Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stable-style back doors...?

On 2007-06-19 20:07:23 +0100, Mike D said:

I want to replace the back door of my flat, prior to selling. I'm
thinking of using one of those hardwood stable-style doors where the
top and bottom halves open independently. The one I am interested in
has glass panes in the top half. I surmise that one of these doors
might be useful for someone who wants to keep the tots in and the
local cats out, while allowing fresh air in while working in the
kitchen on a warm day.

It might do two of those things. It won't keep cats out - too low.
They can comfortably jump onto a 1.8m high fence.

Are these doors generally considered desirable? Do they have any
disadvantages? I suspect they may be eaiser for a burglar to break in
through...

Maybe. I'm not sure.

However, for the purposes of a sale, you may find that some people like
them and others hate them. Therefore it may be better to go for
something of good quality but boringly conventional.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sam Sam is offline

"Mike D" wrote in message

I want to replace the back door of my flat, prior to selling. I'm
thinking of using one of those hardwood stable-style doors where the
top and bottom halves open independently. The one I am interested in
has glass panes in the top half. I surmise that one of these doors
might be useful for someone who wants to keep the tots in and the
local cats out, while allowing fresh air in while working in the
kitchen on a warm day.

Are these doors generally considered desirable? Do they have any
disadvantages? I suspect they may be eaiser for a burglar to break in
through...

Thanks,

Mike D

God knows who would want such a door. Cats will simply jump over.
The easiest solution is a child gate or one of the nice looking metal type
doors you can lock. Make sure the gaps between the bars are not too wide or
animals will wander in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
R R is offline

"Sam" wrote in message

"Mike D" wrote in message

[...]

God doesn't have any doors.

The OP required information on whether the doors are desirable, That's a
personal opinion based on their requirements.

Having had a "Stable" type door I can confirm that they are useful for
ventilation, handy for passing stuff over the top of from person outside to
person inside when children are around, so preventing their escape, and are
as secure as the lock fitted. The locks at the time were a 5 lever mortice
on bottom half, a Yale Nightlatch on the top half and a deadbolt between the
two. Worked fine.

As the OP is preparing to sell the property why replace at all unless it is
a selling point and an advantage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R wrote:
"Sam" wrote in message
"Mike D" wrote in message
[...]

How do you know that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Jun, 07:33, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
R wrote:
"Sam" wrote in message
"Mike D" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Anyway, nobody asked whether God had any doors (though as he owns the
whole earth and much besides, he must own a whole lot of them!!) but
stated that he knew who would want such a door (a minority of people I
suspect as you don't see many of them about (unless there are a great
deal of frustrated would be stable door owners who just aren't making
themselves heard, or don't have the financial clout to satisfy their
hearts desire)..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 07:07:06 +0100, "R" wrote:

As the OP is preparing to sell the property why replace at all unless it is
a selling point and an advantage.

Because the existing door is poor quality. It looks bad - and the door
is almost the first thing the viewer sees when approaching the flat.

I think I might just save money and work, buy a normal hardwood door.

Thanks for the responses.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 15:58:42 +0100, Mike D wrote:

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 07:07:06 +0100, "R" wrote:

As the OP is preparing to sell the property why replace at all unless it is
a selling point and an advantage.

Because the existing door is poor quality. It looks bad - and the door
is almost the first thing the viewer sees when approaching the flat.

I thought it was a back door?

I have one that I put in a couple of years ago. Lookswise, isn't much
different from a standard door, just an extra line across the middle from
the outside. The extra ventilation has been useful in summer, often leave
the top half open to get a good through draft. Definitely won't keep cats
out, I have a picture of my cat perched on the top of the lower half.
I'm trying to sell my house at the moment. No negative comments from
viewers, if anyone has commented it has been along the lines of "Oh that's
useful"
Also had the advantage when buying it that it fit in the back of fiesta :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 19:05:10 +0100, John Armstrong
wrote:

Because the existing door is poor quality. It looks bad - and the door
is almost the first thing the viewer sees when approaching the flat.

I thought it was a back door?

Sorry to confuse. It is the front door of the flat, which used to be
the back door of the house before it was converted to flats.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have one that I put in a couple of years ago. Lookswise, isn't much
different from a standard door, just an extra line across the middle from
the outside. The extra ventilation has been useful in summer, often leave
the top half open to get a good through draft. Definitely won't keep cats
out, I have a picture of my cat perched on the top of the lower half.
I'm trying to sell my house at the moment. No negative comments from
viewers, if anyone has commented it has been along the lines of "Oh that's
useful"

Thanks for that. This is the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

It had concerned me that people might feel like they were being asked
to live in a souped-up stable - which might damage their ego!

Also had the advantage when buying it that it fit in the back of fiesta :-)

Yes - that had occurred to me too! (I also drive a small car.)

Mike