Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stuck frozen car doors

On Jan 10, 5:54�pm, "Mark" wrote:
Our local weather forecaster says that putting a small piece of cardboard in
the door when you close it will keep it from freezing. �I haven't had a
chance to give it a try and since he wasn't good enough to give a demo on
how or where to put it I guess it would be trial and error to see if it
works. �He did wave around a piece of cardboard, looked like something cut
from a cereal box about 5x7 in size.

"Jimw" wrote in message

Slightly off topic
Anyone got any suggestions to keep car doors from freezing stuck.
Yes, I know a heated garage would help, but I dont have that.
I'm looking for something to put on the door gaskets that will prevent
them from freezing to the door frame. �One was so badly stuck that the
gasket came off part of the door, and I had to re-glue it. �I've been
late for work 4 times in the past month because of this, and my boss
is not happy about it. �It's a pickup truck, if both doors are frozen,
there is nothing I can do except get a hair dryer and begin unthawing
it, which is the last thing I want to do on a cold winter morning.
I had this problem on other vehicles in the past, but for soem reason
this pickup is worse than others. �Probably because it dont have those
small roof "gutters" like most other vehicles I have owned. (poor
design).

thanks for replies

Jim- Hide quoted text -

bucket of hot water on door when froze.

try to keep the seal dry. i was told wax helps keep it from sticking.

a god place to ask this question is probably a alaska board. been
watching a show tougher in alaska, they must heat water supply tanks
and even sewer lines