Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Well Water Pressure higher then 60PSI?

On Dec 9, 5:06*pm, Ulysses wrote:
On Dec 9, 7:36*am, Harry K wrote:

On Dec 9, 6:54*am, Chuck wrote:

Claude Hopper wrote:
wrote:
So I have a Pump that can produce more then the typical 60PSI @
30GPM. *I'm drawing from a 5000 gallon tank.

When looking for a Pressure tank I only see ones that have a 40/60 PSI
range on them. * Though the Operating Pressure is like 110PSI. *What
is that all about? * *Can I use my Well-X Troll Pressure tank and a
higher pressure?

Thanks,
* Scott-

My well tank is rated at 150 lbs though my pump cuts off at 50.

I have a slightly different problem. I recently converted from well water to
county water. The county pressure is very high and I need to cut it back to
around 60 psi. I don't have a pressure gauge in line so I can't see what the
pressure is now. How can I cut the pressure to about what I used to have with
the pump?
Do I need to just close down the valve where the water comes into the house or
do I go to the meter by the street and close it down there? Or do I call the
water company and have them adjust it? Thanks

You need to install a PRV (Pressure Reducing Valve) where the line
enters the house...or where it enters the property if it branches off
to different place. *Can't give an estimate on cost but it is a simple
thing and shouldn't be a bank breaker.

Closing down a valve will not do it. *It might reduce the dynamic
(while in use) pressure but the static (no water draw) pressure will
build back up to the original.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

I think I paid around $30 for one a few years back. *Home Depot
perhaps. *Personally I'd call the water company first and see what
they say.- Hide quoted text -

Good point! I have heard of places where the municipal system will
pay for one if it is needed.

Harry K