DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How Stable is STA-BIL?? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/266845-how-stable-sta-bil.html)

Puddin' Man December 15th 08 01:57 AM

How Stable is STA-BIL??

I got this container of STA-BIL, maybe 6 years old, in a 4 oz can like the
old lighter fluid cans (with a squirt spout). Sez 4 oz treats 5 gal's of
gas. Maybe 3 oz left. Can looks fine, no rust or anything.

I squirted a bit into a glass container. Yellow in color, no evident
contamination.

The instructions say to discard after a bit. Most of the instructions
on most of the stuff in this world are subject to the "Squirrelly BS"
consideration. :-)

I don't necessarily trust this stuff, but ...

Would you use it for small 4-stroke motors, 3-4 mos. winter storage?

Cheers,
Puddin'

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!"
- Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc

Erma1ina December 15th 08 02:13 AM

How Stable is STA-BIL??

Puddin' Man wrote:

I got this container of STA-BIL, maybe 6 years old, in a 4 oz can like the
old lighter fluid cans (with a squirt spout). Sez 4 oz treats 5 gal's of
gas. Maybe 3 oz left. Can looks fine, no rust or anything.

I squirted a bit into a glass container. Yellow in color, no evident
contamination.

The instructions say to discard after a bit. Most of the instructions
on most of the stuff in this world are subject to the "Squirrelly BS"
consideration. :-)

I don't necessarily trust this stuff, but ...

Would you use it for small 4-stroke motors, 3-4 mos. winter storage?

I wouldn't use it.

http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/faq...t=sta-bil&ID=9

"What is the shelf life of STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer?

"2 years after the bottle has been opened, provided it has been tightly
capped and stored in a cool, dry place."

Shaun Eli December 15th 08 03:08 AM

How Stable is STA-BIL??

I don't know which brand I've been using but since I use the stuff for
the 2 gallon tank of a push mower I don't use much of it so I've
probably had the same can at least 5 or 6 years. It's stored in my
garage which maybe gets a little below freezing in the winter and
perhaps 80 on a very hot summer day.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)
"Business School... in About an Hour?"

ransley December 15th 08 03:49 AM

How Stable is STA-BIL??

On Dec 14, 7:57*pm, Puddin' Man wrote:
I got this container of STA-BIL, maybe 6 years old, in a 4 oz can like the
old lighter fluid cans (with a squirt spout). Sez 4 oz treats 5 gal's of
gas. Maybe 3 oz left. Can looks fine, no rust or anything.

I squirted a bit into a glass container. Yellow in color, no evident
contamination.

The instructions say to discard after a bit. Most of the instructions
on most of the stuff in this world are subject to the "Squirrelly BS"
consideration. :-)

I don't necessarily trust this stuff, but ...

Would you use it for small 4-stroke motors, 3-4 mos. winter storage?

* Cheers,
* Puddin'

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!"
* *- Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc

probably 1oz evaporated. It may work but not as well.

[email protected] December 15th 08 04:41 AM

How Stable is STA-BIL??

On Dec 14, 10:49�pm, ransley wrote:
On Dec 14, 7:57�pm, Puddin' Man wrote:

I got this container of STA-BIL, maybe 6 years old, in a 4 oz can like the
old lighter fluid cans (with a squirt spout). Sez 4 oz treats 5 gal's of
gas. Maybe 3 oz left. Can looks fine, no rust or anything.

I squirted a bit into a glass container. Yellow in color, no evident
contamination.

The instructions say to discard after a bit. Most of the instructions
on most of the stuff in this world are subject to the "Squirrelly BS"
consideration. :-)

I don't necessarily trust this stuff, but ...

Would you use it for small 4-stroke motors, 3-4 mos. winter storage?

� Cheers,
� Puddin'

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!"
� �- Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc

probably 1oz evaporated. It may work but not as well.- Hide quoted text -

theres a issue of gasoline with ethanol not being compatible , I would
call the manufacturer and ask

[email protected] December 15th 08 11:33 AM

How Stable is STA-BIL??

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 19:57:33 -0600, Puddin' Man
wrote:

I got this container of STA-BIL, maybe 6 years old, in a 4 oz can like the
old lighter fluid cans (with a squirt spout). Sez 4 oz treats 5 gal's of
gas. Maybe 3 oz left. Can looks fine, no rust or anything.

I squirted a bit into a glass container. Yellow in color, no evident
contamination.

The instructions say to discard after a bit. Most of the instructions
on most of the stuff in this world are subject to the "Squirrelly BS"
consideration. :-)

I don't necessarily trust this stuff, but ...

Would you use it for small 4-stroke motors, 3-4 mos. winter storage?

It's the color of automatic transmission fluid (bright red) when it's
new. I doubt it would hurt anything, but it might have lost it's
effectiveness. It's certainly not the right color.

[email protected] December 15th 08 11:44 AM

How Stable is STA-BIL??

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 20:41:28 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

The only issue with ethanol is that NO product will prevent water form
eventual seperation. There is no "compatibility" problem. It just
won't prevent that from happening. The newer formulations brag about
being made specifically for E-10 fuel, but it amounts to better/more
corrosion inhibitors, not change for some "incompatibility".

ransley December 15th 08 12:44 PM

How Stable is STA-BIL??

On Dec 14, 10:41*pm, " wrote:
[...]

call the manufacturer and ask- Hide quoted text -

What? Ethanol is 10% gas, it has been for 20+ years and thats all
thats sold here, Alcohol has only good effects on gasolene, it removes
water and raises octane, maybe you meant something else.

ransley December 15th 08 12:47 PM

How Stable is STA-BIL??

On Dec 15, 6:44*am, ransley wrote:
On Dec 14, 10:41*pm, " wrote:

[...]

water and raises octane, maybe you meant something else.- Hide quoted text -

I meant Ethanol is 10% alcohol. E85 is totaly different, 85% alcohol
and not a product worth what it costs.

Puddin' Man December 15th 08 07:04 PM

How Stable is STA-BIL??

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 06:33:17 -0500, wrote:

It's the color of automatic transmission fluid (bright red) when it's
new. I doubt it would hurt anything, but it might have lost it's
effectiveness. It's certainly not the right color.

I'm aware that the new STA-BIL on the store shelf is red. But it
has a different mix ratio, so I assume it's a different
formulation.

Anybody know what color it was on the shelf 6-8 years ago?

James Sweet[_2_] December 15th 08 07:13 PM

How Stable is STA-BIL??

Puddin' Man wrote:
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 06:33:17 -0500, wrote:

It's the color of automatic transmission fluid (bright red) when it's
new. I doubt it would hurt anything, but it might have lost it's
effectiveness. It's certainly not the right color.

I'm aware that the new STA-BIL on the store shelf is red. But it
has a different mix ratio, so I assume it's a different
formulation.

Anybody know what color it was on the shelf 6-8 years ago?

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!"
- Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc

If in doubt, throw it out. Why risk having to throw out some gasoline or
disassemble and clean a carburetor? I hate to throw away something
useful, but this is like holding onto expired food or medicine, if it's
not moldy or stinky it probably won't hurt you, but why chance it?

dpb December 15th 08 07:19 PM

How Stable is STA-BIL??

Puddin' Man wrote:
I got this container of STA-BIL, maybe 6 years old, ...

I don't necessarily trust this stuff, but ...

Would you use it for small 4-stroke motors, 3-4 mos. winter storage?

Hardly worth the bother imo. For that short a time period unless it's
in a hot location (which wouldn't seem likely for winter storage :) ),
the loss of volatility in gasoline wouldn't be sufficient to matter much
if the container is tightly closed.

In my 60+ years I've never had an issue w/ any engine over the winter
simply closing the fuel line and running them dry so carb doesn't sit
full and leaving tank as is. Spring use a little fresh to refill carb
and they're fine.

As others said, highly unlikely it would hurt anything, probably would
have some effect but it really isn't of much need ime certainly for less
than 6-months.

[email protected] December 17th 08 05:53 PM

How Stable is STA-BIL??

All this over a $6 bottle of fuel stabilizer...

Ralph Mowery December 17th 08 06:02 PM

How Stable is STA-BIL??

wrote in message
On Dec 14, 8:57 pm, Puddin' Man wrote:

All this over a $6 bottle of fuel stabilizer...

Just about as bad as the discussion on a couple of dollars of old glue.
When protecting a big item or doing a big project I would not want to use
stuff over a year old that may or may not work as expected.

[email protected] December 17th 08 07:04 PM

How Stable is STA-BIL??

ive got some quarts of stabil that are yellow in color.

HeyBub[_3_] December 17th 08 07:48 PM

How Stable is STA-BIL??

wrote:
ive got some quarts of stabil that are yellow in color.

Were they once red? Long, long ago?

[email protected] December 20th 08 07:03 PM

How Stable is STA-BIL??

when we buy quarts or gallons of stabil its yellow , not red like in
stores.

Mark Lloyd December 22nd 08 07:06 PM

How Stable is STA-BIL??

wrote:

I got this container of STA-BIL, maybe 6 years old, in a 4 oz can like the
old lighter fluid cans (with a squirt spout). Sez 4 oz treats 5 gal's of
gas. Maybe 3 oz left. Can looks fine, no rust or anything.

I squirted a bit into a glass container. Yellow in color, no evident
contamination.

The instructions say to discard after a bit. Most of the instructions
on most of the stuff in this world are subject to the "Squirrelly BS"
consideration. :-)

I don't necessarily trust this stuff, but ...

Would you use it for small 4-stroke motors, 3-4 mos. winter storage?

It's the color of automatic transmission fluid (bright red) when it's
new. I doubt it would hurt anything, but it might have lost it's
effectiveness. It's certainly not the right color.

The new STA-BIL I just got (small container) was red. The old stuff
was reddish orange.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."