Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Well Water Pressure higher then 60PSI?

Harry K wrote:
On Dec 9, 5:06 pm, Ulysses wrote:
On Dec 9, 7:36 am, Harry K wrote:

On Dec 9, 6:54 am, Chuck wrote:
Claude Hopper wrote:
wrote:
So I have a Pump that can produce more then the typical 60PSI @
30GPM. I'm drawing from a 5000 gallon tank.
When looking for a Pressure tank I only see ones that have a 40/60 PSI
range on them. Though the Operating Pressure is like 110PSI. What
is that all about? Can I use my Well-X Troll Pressure tank and a
higher pressure?
Thanks,
Scott-
My well tank is rated at 150 lbs though my pump cuts off at 50.
I have a slightly different problem. I recently converted from well water to
county water. The county pressure is very high and I need to cut it back to
around 60 psi. I don't have a pressure gauge in line so I can't see what the
pressure is now. How can I cut the pressure to about what I used to have with
the pump?
Do I need to just close down the valve where the water comes into the house or
do I go to the meter by the street and close it down there? Or do I call the
water company and have them adjust it? Thanks
You need to install a PRV (Pressure Reducing Valve) where the line
enters the house...or where it enters the property if it branches off
to different place. Can't give an estimate on cost but it is a simple
thing and shouldn't be a bank breaker.
Closing down a valve will not do it. It might reduce the dynamic
(while in use) pressure but the static (no water draw) pressure will
build back up to the original.
Harry K- Hide quoted text -

I think I paid around $30 for one a few years back. Home Depot
perhaps. Personally I'd call the water company first and see what
they say.- Hide quoted text -

Good point! I have heard of places where the municipal system will
pay for one if it is needed.

Harry K

Its actually good design to have high system pressure and a regulator
near point of use. Our local water utility does exactly that with high
system pressure and a requirement that you install a regulator.