saw but it does
not have an motor. Can anyone tell me if the motor was a 1hp
3450rpm? The saw is in good shape and I would like to get it
working again. Thanks

Probably, but I'd consider 1 hp minimal...at least 1.5 would be my
recommendation...
Leon

"Boots" wrote in message ...
I have an old cast iron craftsman 10" table saw but it does
not have an motor. Can anyone tell me if the motor was a 1hp
3450rpm? The saw is in good shape and I would like to get it
working again. Thanks

They came with 1 hp but you would be happier with 1.5.

LRod

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:27:58 -0600, "Boots" wrote:

I have an old cast iron craftsman 10" table saw but it does
not have an motor. Can anyone tell me if the motor was a 1hp
3450rpm?

Who knows? Over the years Sears had HP numbers all over the spectrum
from 1 to 3 or more. In reality it probably was about 1 HP, and as the
others have stated, you might (MIGHT) be happier with 1.5. However,
don't bother going any higher than that. The design of the saw with
gravity providing the belt tension (and iffily at that) any more HP
than about 1½ is just throwing money down the drain.

3450 is the correct speed. Watch the rotation on some of the motors
you'll be looking at. You'll want clockwise (as when looking at the
shaft), or reversible. You'll also be happier with a 120/240V motor so
you can run it on 240. It won't be any cheaper or efficient and it
won't give you any more power, but if your shop is a long way from the
service entrance, you might see a difference in performance due to
lower I^2R losses at the higher voltage.

A NEMA 56 frame will bolt right on. That's a pretty common frame for
motors so it shouldn't be a problem. Other frame types may work but if
you don't know, keep looking for a 56.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
hylourgos

Hey Boots, what's the Sears number on that machine? (It's usually three
digits followed by a period then several more digits). With that number
in hand, go to Sears.com, click on "Parts" near the bottom of the page,
and enter your number. You'll often be able to download a manual, or at
least see a breakdown of the machine.

FYI, Craftsman has marketed hundreds of TS combinations through the
years. I have a 1980s 3hp industrial behemoth sold under the Craftsman
aegis.

Regards, H

SteveC1280

I have two vintage cast iron 10" table saws. Both model numbers are 113.XXXXX.
They both have 3450 RPM motors. One has the the original Crafstman 1 HP motor.
I upgraded the other to a 2 HP motor. Both are great saws. I bot one for $35
and the other was free. Why two you ask. I have one at home and the other at
the vacation home.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.
Jim

"Boots" wrote in message ...
I have an old cast iron craftsman 10" table saw but it does
not have an motor. Can anyone tell me if the motor was a 1hp
3450rpm? The saw is in good shape and I would like to get it
working again. Thanks

I own a very old craftsman which has a 1 hp repulsion induction motor. That
is about right for this saw.
FYI, Emerson discontinued repulsion induction motors in 1953.
Jim

Mike

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 17:13:32 GMT, "Jim" wrote:

I own a very old craftsman which has a 1 hp repulsion induction motor. That
is about right for this saw.

Hmmm......I didn't think Craftsman needed to induce any more
repulsion! g

Mike O.