Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Well Water Pressure higher then 60PSI?

So I have a Pump that can produce more then the typical 60PSI @
30GPM. I'm drawing from a 5000 gallon tank.

When looking for a Pressure tank I only see ones that have a 40/60 PSI
range on them. Though the Operating Pressure is like 110PSI. What
is that all about? Can I use my Well-X Troll Pressure tank and a
higher pressure?

Thanks,
Scott-
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
So I have a Pump that can produce more then the typical 60PSI @
30GPM. I'm drawing from a 5000 gallon tank.

When looking for a Pressure tank I only see ones that have a 40/60
PSI
range on them. Though the Operating Pressure is like 110PSI. What
is that all about? Can I use my Well-X Troll Pressure tank and a
higher pressure?

Thanks,
Scott-

The only thing I can tell you about that is our experience out at the
farm. We ran a pvc pipe line out to one of the barns and cranked it
up. Don't remember how much the pressure was but it pipe off where the
line came from the tank and turned down into the ground. I don't know
if it just wasn't glued enough or what, but after I fixed it, I cut
the pressure down to a bit under 60 and have not had a problem since.
We have an irrigation system on one of the pastures and I have no idea
what that pumps. It's computer controlled and I guess it self
regulates. I don't think I'd run a whole house system at 110.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 11:23*pm, wrote:
So I have a Pump that can produce more then the typical 60PSI @
30GPM. *I'm drawing from a 5000 gallon tank.

When looking for a Pressure tank I only see ones that have a 40/60 PSI
range on them. * Though the Operating Pressure is like 110PSI. *What
is that all about? * *Can I use my Well-X Troll Pressure tank and a
higher pressure?

Thanks,
* Scott-

High pressure is hard on everything, 50 should be enough to live with.
I would not want 110lb pressure and a 30gpm leak when I wasnt home, or
at home. 43000 gpd will fill a pool-basement quickly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 6:54*am, Chuck wrote:
Claude Hopper wrote:
wrote:
So I have a Pump that can produce more then the typical 60PSI @
30GPM. *I'm drawing from a 5000 gallon tank.

When looking for a Pressure tank I only see ones that have a 40/60 PSI
range on them. * Though the Operating Pressure is like 110PSI. *What
is that all about? * *Can I use my Well-X Troll Pressure tank and a
higher pressure?

Thanks,
* Scott-

My well tank is rated at 150 lbs though my pump cuts off at 50.

I have a slightly different problem. I recently converted from well water to
county water. The county pressure is very high and I need to cut it back to
around 60 psi. I don't have a pressure gauge in line so I can't see what the
pressure is now. How can I cut the pressure to about what I used to have with
the pump?
Do I need to just close down the valve where the water comes into the house or
do I go to the meter by the street and close it down there? Or do I call the
water company and have them adjust it? Thanks

You need to install a PRV (Pressure Reducing Valve) where the line
enters the house...or where it enters the property if it branches off
to different place. Can't give an estimate on cost but it is a simple
thing and shouldn't be a bank breaker.

Closing down a valve will not do it. It might reduce the dynamic
(while in use) pressure but the static (no water draw) pressure will
build back up to the original.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 9:23*pm, wrote:
So I have a Pump that can produce more then the typical 60PSI @
30GPM. *I'm drawing from a 5000 gallon tank.

When looking for a Pressure tank I only see ones that have a 40/60 PSI
range on them. * Though the Operating Pressure is like 110PSI. *What
is that all about? * *Can I use my Well-X Troll Pressure tank and a
higher pressure?

Thanks,
* Scott-

Not really enough information. Why do you want that high of
pressure?

Pressures over 60psi is not recommended for residential use. Makes
for excessive strain/wear on fixtures and gives no real benefit. If
the pressure tank were much lower than the residence, then you might
need to have a higher pressure there than at the house. You lose .43
psi per foot elevation difference.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
On Dec 9, 6:54 am, Chuck wrote:
Claude Hopper wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Thanks Harry. I will look into it today.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 7:36*am, Harry K wrote:
On Dec 9, 6:54*am, Chuck wrote:

Claude Hopper wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

I think I paid around $30 for one a few years back. Home Depot
perhaps. Personally I'd call the water company first and see what
they say.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 9:56*am, wrote:
On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 08:56:38 -0500, George
wrote:

You didn't mention what the application is but 40/60 PSI is a good
working pressure for a home. You get good performance and the various
valves etc don't get destroyed nearly as quickly as they would at higher
pressures.

The only problem with that is plumbing fixtures are rated at 80 PSI.
Your "3 GPM" shower will just dribble when that tank is coming down to
40 to trip the switch.

Hmmm... I'm not sure what you mean about dribbling. I completely
bypassed my booster pump and pressure tank (set for about 45/60) and
put a tank on my hill. I get around 40 psi and that's just fine and
dandy. Washer fills up quickly, plenty of pressure for showers and
hosing off cars, impulse sprinklers work just fine... No more of that
sudden increase in pressure when the booster kicks in.... For that
matter I was using a 55 gallon drum halfway up the hill for a while
and was only getting about 21 psi and that was enough for a decent
shower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You didn't mention what the application is but 40/60 PSI is a good
working pressure for a home. You get good performance and the various
valves etc don't get destroyed nearly as quickly as they would at higher
pressures.

The only problem with that is plumbing fixtures are rated at 80 PSI.
Your "3 GPM" shower will just dribble when that tank is coming down to
40 to trip the switch.

BS. If you are going to answer questions, at least make it something
you know about. 40psi will still be giving needle showers.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 5:06*pm, Ulysses wrote:
On Dec 9, 7:36*am, Harry K wrote:

On Dec 9, 6:54*am, Chuck wrote:

Claude Hopper wrote:
wrote:
[...]

they say.- Hide quoted text -

Good point! I have heard of places where the municipal system will
pay for one if it is needed.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Ulysses wrote:

Hmmm... I'm not sure what you mean about dribbling. I completely
bypassed my booster pump and pressure tank (set for about 45/60) and
put a tank on my hill. I get around 40 psi

That's some hill -- tank must be 90+ feet higher than the house to have that
much pressure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
On Dec 9, 5:06 pm, Ulysses wrote:
On Dec 9, 7:36 am, Harry K wrote:

On Dec 9, 6:54 am, Chuck wrote:
Claude Hopper wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the info. I will call the counthy water folks to start with and
go from there. Chuck

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
On Dec 9, 5:06 pm, Ulysses wrote:
On Dec 9, 7:36 am, Harry K wrote:

On Dec 9, 6:54 am, Chuck wrote:
Claude Hopper wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Its actually good design to have high system pressure and a regulator
near point of use. Our local water utility does exactly that with high
system pressure and a requirement that you install a regulator.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
Harry K wrote:
On Dec 9, 5:06 pm, Ulysses wrote:
On Dec 9, 7:36 am, Harry K wrote:

On Dec 9, 6:54 am, Chuck wrote:
Claude Hopper wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I took a look this morning and I seem to have a regulator installed in-line
where the pipe comes into the house. It looks to have some sort of an adjustment
on it. Is that supposed to limit the pressure? Also the end of the regulator
is plugged. Is that ok? If I remove the plug and adjust the regulator does that
cut down the pressure? I don't know why the plug is there. A plumber installed
all this, last year. Thanks for any addl. info... Chuck