Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark[_8_] Mark[_8_] is offline

Default Stuck frozen car doors

Our local weather forecaster says that putting a small piece of cardboard in
the door when you close it will keep it from freezing. I haven't had a
chance to give it a try and since he wasn't good enough to give a demo on
how or where to put it I guess it would be trial and error to see if it
works. He did wave around a piece of cardboard, looked like something cut
from a cereal box about 5x7 in size.

"Jimw" wrote in message
Slightly off topic
Anyone got any suggestions to keep car doors from freezing stuck.
Yes, I know a heated garage would help, but I dont have that.
I'm looking for something to put on the door gaskets that will prevent
them from freezing to the door frame. One was so badly stuck that the
gasket came off part of the door, and I had to re-glue it. I've been
late for work 4 times in the past month because of this, and my boss
is not happy about it. It's a pickup truck, if both doors are frozen,
there is nothing I can do except get a hair dryer and begin unthawing
it, which is the last thing I want to do on a cold winter morning.
I had this problem on other vehicles in the past, but for soem reason
this pickup is worse than others. Probably because it dont have those
small roof "gutters" like most other vehicles I have owned. (poor
design).

thanks for replies

Jim