Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Default DTV related accidents and deaths

Leave it to the government to do things that are entirely stupid.
Having the DTV changeover on Feb. 17 is one of them. The majority of
Americans are coping with snow and ice and cold weather in February.
At the same time, these same people are stuck indoors and watching
more tv than they do in warmer weather.

On Feb 17th the analog signals will be gone, and everyone will have to
get their converter boxes working or they will see a blank screen.
While some people have already gotten their converters working, many
of us (including myself), have tried them, and found then inferior
because the stations are still sending out a low powererd dtv signal.
They claim they will increase their power on Feb 17, which may or may
not be true, because I'm sure this will not be an overnight change,
and there will be technical problems.

So, beginning on February 17, how many people are going to fall off
snow covered roofs, slip on icy ladders, fall off antenna towers, etc.
while trying to do things to their antennas to get better reception.
This is precisely where the government makes no sense at all. Why
didn't they make the change in June, July, or August, when anyone can
safely go on the roof, and when people can take their time getting
things working because they are spending most of their time outdoors
away from the tv.

I wonder how many people are going to end up in hospitals or dead from
working on their antennas in freezing cold weather?
I'm sure we'll see much of this on the news. (That's if we can see
the news on our tv sets).

President elect Obama said he wants to extend the date of the
changeover because the govt. ran out of money for the coupons. I hope
that the date change occurs in warm weather. Maybe wait another 6
months, which would then occur in August. With any hope, Obama will
have more sense than previous politicians.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
K K is offline

Maybe if your postings didn't infer that you are the victim of a
government/big business plot to do you in, fewer people would regard you as
an idiot.

"Jimw" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 15:28:55 -0600, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

You're an idiot if you believe that!

It never fails. No matter what anyone posts on any newsgroup, there
is some asshole that replies with name calling.
I'm glad my news software has a good killfile!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 15:02:42 -0600, Jimw wrote:

Leave it to the government to do things that are entirely stupid.
Having the DTV changeover on Feb. 17 is one of them.

snip

I wonder how many people are going to end up in hospitals or dead from
working on their antennas in freezing cold weather?

I agree, Feb. 17 it's a stupid date, but aren't you being just a bit too
pessimistic? Hope everything will go well for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gordon Shumway wrote:

With any hope, Obama will
have more sense than previous politicians.

You're an idiot if you believe that!

An idiot is someone who doesn't think he'll have more sense than the
previous holder of the office. Hell, all Obama has to do is not start any
wars or take the cop off the beat on Wall St. and he'll be ahead of the last
mutt.

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 18:02:55 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 10, 8:41?pm, Chris wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 15:02:42 -0600, Jimw wrote:
Leave it to the government to do things that are entirely stupid.
Having the DTV changeover on Feb. 17 is one of them. ?

snip

I wonder how many people are going to end up in hospitals or dead from
working on their antennas in freezing cold weather?

I agree, Feb. 17 it's a stupid date, but aren't you being just a bit too
pessimistic? Hope everything will go well for you.

Don't you mean optomistic?

Well its another good point, the changeover should be delayed till
nicer weather.

That would only make sense.

and since many floks will need roof antennas with rotors because
rabbit ears dont work, its time to bailout the every man with a coupon
for a free OTA antenna

In all honesty, I was thinking they should provide some assistance for
persons who need new antennas. My antenna is only a few years old.
Works well for analog, but it appears that it may not work at all for
digital. But there again, will a new natenna work, or am I just in an
area which will not get the digital signal? This means I may buy
another antenna and still get nothing. Hell, if the govt is going to
profit from this, they should be paying for all our inconveniences due
to the change. It's not like "we the people" voted to allow this. I
already know my vote would have been a big *NO*.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jan 10, 3:02*pm, Jimw wrote:

Leave it to the government to do things that are entirely stupid.
Having the DTV changeover on Feb. 17 is one of them. *The majority of
Americans are coping with snow and ice and cold weather in February.
At the same time, these same people are stuck indoors and watching
more tv than they do in warmer weather. *

Jim

No, what's stupid is people who know change is coming procrastinating
until the very last day and then bitching about it.

It doesn't matter what date is picked for changeover, there will be
tens of thousands of people like you who won't be ready. O'bama may
extend the cutover date to give the 'poor' more time to get ready.
They will claim to be just as poor 6 months from now as they are
today. I do work for the "poor', and while there are some truly
needy, you'd be amazed at how many will claim to be destitute while
waiting in line and talking on their cell phones. They won't even
consider giving up a cell phone bill for food, medicine, or a dtv
converter box.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Jimw wrote in news:g82im4telm7fs19mos2u7qfcj78qinn17n@
4ax.com:

[...]

Their TV's in rooms will probably work. TV watching problem solved.

or dead

TV not required.

from
working on their antennas in freezing cold weather?
I'm sure we'll see much of this on the news. (That's if we can see
the news on our tv sets).

President elect Obama said he wants to extend the date of the
changeover because the govt. ran out of money for the coupons. I hope
that the date change occurs in warm weather. Maybe wait another 6
months, which would then occur in August. With any hope, Obama will
have more sense than previous politicians.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 23:08:42 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

or dead

TV not required.

I don't know. It's going to be hard for me to cut out tv even then.
I've arranged to have cable run to my grave.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

" President elect Obama said he wants to extend the date of the
changeover because the govt. ran out of money for the coupons. I hope
that the date change occurs in warm weather. Maybe wait another 6
months, which would then occur in August. With any hope, Obama will
have more sense than previous politicians.

Jim

Good Lord, yet another government entitlement and people are complaining
it's not enough!
Sounds like you guys are all from New Orleans and ignored the hurricane
evacuation orders and then sat in sewer water saying "Where's the government
with my free pre-paid debit cards and housing?" for the TV cameras.
How could anyone NOT be ready for this? It's been talked about for years. My
83 year old mother managed to take care of the whole thing by herself five
months ago. Get a brain and grow-up and stop crying!
Oh yeah, let's not forget in August, lots of thunderstorms and people could
get hit by lightning putting up those new government paid antennas!

BAHO

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jimw wrote:

Leave it to the government to do things that are entirely stupid.
Having the DTV changeover on Feb. 17 is one of them. The majority of
Americans are coping with snow and ice and cold weather in February.
At the same time, these same people are stuck indoors and watching
more tv than they do in warmer weather.

Slow news day on AHR.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

In article ,
"Mr.Spock" wrote:

Good Lord, yet another government entitlement and people are
complaining it's not enough!

People are being forced to PAY for free over the air TV.
Guess who is doing the forcing? duh.

$40 one time charge. Oh, the humanity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote:
Gordon Shumway wrote:

With any hope, Obama will
have more sense than previous politicians.

You're an idiot if you believe that!

An idiot is someone who doesn't think he'll have more sense than the
previous holder of the office. Hell, all Obama has to do is not start any
wars or take the cop off the beat on Wall St. and he'll be ahead of the last
mutt.

Hint, Clinton signed the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act into law. That removed
the last regulations that were enacted after the great depression to
prevent another one (taking the cop off the beat) . In general both the
red and blue teams have worked really well on behalf of the few.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Mr.Spock wrote:
"Bay Area Holdout" wrote in
:

" President elect Obama said he wants to extend the date of the
changeover because the govt. ran out of money for the coupons. I
hope that the date change occurs in warm weather. Maybe wait another
6 months, which would then occur in August. With any hope, Obama
will have more sense than previous politicians.

Jim

Good Lord, yet another government entitlement and people are
complaining it's not enough!

People are being forced to PAY for free over the air TV.
Guess who is doing the forcing? duh.

You apparently haven't considered that people had to pay for the current
equipment to receive free analog programming. The net cost to most
people for a converter is likely nill or $5.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 4:28*am, Norminn wrote:
Jimw wrote:
Leave it to the government to do things that are entirely stupid.
Having the DTV changeover on Feb. 17 is one of them. *The majority of
Americans are coping with snow and ice and cold weather in February.
At the same time, these same people are stuck indoors and watching
more tv than they do in warmer weather.

Slow news day on AHR.

But you can rely on someone showing up to bitch about some non-
problem.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Jan 11, 8:59�am, George wrote:
Mr.Spock wrote:
"Bay Area Holdout" wrote in
:

" President elect Obama said he wants to extend the date of the
changeover because the govt. ran out of money for the coupons. �I
hope that the date change occurs in warm weather. �Maybe wait another
6 months, which would then occur in August. �With any hope, Obama
will have more sense than previous politicians.

Jim
Good Lord, yet another government entitlement and people are
complaining it's not enough!

People are being forced to PAY for free over the air TV.
Guess who is doing the forcing? duh.

You apparently haven't considered that people had to pay for the current
equipment to receive free analog programming. The net cost to most
people for a converter is likely nill or $5.- Hide quoted text -

or hundreds of bucks or a outdoor antenna. if you check the maps the
stations or government produced there are many areas losing channels.
thats absolutely wrong

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

In article
,
" wrote:

On Jan 11, 8:59?am, George wrote:
Mr.Spock wrote:
"Bay Area Holdout" wrote in
:

[...]

Yeah, it's about as wrong as me not being able to drive down the street
that used to be two-way, because now it's one-way.

Your congressman's rep treated you like an idiot because you're acting
like one. The time for public comment on this issue was several years
ago, not a month before the thing is set to go into effect.

Most laws are to the benefit of some and the detriment of others. You
apparently believe you got the short end this time. So what? Obtain
whatever equipment you need to watch TV and get on with your life.
Losing a channel or two? BFD.

Try for a little perspective. Your life must be pretty sweet if this is
the only thing you have to complain about.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Jan 11, 11:02�am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
On Jan 11, 8:59?am, George wrote:
Mr.Spock wrote:
"Bay Area Holdout" wrote in
:

[...]

the only thing you have to complain about.- Hide quoted text -

severasl years ago when this FIASCO BEGAN we were promised much better
reception and nice features.

now someone dropped the ball, when channels that could be watched are
no longer there, or there for just minutes a day, in flawless quality.
the remainder of the day a blank screen.

Losing ABC altogether is just one example, people in rural areas are
having troubles and often no cable is available
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Red Red is offline

On Jan 11, 11:26*am, " wrote:

Most laws are to the benefit of some and the detriment of others. You
apparently believe you got the short end this time. So what? Obtain
whatever equipment you need to watch TV and get on with your life.
Losing a channel or two? BFD.

Try for a little perspective. Your life must be pretty sweet if this is
the only thing you have to complain about.

now someone dropped the ball, when channels that could be watched are
no longer there, or there for just minutes a day, in flawless quality.

Flawless quality? Bull! Another area where the ball was dropped is
that the entire action addresses the video portion of the transmitted
signal, not the audio portion. Therefore audio & video are separated,
the video digitally processed, and then reunited with the audio at a
mismatched time. It is left to the descretion of the individual tv
stations how to merge the audio with the video. Now the lip sync
problem is readily apparent on many channels, especially NBC. In many
cases the station engineers are ignoring the problem in hopes that
'someone else' will come up with a standard, fix, & cost of the fix.
Others are adding video-to-audio delays to catch the 'majority' of lip
sync problems but not all. Another government screwup where no one
read the fine print.

Red
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

well I for one waited to get a converter after reports of the early
ones werent good, I hoped later versions would be more sensitive and
work better.

sadly the improvement hasnt came.

plus I wanted the new DTV PAL DVR, but heck just a few are out, its on
back order. I have a order hanging with a personal friend who sells
them but hasnt even gotten his yet.

the loss of channels well theres no excuse, and hearings should be
held in congress asking why the broadcasters havent done better and
just what occured.

newxt thing you know they will want to convert AM and FM to digital.

government mucking at its typical best
Posted to alt.home.repair

Why don't you either get cable or satellite and get on with your life?
It's not the end of the world.

G.S.

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 10:30:09 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

well I for one waited to get a converter after reports of the early
ones werent good, I hoped later versions would be more sensitive and
work better.

sadly the improvement hasnt came.

plus I wanted the new DTV PAL DVR, but heck just a few are out, its on
back order. I have a order hanging with a personal friend who sells
them but hasnt even gotten his yet.

the loss of channels well theres no excuse, and hearings should be
held in congress asking why the broadcasters havent done better and
just what occured.

newxt thing you know they will want to convert AM and FM to digital.

government mucking at its typical best

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Jimw wrote:
[...]

I made sure mine was working last summer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

Hint, Clinton signed the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act into law. That removed
the last regulations that were enacted after the great depression to
prevent another one (taking the cop off the beat) . In general both
the red and blue teams have worked really well on behalf of the few.

Oh I agree that when the Dems are in power they do their share of damage,
that includes Clinton signing bills he should have vetoed, but let's not
forget who controlled Congress when those bills were created. Bush
inherited many issues, but somehow he found a way to make the consequences
worse than they had to be. Above all he chose to launch an ill-advised and
needless war that has killed well over 4,000 American soldiers and is
costing the taxpayer three billion dollars a week. Last week Dick Cheney
admitted to Bob Schieffer that Saddam never had the WMDs we heard so much
about prior to the invasion, but legalized torture is still okay by him.
Obama has a tough field position to play from, still, if he just avoids
mistakes on the scale of invading Iraq he's going to look like a more
competent President than Bush.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Jimw wrote:

So, beginning on February 17, how many people are going to fall off
snow covered roofs, slip on icy ladders, fall off antenna towers, etc.
while trying to do things to their antennas to get better reception.

Sometimes you need to pour a little bleach in the gene pool. People who
wait until the last possible minute to deal with the DTV switch and then
climb up on their roofs in winter are folks who probably shouldn't be
passing on their DNA.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

DGDevin wrote:
Jimw wrote:

So, beginning on February 17, how many people are going to fall off
snow covered roofs, slip on icy ladders, fall off antenna towers, etc.
while trying to do things to their antennas to get better reception.

Sometimes you need to pour a little bleach in the gene pool. People who
wait until the last possible minute to deal with the DTV switch and then
climb up on their roofs in winter are folks who probably shouldn't be
passing on their DNA.

If they have a house, they probably already have.

--
aem sends, an exception to that rule....
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"joe" wrote in message
I made sure mine was working last summer.

Yes, you and six other sensible people. Millions will wake up February 17
and wonder why the picture is gone.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

x-no-archive:
Flawless quality? *Bull! *Another area where the ball was dropped is
that the entire action addresses the video portion of the transmitted
signal, not the audio portion. *Therefore audio & video are separated,
the video digitally processed, and then reunited with the audio at a
mismatched time. It is left to the descretion of the individual tv
stations how to merge the audio with the video. *Now the lip sync
problem is readily apparent on many channels, especially NBC. *In many
cases the station engineers are ignoring the problem in hopes that
'someone else' will come up with a standard, fix, & cost of the fix.
Others are adding video-to-audio delays to catch the 'majority' of lip
sync problems but not all. *Another government screwup where no one
read the fine print.

Red

The government may screw up many things but I can assure you, lip sync
problems are not one of them.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"joe" wrote in message
I made sure mine was working last summer.

Yes, you and six other sensible people. Millions will wake up February 17
and wonder why the picture is gone.

that is kind of stupid. do you think they voted for Obamma, too?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 1:46�pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:
Why don't you either get cable or satellite and get on with your life?
It's not the end of the world.

G.S.

I currently have dish satellite service, but with the economy getting
so bad that might have to go, along with other luxuries.

previously could get all networks but no longer with digital
conversion

plus I wanted a DTVPAL for some secondary OTA channels like RTN,
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

mm wrote in
:

wrote:

or dead

TV not required.

I don't know. It's going to be hard for me to cut out tv even then.
I've arranged to have cable run to my grave.

They'll probably run Night of the Living Dead as frequently as It's a
Wonderful Life runs at Christmas for the live ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Jimw wrote:
[...]

if your antenna works before the switch it will work after the switch.
no changes necessary. so what are you whining about?

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jan 10, 8:41?pm, Chris wrote:
[...]

who told you that? an Obamma voter?
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

if your antenna works before the switch it will work after the switch.
no changes necessary. �so what are you whining about?-

obviously you have no knowledge, many people are losing channels they
could watch for their lifetime.

the new digital channels are not serving as large a area, MAY PLACES
WILL BE UNSERVED/

its in the government documents

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Ann Ann is offline

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 15:55:35 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"joe" wrote in message
I made sure mine was working last summer.

Yes, you and six other sensible people. Millions will wake up February 17
and wonder why the picture is gone.

Well ... no. The people who are going to be surprised when they wake up
on the 17th are those who didn't pay enough attention to know the switch
isn't until midnight. g

Yes, there will be a few people who wake up Feb 18th totally oblivious.
There also will be some "sensible people" who find the antenna they bought
last summer based on inaccurate/incomplete information isn't doing the job
they expected.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 9:32*pm, Red wrote:
On Jan 10, 3:02*pm, Jimw wrote:

[...]

The fact is that most people make their own luck, be it good or bad,
and have only themselves to blame for whatever circumstance they find
themselves in. You are right, many people will always wait until it
is too late and then bitch that they either didn't know or didn't have
time. Bought my converter boxes shortly after the coupons became
available, didn't have any trouble finding them, and only had to pay
sales tax on them. As it turns out, the only TV that I will need them
for is in my shop where I normally watch sports while I am working on
other projects.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 20:24:12 -0500, joe wrote:

if your antenna works before the switch it will work after the switch.
no changes necessary. so what are you whining about?

Don't confuse 'em with the facts. I'm waiting to see how many fall off the roof
trying to install the converter box on their antenna.

--
Jack

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
KLS KLS is offline

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 17:57:40 -0500, joe wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"joe" wrote in message
I made sure mine was working last summer.

Yes, you and six other sensible people. Millions will wake up February 17
and wonder why the picture is gone.

that is kind of stupid. do you think they voted for Obamma, too?

No, I'm sure they voted for Bush. Like you.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 12:18:14 -0800, "DGDevin" wrote:

Jimw wrote:

So, beginning on February 17, how many people are going to fall off
snow covered roofs, slip on icy ladders, fall off antenna towers, etc.
while trying to do things to their antennas to get better reception.

Jim, take a moment and go change your panties. You wet them yet again.

Sometimes you need to pour a little bleach in the gene pool.

This has to be the best single sentence to come out of this whole sordid
thread. I gotta remember that one.

People who
wait until the last possible minute to deal with the DTV switch and then
climb up on their roofs in winter are folks who probably shouldn't be
passing on their DNA.

True. Unfortunately when the toob goes blank, they're likely to do the only
OTHER thing that their 2-neuron brains permit and often that results in genes
being passed.

Me, I don't have a converter box. That's because I don't have a TV. Really,
folks, there is an actual world out there away from the idiot box. A world
that's kinda exciting once you clear your brain of the spooge that emits from
the toob.

John

--
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nobody is going on a ****ing roof with snow on it . Unless they are as
stupid as you are.
The box goes on your tv you ass hole !!!!
Jr

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974Tryke

Posted to alt.home.repair

"K" wrote in message
Maybe if your postings didn't infer that you are the victim of a
government/big business plot to do you in, fewer people would regard you
as an idiot.

I'm telling you it IS a plot. A Gawddamn plot by evil Republicans.
Everyone knows that Democrats have less income, therefore more of them will
be up there changing these things, unlike evil Republicans, who will employ
unemployed Democrats or illegal aliens to do it. And more of those poor
Democrats will fall off and die.

What I can't figure out is this. On every box I have ever seen, they sit on
a shelf INSIDE the house. Where's the risk?

Steve