Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stuck frozen car doors

Slightly off topic
Anyone got any suggestions to keep car doors from freezing stuck.
Yes, I know a heated garage would help, but I dont have that.
I'm looking for something to put on the door gaskets that will prevent
them from freezing to the door frame. One was so badly stuck that the
gasket came off part of the door, and I had to re-glue it. I've been
late for work 4 times in the past month because of this, and my boss
is not happy about it. It's a pickup truck, if both doors are frozen,
there is nothing I can do except get a hair dryer and begin unthawing
it, which is the last thing I want to do on a cold winter morning.
I had this problem on other vehicles in the past, but for soem reason
this pickup is worse than others. Probably because it dont have those
small roof "gutters" like most other vehicles I have owned. (poor
design).

thanks for replies

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Our local weather forecaster says that putting a small piece of cardboard in
the door when you close it will keep it from freezing. I haven't had a
chance to give it a try and since he wasn't good enough to give a demo on
how or where to put it I guess it would be trial and error to see if it
works. He did wave around a piece of cardboard, looked like something cut
from a cereal box about 5x7 in size.

"Jimw" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jimw" wrote in message

[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

bucket of hot water on door when froze.

try to keep the seal dry. i was told wax helps keep it from sticking.

a god place to ask this question is probably a alaska board. been
watching a show tougher in alaska, they must heat water supply tanks
and even sewer lines
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jimw" wrote

Slightly off topic

Not too bad actually, we range around here.

Anyone got any suggestions to keep car doors from freezing stuck.
Yes, I know a heated garage would help, but I dont have that.

I know the feeling. Not all of us have a garage much less a heated one.

Several fixes, depending on conditions there. Simple one for the seals, oil
with WD 40 or vaseline. Now if you get actual rain water down there
freezing, you need more.

The 'country redneck special' works til you can get real rain guards. This
is a bit of firm plastic around the top where water can leech in, over the
door from the roof. Sorry, it's not pretty and gets duct taped in, but you
get to work on time and in these days, you do not need to risk a job. I'd
rather look like a rednck, than lose my job ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 16:41:31 -0600, Jimw wrote:

Slightly off topic
Anyone got any suggestions to keep car doors from freezing stuck.

Vaseline.

Lightly lube to door gasket seal with a cloth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jimw wrote:

[...]

Silicone spray on the gaskets and on the metal frame where the gasket
makes contact when the door is closed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Silicone spray on the gaskets and on the metal frame where the gasket
makes contact when the door is closed.

I also use silicone spray on the door and the weather stripping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jimw" wrote in message
[...]

I have absolutely nothing to offer but sympathy. We've had one of those
hundred year winters here, and about 14" of snow so far. I don't know how
people cope with frozen car doors and all the other stuff. It is hard
enough around here just trying not to fall and bust yer keester.

Where in the heck is all this global warming stuff? If you see it, please
send it to Southern Utah.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

I once grabbed the wife's cooking spray from the kitchen and kept it in
an Olds,we once owened, it was the cheapest fix for that damn car. I
haven't ever had that problem with any other car.

Jr

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974Tryke

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 17:28:48 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

I have absolutely nothing to offer but sympathy. We've had one of those
hundred year winters here, and about 14" of snow so far. I don't know how
people cope with frozen car doors and all the other stuff. It is hard
enough around here just trying not to fall and bust yer keester.

Where in the heck is all this global warming stuff? If you see it, please
send it to Southern Utah.

Steve

"Global Warming Claims Two Aussie Tourists" *

Almost one in three of the 600,000 visitors to the region's two
glaciers ignored warning signs and entered danger zones in 2007, the
Department of Conservation said.

All the recent snow in Vegas damaged my pool solar heater frame.

*
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...5S08.DTL&tsp=1

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 15:03:17 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

bucket of hot water on door when froze.

try to keep the seal dry. i was told wax helps keep it from sticking.

a god place to ask this question is probably a alaska board. been

Up here, folks use moose fat on the door seals.

Or seal blubber.

It's important to catch the moose or seal and extract the fat
yourself.

watching a show tougher in alaska, they must heat water supply tanks
and even sewer lines

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in
:

"Jimw" wrote

Slightly off topic

Not too bad actually, we range around here.

Anyone got any suggestions to keep car doors from freezing stuck.
Yes, I know a heated garage would help, but I dont have that.

I know the feeling. Not all of us have a garage much less a heated
one.

Several fixes, depending on conditions there. Simple one for the
seals, oil with WD 40 or vaseline. Now if you get actual rain water
down there freezing, you need more.

The 'country redneck special' works til you can get real rain guards.
This is a bit of firm plastic around the top where water can leech in,
over the door from the roof. Sorry, it's not pretty and gets duct
taped in, but you get to work on time and in these days, you do not
need to risk a job. I'd rather look like a rednck, than lose my job
;-)

I sure would not use WD-40 for door seals.
It will turn gummy,and cause dirt to cling to the seals.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 9:28*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"Jimw" wrote in message

[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

Well something seems to be buggering up the weather. Been here for
last 52 years and winters seem to be (and confirmed by the federal
weather office) getting less severe all the time.

We used to get at least one major snowstorm before Christmas. Now here
we are, this year for example, with very little snow and heading for
mid January.

Most winters it has been worth using the studded tyres because
temperatures hover above and below freezing. Two days ago it was over
40 degrees Fahrenheit and we are located almost 48 degrees North!

It is also noticeable that many ski resorts have been complaining
about lack of snow and/or temperatures not sufficiently cold to 'make'
snow, quite frequently during at least the last ten years.

And while the snow clearing is way better these days than say 60 years
ago and the utility poles were shorter then, we do not get the snow
drifts that old-timers talked about and which caused parents then to
warn children not to touch or go near the power wires!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 9:29*pm, (Jerry - OHIO) wrote:
I once grabbed the wife's cooking spray from the kitchen and kept it in
an Olds,we once owened, it was the cheapest fix for that damn car. I
haven't ever had that problem with any other car.

Jr

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974Tryke

Also house doors. Twice had to go over and push in neighbours metal
front door which had frozen shut around its periphery to the door box.

Problem in part caused when homeowners do not have a storm door,
opening outwards, outside of the main door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jimw" wrote in message
[...]

Something more elegant and lasting is probably what's being looked
for...like the various lube replies. But if this approach were to be taken,
I'd use waxed paper. Cheap, disposable and not so frikkin' ugly and
obvious. How about searching the Car Talk site. They may have a forum, Q&A,
etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

put it in a garage.

OR

most of the time only one side gets it real bad. You can either 1. get in
the other side, or 2. turn the car around so the drivers side is away from
the wind and doesn't get icy as bad.

some silicone spray lube on the rubbers may help keep them from sticking.

"Jimw" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
put it in a garage.

OR

most of the time only one side gets it real bad. You can either 1. get in
the other side, or 2. turn the car around so the drivers side is away
from the wind and doesn't get icy as bad.

some silicone spray lube on the rubbers may help keep them from sticking.

A remote starter helps too. If you warm the car it may be enough to release.
If any precipitation is expected I set it to DEFROST and turn up the blower.
I do give the door gaskets a spray with silicone though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 22:37:37 -0600, "Steve Barker"
wrote:

put it in a garage.

OR

most of the time only one side gets it real bad. You can either 1. get in
the other side, or 2. turn the car around so the drivers side is away from
the wind and doesn't get icy as bad.

some silicone spray lube on the rubbers may help keep them from sticking.

"Jimw" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Propylene Glycol and glycerin mixedand wiped or sprayed on does the
trick The glycerin thickens it up and keeps it in place, as well as
lubricating the rubber.
Vaselene is NOT good for the seals - it will rot the rubber, as will
WD40.
Silicone is a real bugger if you need to do any paint work on the car
in the next ten years or so.

Glycerin and Propylene glycol are both rather innocuous and do not
harm the paint or the rubber.
Don't stain your clothes too badly either if you rub against the
rubber getting in or out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jimw" wrote in message
[...]

I haven't had the problem in years, but when I did, I always used
silicone spray. That crap they sell for making dashboards shiny would
likely also work. (I love having a garage and parking inside, after
20-some years out in the cold.) The rubber or vinyl compounds in modern
door gaskets seems to handle the problem much better- less UV
sensitivity, so the surface breaks down slower. I, too, miss the
old-style rain gutters on cars, which went a long way in keeping melted
snow from running into the door cracks.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 15:54:04 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 16:41:31 -0600, Jimw wrote:

Slightly off topic
Anyone got any suggestions to keep car doors from freezing stuck.

Vaseline.

Lightly lube to door gasket seal with a cloth.

Although I have not tried this, it makes sense. A thin layer of
Vaseline should stay put on the gaskets. Try to keep water off the
gaskets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 5:41*pm, Jimw wrote:
[...]

Rub a candle on the door frame. It will conform to the contours.
It's easier to control the application than using silicone spray, and
both wreak havoc with repainting, so it's good in the long term to put
the stuff only where you really need it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Spray it with Pam.

that sounds like fun..
Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've heard that silicone spray helps keep doors from
freezing shut.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

Did that help?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jerry - OHIO" wrote in message
I once grabbed the wife's cooking spray from the kitchen and
kept it in
an Olds,we once owened, it was the cheapest fix for that
damn car. I
haven't ever had that problem with any other car.

Jr

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974Tryke

Composite Doors UK: Stable Doors, UPVC French Doors, ConcertinaDoors, Fibreglass Doors Modern Composite Doors Woodworking 0 April 24th 08 08:52 AM
Is there a spray for Frozen Stuck things? [email protected] Home Repair 21 January 17th 08 03:00 AM
Frozen Doors? CathyLee Home Repair 12 January 23rd 06 05:01 AM
Sony WEGA 32" volume and channel stuck - frozen private person Electronics Repair 27 March 5th 04 12:05 AM