Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Genie Pro 88 won't close

I have a old Genie Pro 88 garage door opener. The door opens fine but when
I try to close it is moves a few inches and then auto reverses. I tried
adjusting the auto sesitivity screw at the back of the opener but that
didn't help. WHat should I be aiming fro when I turn this acrew? Should I
turn it until the door reaches a certain position? What is that position?
Or is there something else I need to adjust. Pls help.

-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bhatiap" wrote in message
om...
I have a old Genie Pro 88 garage door opener. The door opens fine but when
I try to close it is moves a few inches and then auto reverses. I tried
adjusting the auto sesitivity screw at the back of the opener but that
didn't help. WHat should I be aiming fro when I turn this acrew? Should I
turn it until the door reaches a certain position? What is that position?
Or is there something else I need to adjust. Pls help.

-------------------------------------

Does it have an "electric eye?" If yes, there's probably a problem there
with blockage or alignment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Jan 2009 15:35:13 GMT,
(bhatiap) wrote:

I have a old Genie Pro 88 garage door opener. The door opens fine but when
I try to close it is moves a few inches and then auto reverses. I tried
adjusting the auto sesitivity screw at the back of the opener but that
didn't help. WHat should I be aiming fro when I turn this acrew? Should I
turn it until the door reaches a certain position? What is that position?
Or is there something else I need to adjust. Pls help.

-------------------------------------

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

The opener is designed to shut down and reverse if it feels the motor
is working too hard to move the door. One reason it might work too
hard is if the door hits something or someone. The adjustment you
talk about simply sets how sensitive this feature is. All the way in
one direction will make it act exactly like you are seeing. All the
way the other way should make it plow through almost anything. Try
that as a diagnostic, but don't leave it like that as it should stop
and reverse if it hits something. Possible reasons it might have
changed are need of lubrication or a binding door. The safety feature
has no way of knowing *why* the motor is working harder than usual.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 7:35*am, (bhatiap) wrote:
I have a old Genie Pro 88 garage door opener. The door opens fine but when
I try to close it is moves a few inches and then auto reverses. I tried
adjusting the auto sesitivity screw at the back of the opener but that
didn't help. WHat should I be aiming fro when I turn this acrew? Should I
turn it until the door reaches a certain position? What is that position?
Or is there something else I need to adjust. Pls help.

Do you have the "electric eye" safety system? If so........press &
hold the wall switch. If the door closes completely, the electric
eye system has a problem. Dirty lens, bad connection, poor alignment,
etc

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Jan 2009 15:35:13 GMT,
(bhatiap) wrote:

I have a old Genie Pro 88 garage door opener. The door opens fine but when
I try to close it is moves a few inches and then auto reverses. I tried
adjusting the auto sesitivity screw at the back of the opener but that
didn't help. WHat should I be aiming fro when I turn this acrew? Should I
turn it until the door reaches a certain position? What is that position?
Or is there something else I need to adjust. Pls help.

-------------------------------------

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

Not sure on the 88 - but I think you have current sense on the drive
head, and limit switches on the track. If so, you want the downforce
adjustment st to MAX.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bhatiap had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...se-353086-.htm
:
Thank you all for the replies. My garage door opener doesn't have any eye
to detect any obstruction. I tried adjusting the screw at the back and I
can now get the door to close when the door is only about 2/3rds open
(open just enough to let my Toyota Camry go through). If I open it all the
way then it doesn't close. It seems that it can't get over the bend. Will
try to lubricate and see if it helps. I can see grease on the sping in the
center but do I also need to apply some sort of grease/oil on the track
where the door wheels sit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Jan 2009 00:58:48 GMT,
(bhatiap) wrote:

bhatiap had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...se-353086-.htm
:
Thank you all for the replies. My garage door opener doesn't have any eye
to detect any obstruction. I tried adjusting the screw at the back and I
can now get the door to close when the door is only about 2/3rds open
(open just enough to let my Toyota Camry go through). If I open it all the
way then it doesn't close. It seems that it can't get over the bend. Will
try to lubricate and see if it helps. I can see grease on the sping in the
center but do I also need to apply some sort of grease/oil on the track
where the door wheels sit?

Flip the lever that disconnects the door from the opener and try the
door by hand to see if it feels right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bhatiap had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...se-353086-.htm
:
Thank you all for the replies. My garage door opener doesn't have any
eye to detect any obstruction. I tried adjusting the screw at the
back and I can now get the door to close when the door is only about
2/3rds open (open just enough to let my Toyota Camry go through). If
I open it all the way then it doesn't close. It seems that it can't
get over the bend. Will try to lubricate and see if it helps. I can
see grease on the sping in the center but do I also need to apply
some sort of grease/oil on the track where the door wheels sit?

First disconnect the door from the opener by pulling the emergency
rope, then move the door manually through its entire range. It should
be balanced well enough that you can move it all the way up and down
with only a few fingers.

If it doesn't move easily, it needs to be rebalanced. If your door is
balanced, it's unusual. Most doors are _way_ off. They start off
balanced, but nobody has the door guy come out every year for a
tune-up. The opener works harder and harder as time goes on, until the
load is just too big to handle. That's when your problem appears.

You can find web sites that will walk you through the tuning process.
Most of it is pretty straightforward, like getting the tracks straight
and oiling the rollers, but the springs can be a bear. They can take
off your head if they let go at just the right time. I've had them make
holes in walls--nasty ones. (I don't mess with springs any more.)

As for oiling, get a spray can of lubricant that's designed for garage
doors. You put it only on the rollers and other moving parts, not the
track.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm having the similar problem. The door works freely. I have no safety sensors but it's as though the safety sensor is keeping the door from closing. the problem was intermittent but happens all the time now. The door opens fine but will not close at any position. I have checked the grounds and I've made sure the stop switches are not shorted or open and are working properly. I'm thinking the circuit board is bad as I just replaced the bad transformer. Opener worked fine for about a month after the transformer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 22, 2019 at 6:02:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I'm having the similar problem. The door works freely. I have no safety sensors but it's as though the safety sensor is keeping the door from closing. the problem was intermittent but happens all the time now. The door opens fine but will not close at any position. I have checked the grounds and I've made sure the stop switches are not shorted or open and are working properly. I'm thinking the circuit board is bad as I just replaced the bad transformer. Opener worked fine for about a month after the transformer..

Did you google for the brand and repair video? When the door
reverses it's usually the eye sensors, but you don't have those. Next on
the list, I think there was some kind of wheel that spins on the end of
the gears and a sensor that it uses to tell if the door has abruptly stopped.
That can be loose, broken, etc. At least some makes have that. There is also
a downforce sensor, which if set too low could cause a problem. You said the
door moves freely, which I assume includes that it's close to balanced,
doesn't take much force to lower it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 24, 2019 at 10:46:18 AM UTC-8, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
Trader4 must live on usenet, poor dear.
LOL

Door would open but would not close once it reached the motor, but it would open and shut if the door were partially open about a foot from the motor. FIX: I had installed a fancy LED light on the motor, once I removed the bulb the door started working . I had a fluorescent light bar adjacent to the motor and used it as my motor light since I didn't have any regular bulbs bypassing it. The door has worked fine ever since.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 15:12:44 -0700 (PDT), Joe Carreiro
wrote:

On Sunday, November 24, 2019 at 10:46:18 AM UTC-8, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
Trader4 must live on usenet, poor dear.
LOL

Door would open but would not close once it reached the motor, but it would open and shut if the door were partially open about a foot from the motor. FIX: I had installed a fancy LED light on the motor, once I removed the bulb the door started working . I had a fluorescent light bar adjacent to the motor and used it as my motor light since I didn't have any regular bulbs bypassing it. The door has worked fine ever since.

RF interference from the crappy LED light.

T and G Photo From Wreck Discussion - Close Up - Joint Close Up.jpg (0/1) Tom Watson Woodworking Plans and Photos 5 May 26th 08 03:30 PM
T and G Photo From Wreck Discussion - Close Up - Joint Close Up.jpg (1/1) Tom Watson Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 May 26th 08 01:33 AM
ice dams - attic temperature & outside temperature - how close is close enough Bobo Home Ownership 1 February 4th 06 09:10 PM
Genie Pro 98 NeoTek Home Repair 6 August 28th 05 12:46 AM
Aligning table saw -- how close is close enough? Roy Smith Woodworking 24 February 9th 04 03:08 AM