Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Stable is STA-BIL??

I got this container of STA-BIL, maybe 6 years old, in a 4 oz can like the
old lighter fluid cans (with a squirt spout). Sez 4 oz treats 5 gal's of
gas. Maybe 3 oz left. Can looks fine, no rust or anything.

I squirted a bit into a glass container. Yellow in color, no evident
contamination.

The instructions say to discard after a bit. Most of the instructions
on most of the stuff in this world are subject to the "Squirrelly BS"
consideration. :-)

I don't necessarily trust this stuff, but ...

Would you use it for small 4-stroke motors, 3-4 mos. winter storage?

Cheers,
Puddin'

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!"
- Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc
Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote:

I got this container of STA-BIL, maybe 6 years old, in a 4 oz can like the
old lighter fluid cans (with a squirt spout). Sez 4 oz treats 5 gal's of
gas. Maybe 3 oz left. Can looks fine, no rust or anything.

I squirted a bit into a glass container. Yellow in color, no evident
contamination.

The instructions say to discard after a bit. Most of the instructions
on most of the stuff in this world are subject to the "Squirrelly BS"
consideration. :-)

I don't necessarily trust this stuff, but ...

Would you use it for small 4-stroke motors, 3-4 mos. winter storage?

I wouldn't use it.

http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/faq...t=sta-bil&ID=9

"What is the shelf life of STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer?

"2 years after the bottle has been opened, provided it has been tightly
capped and stored in a cool, dry place."
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know which brand I've been using but since I use the stuff for
the 2 gallon tank of a push mower I don't use much of it so I've
probably had the same can at least 5 or 6 years. It's stored in my
garage which maybe gets a little below freezing in the winter and
perhaps 80 on a very hot summer day.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)
"Business School... in About an Hour?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 14, 7:57*pm, Puddin' Man wrote:
I got this container of STA-BIL, maybe 6 years old, in a 4 oz can like the
old lighter fluid cans (with a squirt spout). Sez 4 oz treats 5 gal's of
gas. Maybe 3 oz left. Can looks fine, no rust or anything.

I squirted a bit into a glass container. Yellow in color, no evident
contamination.

The instructions say to discard after a bit. Most of the instructions
on most of the stuff in this world are subject to the "Squirrelly BS"
consideration. :-)

I don't necessarily trust this stuff, but ...

Would you use it for small 4-stroke motors, 3-4 mos. winter storage?

* Cheers,
* Puddin'

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!"
* *- Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc

probably 1oz evaporated. It may work but not as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 14, 10:49�pm, ransley wrote:
On Dec 14, 7:57�pm, Puddin' Man wrote:

I got this container of STA-BIL, maybe 6 years old, in a 4 oz can like the
old lighter fluid cans (with a squirt spout). Sez 4 oz treats 5 gal's of
gas. Maybe 3 oz left. Can looks fine, no rust or anything.

I squirted a bit into a glass container. Yellow in color, no evident
contamination.

The instructions say to discard after a bit. Most of the instructions
on most of the stuff in this world are subject to the "Squirrelly BS"
consideration. :-)

I don't necessarily trust this stuff, but ...

Would you use it for small 4-stroke motors, 3-4 mos. winter storage?

� Cheers,
� Puddin'

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!"
� �- Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc

probably 1oz evaporated. It may work but not as well.- Hide quoted text -

theres a issue of gasoline with ethanol not being compatible , I would
call the manufacturer and ask

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 19:57:33 -0600, Puddin' Man
wrote:

I got this container of STA-BIL, maybe 6 years old, in a 4 oz can like the
old lighter fluid cans (with a squirt spout). Sez 4 oz treats 5 gal's of
gas. Maybe 3 oz left. Can looks fine, no rust or anything.

I squirted a bit into a glass container. Yellow in color, no evident
contamination.

The instructions say to discard after a bit. Most of the instructions
on most of the stuff in this world are subject to the "Squirrelly BS"
consideration. :-)

I don't necessarily trust this stuff, but ...

Would you use it for small 4-stroke motors, 3-4 mos. winter storage?

It's the color of automatic transmission fluid (bright red) when it's
new. I doubt it would hurt anything, but it might have lost it's
effectiveness. It's certainly not the right color.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 20:41:28 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

The only issue with ethanol is that NO product will prevent water form
eventual seperation. There is no "compatibility" problem. It just
won't prevent that from happening. The newer formulations brag about
being made specifically for E-10 fuel, but it amounts to better/more
corrosion inhibitors, not change for some "incompatibility".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 14, 10:41*pm, " wrote:
[...]

call the manufacturer and ask- Hide quoted text -

What? Ethanol is 10% gas, it has been for 20+ years and thats all
thats sold here, Alcohol has only good effects on gasolene, it removes
water and raises octane, maybe you meant something else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 6:44*am, ransley wrote:
On Dec 14, 10:41*pm, " wrote:

[...]

water and raises octane, maybe you meant something else.- Hide quoted text -

I meant Ethanol is 10% alcohol. E85 is totaly different, 85% alcohol
and not a product worth what it costs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Puddin' Man wrote:
I got this container of STA-BIL, maybe 6 years old, ...

I don't necessarily trust this stuff, but ...

Would you use it for small 4-stroke motors, 3-4 mos. winter storage?

Hardly worth the bother imo. For that short a time period unless it's
in a hot location (which wouldn't seem likely for winter storage ),
the loss of volatility in gasoline wouldn't be sufficient to matter much
if the container is tightly closed.

In my 60+ years I've never had an issue w/ any engine over the winter
simply closing the fuel line and running them dry so carb doesn't sit
full and leaving tank as is. Spring use a little fresh to refill carb
and they're fine.

As others said, highly unlikely it would hurt anything, probably would
have some effect but it really isn't of much need ime certainly for less
than 6-months.

Posted to alt.home.repair

All this over a $6 bottle of fuel stabilizer...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Dec 14, 8:57 pm, Puddin' Man wrote:

All this over a $6 bottle of fuel stabilizer...

Just about as bad as the discussion on a couple of dollars of old glue.
When protecting a big item or doing a big project I would not want to use
stuff over a year old that may or may not work as expected.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ive got some quarts of stabil that are yellow in color.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
ive got some quarts of stabil that are yellow in color.

Were they once red? Long, long ago?

Posted to alt.home.repair

when we buy quarts or gallons of stabil its yellow , not red like in
stores.

most stable circular saw rip fence Dennis Home Repair 6 September 4th 07 04:07 PM
Toy Horse Stable RSC Woodworking 0 July 22nd 07 12:16 AM
Stable-style back doors...? Andy Hall UK diy 9 June 21st 07 12:40 PM
Stable Plans The Novice UK diy 2 May 30th 05 06:53 PM
Hard, stable, not too expensive wood? David Ford Woodworking 9 April 11th 05 04:15 AM