Posted to alt.home.repair
CathyLee

Default Frozen Doors?

We are getting alot of rain then freezing temperatures.

The doors on the house are sticking some and the doors and power windows in
the car are freezing shut.

Any ideas to ease the house doors, they are new this year and I don't want
to remove the weather stripping as someone suggested.
--
CathyLee
Nova Scotia

Posted to alt.home.repair

For the car they make this stuff you can spray into your lock. My
latch mechanism also froze up, this is the thing that you see on the
"edge" of the door when you open it. I hit that with WD40 and it's
fine now.

Nova Scotia, wow. How cold does it get there ? Are you influenced by
the maritime currents or is it just cold cold ?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

If you don't have one, get some type of overhang to keep the water off the
doors. For the car windows, don't try to use them when they are frozen. You
could burn out the motor.

"CathyLee" wrote in message
We are getting alot of rain then freezing temperatures.

The doors on the house are sticking some and the doors and power windows

in
the car are freezing shut.

Any ideas to ease the house doors, they are new this year and I don't want
to remove the weather stripping as someone suggested.
--
CathyLee
Nova Scotia
Zone 5a
They neigh I pay

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
For the car they make this stuff you can spray into your lock. My
latch mechanism also froze up, this is the thing that you see on the
"edge" of the door when you open it. I hit that with WD40 and it's
fine now.

How does that help when the weatherstripping is frozen to the door? A
better suggestion is to prevent the freezing by spraying the strip with
silicone before the rains and freezing come. In that type of weather, I
don't lock the doors, nor do I use the emergency brake. Then again, I never
lock the doors anyway as it prevents damage from amateur thieves.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

CathyLee wrote:
We are getting alot of rain then freezing temperatures.

The doors on the house are sticking some and the doors and power
windows in the car are freezing shut.

Any ideas to ease the house doors, they are new this year and I don't
want to remove the weather stripping as someone suggested.

Find a can of a spray dry silicone lube and use that. It will leave a
dry white powder that will keep the ice from sticking.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
CathyLee

It was Sunny and +8 (46F) yesterday we were playing in the sand box and -7
(19F) and windy today feels like -16C (3F) Shes forzen solid today:)

I use the autolocks on the car...or dont lock it at all

I need something to go on the rubber trim of the car doors, when it rains
they freeze solid.

CathyLee

wrote in message
ups.com...
For the car they make this stuff you can spray into your lock. My
latch mechanism also froze up, this is the thing that you see on the
"edge" of the door when you open it. I hit that with WD40 and it's
fine now.

Nova Scotia, wow. How cold does it get there ? Are you influenced by
the maritime currents or is it just cold cold ?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree:

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..
: wrote:
: For the car they make this stuff you can spray into your
lock.
: My
: latch mechanism also froze up, this is the thing that you see
on the
: "edge" of the door when you open it. I hit that with WD40
and it's
: fine now.
:
:
: I suggest that people be careful about what they spray into
a lock. Oil
: based products like WD-40 and some of the frozen lock products
(which also
: contain oil) will allow the lock to work better for a while,
only to cause
: it to gum up and fail later.
Umm, no, that's not true; WD40 actually evaporates away, even in
sub zero temperatures. It will also quickly displace any
moisture it comes in contact with and prevent further freezing if
it's used correctly. Until the moisture returns, that is.
There is nothing, nada, zip, that leaves a film of any kind,
that will NOT collect debris and "gum up" as you say. The best
working lock is one that is dry and hasn't been mistreated with
oils or salt water,etc, allowing rust etc. to form, or where car
washes have forced water into the lock, past the protective
cover.
:
: There are products designed for freeing up frozen locks and
don't
: contain any products what will cause problems later.
True. But they're only useful AFTER the lock is frozen, and if
you happen to have access to it in the parking lot where you
discover your frozen locks.
:
: WD-40 should never be used on a lock (at least the part of
the lock were
: you use the key. It can be used for other parts.
Wrong. It's excellent for displacing water where freezing
occurs, and keeping the locks workable. I've used it now for
about 40 years on any and every car I own/owned, as part of the
winter maintenance schedule on everything from hinges to my door
locks. The only real caveat with WD40 is that it's NOT really a
lubricant; it has poor lubricating properties. I suggest you
read the can if we're really discussing THE WD-40 formula
product.
Beofre someone says I never see whether it collects, gums up,
etc., yes, I do, because I also use it on hood and trunk latches,
door latches, etc. etc. etc., areas that do not require
lubrication as a rule. To lubridate such areas, I use silicone
or lithium lubricants, as appropriate.
In my experience it's more likely for the seals & rubbers to
collect moisture in the dust they collect and freeze something
shut than the door locks freeze. The only freezing I've never
been able to overcome cleanly is the windows freezing shut; some
of our roads are very, very dusty.
:
:
: Nova Scotia, wow. How cold does it get there ? Are you
influenced by
: the maritime currents or is it just cold cold ?
:
: --
: Joseph Meehan
:
: Dia duit
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

wrote in message
For the car they make this stuff you can spray into your lock. My
latch mechanism also froze up, this is the thing that you see on the
"edge" of the door when you open it. I hit that with WD40 and it's
fine now.

How does that help when the weatherstripping is frozen to the door?

Doors freeeze when moisture on both weatherstripping and door-frame
turn to ice. Oil repels moisture, thus reduces the amount of moisture
available to freeze doors shut. Food oils e.g. Pam work just as well.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

wrote in message
For the car they make this stuff you can spray into your lock. My
latch mechanism also froze up, this is the thing that you see on
the "edge" of the door when you open it. I hit that with WD40 and
it's fine now.

How does that help when the weatherstripping is frozen to the door?

Doors freeeze when moisture on both weatherstripping and door-frame
turn to ice. Oil repels moisture, thus reduces the amount of moisture
available to freeze doors shut. Food oils e.g. Pam work just as well.

Also a good product for that use.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

: wrote:
: For the car they make this stuff you can spray into your lock.
: My
: latch mechanism also froze up, this is the thing that you see on
: the "edge" of the door when you open it. I hit that with WD40 and
: it's fine now.
:
:
: I suggest that people be careful about what they spray into a
: lock. Oil based products like WD-40 and some of the frozen lock
: products (which also contain oil) will allow the lock to work better
: for a while, only to cause it to gum up and fail later.
Umm, no, that's not true; WD40 actually evaporates away, even in
sub zero temperatures.

The problem is not all of it will evaporate. There are enough heavier
oils in there that don't rapidly evaporate to cause problems in locks but
attracting dirt. I have seen plenty of locks "fixed" with that stuff to
know.

It will also quickly displace any
moisture it comes in contact with and prevent further freezing if
it's used correctly.

That part is true and is, of course what the "WD" stands for.

Until the moisture returns, that is.
There is nothing, nada, zip, that leaves a film of any kind,
that will NOT collect debris and "gum up" as you say. The best
working lock is one that is dry and hasn't been mistreated with
oils or salt water,etc, allowing rust etc. to form, or where car
washes have forced water into the lock, past the protective
cover.

True.

:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

CathyLee wrote:
We are getting alot of rain then freezing temperatures.

The doors on the house are sticking some and the doors and power windows in
the car are freezing shut.

Any ideas to ease the house doors, they are new this year and I don't want
to remove the weather stripping as someone suggested.

You can't stop it completely. First, clean the
weather stripping, car and house, with a mild
detergent, dry thorougly, and then apply some type
of slick-em. You can reduce the problem by just
wiping the weatherstrip dry and applying Armor-all
or other slick-em, but to be really effective you
need to clean the weatherstrip.

I use Armor-All on the rubber strips on the
bottoms of my house doors and magnetic weather
strips on the sides and top. Same with the car
weather stripping. I also use it on the weather
stripping of my vinyl windows. I usually make
only one application to the house each hear, and
more like 2 or 3 times a year for the autos. You
can use any silicone product that is ok on rubber
and plastic.
Posted to alt.home.repair
g.a.miller

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 13:16:13 GMT, "CathyLee"
wrote:

We are getting alot of rain then freezing temperatures.

The doors on the house are sticking some and the doors and power windows in
the car are freezing shut.

Any ideas to ease the house doors, they are new this year and I don't want
to remove the weather stripping as someone suggested.

CathyLee, Try some silicone spray or a light coating of vasoline that
should do the trick
best regards
anthony

at http://www.TitanNews.com

trimming masonite doors questions bent Woodworking 24 July 12th 16 11:44 PM
Chantecler Windows and Doors Brian White Home Repair 3 June 6th 16 11:22 PM
Kitchen Cabinet Refacing--beware Quality Doors from Texas! Rock Home Repair 3 September 1st 05 10:53 PM
mdf wardrobe doors gary watson UK diy 10 October 27th 04 04:04 PM
Stripped doors in Edinburg (experience; long) robin UK diy 0 September 1st 03 01:49 PM