Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Stuck frozen car doors

Red Green wrote:
"Mark" wrote in :

Our local weather forecaster says that putting a small piece of
cardboard in the door when you close it will keep it from freezing. I
haven't had a chance to give it a try and since he wasn't good enough
to give a demo on how or where to put it I guess it would be trial and
error to see if it works. He did wave around a piece of cardboard,
looked like something cut from a cereal box about 5x7 in size.

"Jimw" wrote in message
Slightly off topic
Anyone got any suggestions to keep car doors from freezing stuck.
Yes, I know a heated garage would help, but I dont have that.
I'm looking for something to put on the door gaskets that will
prevent them from freezing to the door frame. One was so badly stuck
that the gasket came off part of the door, and I had to re-glue it.
I've been late for work 4 times in the past month because of this,
and my boss is not happy about it. It's a pickup truck, if both
doors are frozen, there is nothing I can do except get a hair dryer
and begin unthawing it, which is the last thing I want to do on a
cold winter morning. I had this problem on other vehicles in the
past, but for soem reason this pickup is worse than others. Probably
because it dont have those small roof "gutters" like most other
vehicles I have owned. (poor design).

thanks for replies

Jim

Something more elegant and lasting is probably what's being looked
for...like the various lube replies. But if this approach were to be taken,
I'd use waxed paper. Cheap, disposable and not so frikkin' ugly and
obvious. How about searching the Car Talk site. They may have a forum, Q&A,
etc.

I haven't had the problem in years, but when I did, I always used
silicone spray. That crap they sell for making dashboards shiny would
likely also work. (I love having a garage and parking inside, after
20-some years out in the cold.) The rubber or vinyl compounds in modern
door gaskets seems to handle the problem much better- less UV
sensitivity, so the surface breaks down slower. I, too, miss the
old-style rain gutters on cars, which went a long way in keeping melted
snow from running into the door cracks.

--
aem sends...