LRod

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:27:58 -0600, "Boots" wrote:

I have an old cast iron craftsman 10" table saw but it does
not have an motor. Can anyone tell me if the motor was a 1hp
3450rpm?

Who knows? Over the years Sears had HP numbers all over the spectrum
from 1 to 3 or more. In reality it probably was about 1 HP, and as the
others have stated, you might (MIGHT) be happier with 1.5. However,
don't bother going any higher than that. The design of the saw with
gravity providing the belt tension (and iffily at that) any more HP
than about 1½ is just throwing money down the drain.

3450 is the correct speed. Watch the rotation on some of the motors
you'll be looking at. You'll want clockwise (as when looking at the
shaft), or reversible. You'll also be happier with a 120/240V motor so
you can run it on 240. It won't be any cheaper or efficient and it
won't give you any more power, but if your shop is a long way from the
service entrance, you might see a difference in performance due to
lower I^2R losses at the higher voltage.

A NEMA 56 frame will bolt right on. That's a pretty common frame for
motors so it shouldn't be a problem. Other frame types may work but if
you don't know, keep looking for a 56.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net