Fred in Waco

Default Butcher Block Countertop around sink

I am thinking about putting in Butcher Block countertops in my small
kitchen. This would include the area around the sink. I am against
sealing the countertop with a poly blend (Durakryl, Good Stuff,
etc...).

My question is: What do I do around the sink. I am willing to seal a
small portion of the counter top (behind the sink and a couple of
inches on each side). Is this even a viable option? Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
Neil

On 4 Jun 2004 13:14:44 -0700, Fred in Waco
wrote:

I am thinking about putting in Butcher Block countertops in my small
kitchen. This would include the area around the sink. I am against
sealing the countertop with a poly blend (Durakryl, Good Stuff,
etc...).

My question is: What do I do around the sink. I am willing to seal a
small portion of the counter top (behind the sink and a couple of
inches on each side). Is this even a viable option? Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

My madrone countertops are sealed with OS Hardwax Oil.

http://www.environmentalhomecenter.c...OS_HARDWAX_OIL

The link is to an outfit in Seattle who sells the countertops and the
finish. I have been happy with the finish of mine. It is very stain
resistant, although oil spots can take a while to disapate. I have no
affiliation with the company other than being a satisfied customer.

Neil
Greg

The butcher block is not really what you want around a sink. That is
particularly true if you are not totally sealing them. You will never get the
moisture content balanced and it will split apart at the joints. The side near
the sink will always have a greater swing in moisture, swelling and all that.

Eric Ryder

"Fred in Waco" wrote in message
om...
I am thinking about putting in Butcher Block countertops in my small
kitchen. This would include the area around the sink. I am against
sealing the countertop with a poly blend (Durakryl, Good Stuff,
etc...).

My question is: What do I do around the sink. I am willing to seal a
small portion of the counter top (behind the sink and a couple of
inches on each side). Is this even a viable option? Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

At a customers request, I did a Corian type inlay for their rimming SS sink
on their maple top last week.

Fred in Waco

"Eric Ryder" wrote in message ...
"Fred in Waco" wrote in message
om...
I am thinking about putting in Butcher Block countertops in my small
kitchen. This would include the area around the sink. I am against
sealing the countertop with a poly blend (Durakryl, Good Stuff,
etc...).

My question is: What do I do around the sink. I am willing to seal a
small portion of the counter top (behind the sink and a couple of
inches on each side). Is this even a viable option? Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

At a customers request, I did a Corian type inlay for their rimming SS sink
on their maple top last week.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.
About this Corian type inlay.... do you have any examples of this.
I'm obviously new to the countertop world so I'm having difficulty
picturing this.