Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

Default Table saw- disc sander conversion question

Morris Dovey wrote:
(in
) said:

| I have read most of the messages about converting a (belt-driven)
| table saw to a disc sander. I have an older saw collecting dust in
| the corner (it's worthless as a table saw) and am considering one
| of the sanding discs for infrequent use. I expect it to ruin the
| saw or arbor bearing over time. I could care less.
|
| The thing I am not clear on is RPM. My motor turns at 3450. The
| grizzly disc sander says it turns at 3450.
|
| What should the disc spin at? It's just a pulley choice. The
| messages about the saw turning too fast and burning up wood don't
| seem clear. I assume this is because people are using the same
| pulley ratio as they were with the saw blade, which is faster than
| 3450?

Saw speed works for me. I did burn some oak on the first try; but a
little care goes a long way toward eliminating that problem. Worry
about the pulley ratio if/when you decide the speed is actually a
problem.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Yep, what you said.
Just take care and regulate your pressure and you should be cooking with
gas
John