Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default TV conversion question? ? ?

In article ,
"SBH" wrote:

"Ray" wrote in message
Our little cheapo 5" screen TV that we use in the kitchen is doomed
whenever TV makes its conversion -- in June now, I believe. Obviously we
won't get a $100 converter box for a $15 TV set.

But I just noticed one of the discount stores has on sale a Prism digital
LCD TV. with a 7" screen. My question is whether this one would also
require a converter box -- or how could I tell.

It does have a retractable antenna, if that means anything.

The good news is you'll be able to watch that little TV a bit longer as the
government will be delaying the switch over date to June. It's not a sure
thing yet but the bill passed the senate and has to pass the house which is
predicted to do so.

Check to make sure any TV you purchase has it's own digital tuner. If not,
it'll require a box, but then again, you shouldn't even be able to find a
new TV without a digital tuner.

Or if so, they should be well labeled as such. Looking over the
FCC rule making pdfs, I can't find anything that indicates any kind of a
deadline for DTV tuners in sets under 13 inches.