Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Depot Warning

Went shopping at my local Home Depot the other day. Browsing through
the kitchen cabinet section I see one of the computers that the HD
people use to write your order. It has a big warning on the screen
from Mcafee Anti Virus Software that the system is infected with
spyware. Told one of the HD customer service reps about it, they
looked at me like I tried to have sexual relations with their dog.
Went out to the car to get my cell phone and take a picture and when I
came back the offending system was turned off. Just makes you wonder
how those computers are tied into the computers up front that take
your money when you buy something. Very scary!
Posted to alt.home.repair

HD Shopper wrote:
Went shopping at my local Home Depot the other day. Browsing through
the kitchen cabinet section I see one of the computers that the HD
people use to write your order. It has a big warning on the screen
from Mcafee Anti Virus Software that the system is infected with
spyware. Told one of the HD customer service reps about it, they
looked at me like I tried to have sexual relations with their dog.
Went out to the car to get my cell phone and take a picture and when I
came back the offending system was turned off. Just makes you wonder
how those computers are tied into the computers up front that take
your money when you buy something. Very scary!

Who you gonna believe?

HD or McCaffee..... don't tell me. Let me think...

Posted to alt.home.repair

You worry too much. You better go home and check the radon output of your
granite kitchen counters. Careful now don't stand too close to the microwave
oven it will make you sterile and give you breast cancer. You have a cell
phone? Hell don't hold it too close to your head you'll get brain cancer.

cm

HD Shopper wrote in message
Went shopping at my local Home Depot the other day. Browsing through
the kitchen cabinet section I see one of the computers that the HD
people use to write your order. It has a big warning on the screen
from Mcafee Anti Virus Software that the system is infected with
spyware. Told one of the HD customer service reps about it, they
looked at me like I tried to have sexual relations with their dog.
Went out to the car to get my cell phone and take a picture and when I
came back the offending system was turned off. Just makes you wonder
how those computers are tied into the computers up front that take
your money when you buy something. Very scary!

Posted to alt.home.repair

HD Shopper wrote:
Went shopping at my local Home Depot the other day. Browsing through
the kitchen cabinet section I see one of the computers that the HD
people use to write your order. It has a big warning on the screen
from Mcafee Anti Virus Software that the system is infected with
spyware. Told one of the HD customer service reps about it, they
looked at me like I tried to have sexual relations with their dog.
Went out to the car to get my cell phone and take a picture and when I
came back the offending system was turned off. Just makes you wonder
how those computers are tied into the computers up front that take
your money when you buy something. Very scary!

Got you beat...
Did you know the teller line at your local TD Banknorth has internet access?
they do and they surf with IE too..
makes me want to pull my accounts.
these are the same computers they are using for your accounts...

Clark...

--
Don't you have Google in your part of the world?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 8:57*am, HD Shopper wrote:
Went shopping at my local Home Depot the other day. Browsing through
the kitchen cabinet section I see one of the computers that the HD
people use to write your order. It has a big warning on the screen
from Mcafee Anti Virus Software that the system is infected with
spyware. Told one of the HD customer service reps about it, they
looked at me like I tried to have sexual relations with their dog.
Went out to the car to get my cell phone and take a picture and when I
came back the offending system was turned off. Just makes you wonder
how those computers are tied into the computers up front that take
your money when you buy something. Very scary!

Well, I also have had that same exact warning on my screen. IT'S A
SCAM. I'd be willing to bet a paycheck that the warning and scanning
of your computer by McAfee is all a scam just so you'll renew your
subscription. I bought their subscription when I first bought my PC
almost 1.5 years ago. When it ran out and I didn't renew their
subscription I got daily virus warnings, "do you want to resubscribe"
etc., etc., etc., etc., unending attempts to get me to subscribe
again.

I got so sick of their warnings (which is exactly what they intended
to do ) I re-subscribed for one year for $75.00. Just to get their
daily warnings off my screen!!!!

So I go through all that, McAfee rescans my computer and notices that
my firewall is no longer up to date. So I go to download the latest
and what do you know??? The upgrade is no longer available, in order
to get it, I have to spend another $67 to get this updated firewall. I
didn't pay it. I got so sick I just left the computer.

What you saw in Home Depot was just a daily fake, scam, annoyance, by
McAfee to get the user of that computer to spend money.

Did you notice that McAfee is one of the few things you CAN'T DELETE
from Windows?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 05:57:08 -0800, HD Shopper wrote:

Went shopping at my local Home Depot the other day. Browsing through
the kitchen cabinet section I see one of the computers that the HD
people use to write your order. It has a big warning on the screen
from Mcafee Anti Virus Software that the system is infected with
spyware. Told one of the HD customer service reps about it, they
looked at me like I tried to have sexual relations with their dog.
Went out to the car to get my cell phone and take a picture and when I
came back the offending system was turned off. Just makes you wonder
how those computers are tied into the computers up front that take
your money when you buy something. Very scary!

If your computer is connected to the Internet it has spyware. If it
doesn't, it will in less than 10 minutes (5 minutes if a teenager is
using it). Spyware is not paticularly scary, nor are viruses--make
sure you don't back up any files you don't care about and do a full
scan before you backup.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 08:02:29 -0800 (PST), smk17
wrote:

On Nov 25, 8:57Â*am, HD Shopper wrote:
[...]

Darn right you can - I do it all the time.

Running a computer "bareback" on the internet is totally foolhardy -
particularly when there are MANY GOOD FRR ANTIVRUS PROGRAMS available.

I use AVG Free. Lots of other good ones.

For spyware I use SuperAntiSpyware - also the free edition, on my home
computers.

I also use a spam filter (a pay subscription) from Cloudmark.

I would not compute on an internet connected computer without them.
PERIOD.

As for McAfee and Norton - no, I'll pass, thank-you. They are
effective, but invasive and overpriced.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 11:11:59 -0500, Phisherman
wrote:

[...]

Many virii ARE quite scary. You can totally screw up a system in no
time by opening the wrong e-mail attachment -

Spyware is less scary, but is one of the most common contributors to
identity theft. And it slows your system down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

smk17 wrote:
[...]

You can remove any of that nonsense. One way
is to use The PC Decrapifier.

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Google 'chemtrails' or 'tin foil hat'. then don't bother getting back to
us. just kill yourself.

wrote in message

Google : Trojan keelogger, and then get back to us, Mr. Security
Expert!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Did you notice that McAfee is one of the few things you CAN'T DELETE
from Windows?

You can delete it but it is a PITA. I had it for a few months on new
computer then subscribed to Comcast where it is free. When the old
copy expired, I had problem you described as old did not realize there
was new. Went on line with McAfee to find how to correct and had to
delete everything and start from scratch.

I put free Avast on wife's computer as it is far less a memory hog
than McAfee.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
[...]

Really? so a keylogger really isn't a problem?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 11:02*am, smk17 wrote:
[...]

Since you put that in all caps, I'm going to assume that you really
believe that.

I'll avoid all the possible things I could say and just say this:

Go he

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/U...val-Tool.shtml

or

DAGS remove mcafee

or

DAGS delete mcafee

or

DAGS uninstall mcafee

or...I could go on all day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Google : Trojan keelogger, and then get back to us, Mr. Security
Expert!

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it can't or
doesn't happen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 8:57*am, HD Shopper wrote:
Went shopping at my local Home Depot the other day. Browsing through
the kitchen cabinet section I see one of the computers that the HD
people use to write your order. It has a big warning on the screen
from Mcafee Anti Virus Software that the system is infected with
spyware. Told one of the HD customer service reps about it, they
looked at me like I tried to have sexual relations with their dog.
Went out to the car to get my cell phone and take a picture and when I
came back the offending system was turned off. Just makes you wonder
how those computers are tied into the computers up front that take
your money when you buy something. Very scary!

just pay cash goddamit
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 9:22*am, "Clark..." wrote:
HD Shopper wrote:
[...]

i pulled goddamn money from all my bank accounts about 6 months ago;
keep it in a safe at home

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 12:45*pm, wrote:
On Nov 25, 9:22*am, "Clark..." wrote:

HD Shopper wrote:
[...]

keep it in a safe at home- Hide quoted text -

Give me your address. I want to store some cash in your safe. Leave it
open. I'll be right over.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 12:47*pm, wrote:
On Nov 25, 11:02*am, smk17 wrote:

[...]

Lol, I guess I should have said that I am a 99.6% Mac user but I do
have that Windows machine in my home office as well. A lot of good
suggestions on how to get rid of McAfee, thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 25 Nov 2008 07:02:37a, cm told us...

You worry too much. You better go home and check the radon output of
your granite kitchen counters. Careful now don't stand too close to the
microwave oven it will make you sterile and give you breast cancer. You
have a cell phone? Hell don't hold it too close to your head you'll get
brain cancer.

cm

Too late. Their brain has already rotted through!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Tuesday, 11(XI)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
1dys 10hrs 26mins
Catchup: A hair ball...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 25 Nov 2008 09:54:29a, told us...

Darn right you can - I do it all the time.

As do I.

Running a computer "bareback" on the internet is totally foolhardy -
particularly when there are MANY GOOD FRR ANTIVRUS PROGRAMS available.

I use AVG Free. Lots of other good ones.

I used AVG Free for years before I moved and began using Cox as my ISP.
They provide McAfee at no cost.

For spyware I use SuperAntiSpyware - also the free edition, on my home
computers.

I use Spybot Search & Destroy, also free. How does that compare? I also
use Ad-Aware.

I also use a spam filter (a pay subscription) from Cloudmark.

I don’t seem to need any 3rd party spam filters. Between built in filters
that I tweak, and a comprehensive hosts file, I don’t have much of a
problem.

Date: Tuesday, 11(XI)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
1dys 10hrs 22mins
I'm sorry, I become inaudible when I am shy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Nov 25, 11:11*am, Phisherman wrote:
[...]

So, you have NO problem with keyloggers?

BTW, there is NO spyware on MY computer thanks to using common sense
and Webroot's Spy Sweeper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.247...
On Tue 25 Nov 2008 09:54:29a, told us...

Darn right you can - I do it all the time.

As do I.

Running a computer "bareback" on the internet is totally foolhardy -
particularly when there are MANY GOOD FRR ANTIVRUS PROGRAMS available.

I use AVG Free. Lots of other good ones.

I used AVG Free for years before I moved and began using Cox as my ISP.
They provide McAfee at no cost.

Comcast provides McAfee also. I use AVG free after a long list of McAfee
problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Nov 25, 3:43*pm, Wayne Boatwright
For spyware I use SuperAntiSpyware - also the free edition, on my home
computers.

I use Spybot Search & Destroy, also free. *How does that compare? *I also
use Ad-Aware.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...re-remover.htm

Also if you are running Windows XP you can get a free version of
Spyware Doctor that is even better than SAS.

http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/google_pack/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Noahbuddy wrote:

"Bob F" wrote in
:

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
. 185.247...

On Tue 25 Nov 2008 09:54:29a, told us...

Darn right you can - I do it all the time.

As do I.

Running a computer "bareback" on the internet is totally foolhardy -
particularly when there are MANY GOOD FRR ANTIVRUS PROGRAMS available.

I use AVG Free. Lots of other good ones.

I used AVG Free for years before I moved and began using Cox as my ISP.
They provide McAfee at no cost.

Comcast provides McAfee also. I use AVG free after a long list of McAfee
problems.

right! My sister had nothing but problems with McAfee.
I use NOD32.

Earthlink sends emails when they determine that an email message
contains a virus. Have gotten,
perhaps, five notices over time to the effect that an email from (email
addy) has ___ virus and that
they have quarantined it. Last notice was a few days ago and I couldn't
find any reference to the
virus by the name they gave. Earthlink quarantines the message for
three days, to give a chance for
the recipient to check it out but keeps it from downloading with good
mail. Odd.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"keelogger"? Would that be next to the kee grinder, by the tools area? I
think I found the kee to all of life's problems.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Google : Trojan keelogger, and then get back to us, Mr. Security
Expert!

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's more of problem than a keelogger, which hasn't yet been invented.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"George" wrote in message

Really? so a keylogger really isn't a problem?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HD Shopper" wrote in message
Went shopping at my local Home Depot the other day. Browsing through
the kitchen cabinet section I see one of the computers that the HD
people use to write your order. It has a big warning on the screen
from Mcafee Anti Virus Software that the system is infected with
spyware. Told one of the HD customer service reps about it, they
looked at me like I tried to have sexual relations with their dog.

snip

You're familiar with that look?

Never have sex with your dog. They'll never look at you the same.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HD Shopper wrote in message
Went shopping at my local Home Depot the other day. Browsing through
the kitchen cabinet section I see one of the computers that the HD
people use to write your order. It has a big warning on the screen
from Mcafee Anti Virus Software that the system is infected with
spyware. Told one of the HD customer service reps about it, they
looked at me like I tried to have sexual relations with their dog.
Went out to the car to get my cell phone and take a picture and when I
came back the offending system was turned off. Just makes you wonder
how those computers are tied into the computers up front that take
your money when you buy something. Very scary!

I always wondered why if microwaves make you sterile why they don't use
them for birth control.
(directions, stand in front of the microwave for 5 minutes before
sex)

--
Claude Hopper

? ? ¥

Tried it. Didn't work. The rash is almost gone, but gets aggravated by
humid conditions. Little Bubba turns two this week. He's doing pretty okay
with the special teacher.

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 20:43:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Tue 25 Nov 2008 09:54:29a, told us...

Darn right you can - I do it all the time.

As do I.

Running a computer "bareback" on the internet is totally foolhardy -
particularly when there are MANY GOOD FRR ANTIVRUS PROGRAMS available.

I use AVG Free. Lots of other good ones.

I used AVG Free for years before I moved and began using Cox as my ISP.
They provide McAfee at no cost.

For spyware I use SuperAntiSpyware - also the free edition, on my home
computers.

I use Spybot Search & Destroy, also free. How does that compare? I also
use Ad-Aware.

I find SuperAntiSpyware better overall but have used search and
destroy as a tool when I wasn't sure what I had. Ad-Aware is an OK
product but I find SuperAntiSpyware significantly more effective.

I also use a spam filter (a pay subscription) from Cloudmark.

I dont seem to need any 3rd party spam filters. Between built in filters
that I tweak, and a comprehensive hosts file, I dont have much of a
problem.

Unlike me, your email address is likely not on 20+ websites as
webmaster or technical contact, not to mention my own web sites.

It's been a slow day and I've got 350 spams since 11pm last (that's
about 22 hours) Cloudmark got every one of them.

I'm on Rogers for my one account,but on principal will not use the
Norton they provide. Ever since Peter sold the company to Symantec
their service has been terrible. I used to deal with Peter Norton
personally in the "good old days".

I would not compute on an internet connected computer without them.
PERIOD.

As for McAfee and Norton - no, I'll pass, thank-you. They are
effective, but invasive and overpriced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:04:24 -0800 (PST), Frank
wrote:

Did you notice that McAfee is one of the few things you CAN'T DELETE
from Windows?

You can delete it but it is a PITA. I had it for a few months on new
computer then subscribed to Comcast where it is free. When the old
copy expired, I had problem you described as old did not realize there
was new. Went on line with McAfee to find how to correct and had to
delete everything and start from scratch.

I put free Avast on wife's computer as it is far less a memory hog
than McAfee.

Avast is good too, but I don't lioke their "funky" interface.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 11:03:58 -0600, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:

you'd have to open the attachment. just opening an email can do no harm.

wrote in message
.. .

Many virii ARE quite scary. You can totally screw up a system in no
time by opening the wrong e-mail attachment -

Spyware is less scary, but is one of the most common contributors to
identity theft. And it slows your system down.

Assuming you have all your service packs up to date on Windows you
are correct. HOWEVER, on a straight XP install, even with SP1
installed, there are several hundred vulnerabilities, many of which
can be infiltrated WITHOUT opening an attachment.

Auto Update is your friend. I always set it up to automatically
download the updates and notify me so I control what and when it
updates - nothing quite like having the computer update itself and
reboot in the middle of a critical operation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 25 Nov 2008 02:20:29p, Bob F told us...

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.247...
On Tue 25 Nov 2008 09:54:29a, told us...

Darn right you can - I do it all the time.

As do I.

Running a computer "bareback" on the internet is totally foolhardy -
particularly when there are MANY GOOD FRR ANTIVRUS PROGRAMS available.

I use AVG Free. Lots of other good ones.

I used AVG Free for years before I moved and began using Cox as my ISP.
They provide McAfee at no cost.

Comcast provides McAfee also. I use AVG free after a long list of McAfee
problems.

I’ve never had a problem with McAfee since I switched, which was about two
years ago.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Tuesday, 11(XI)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
1dys 3hrs 3mins
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've
never tried before. --Mae West
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 25 Nov 2008 02:23:31p, Ron told us...

On Nov 25, 3:43*pm, Wayne Boatwright
For spyware I use SuperAntiSpyware - also the free edition, on my
home computers.

I use Spybot Search & Destroy, also free. *How does that compare? *I

also
use Ad-Aware.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...umware-remover
.htm

Spyware Doctor that is even better than SAS.

http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/google_pack/

Thanks, Ron!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Tuesday, 11(XI)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
1dys 3hrs 1mins
A perversion of nature -- how exciting!

Home Depot - Home Services Experiences Frank[_3_] Home Repair 11 August 9th 07 06:01 AM
Is Home Depot shafting shoppers? "Home Depot is a consistent abuser of its customers' time." Stephen Blackpool Home Repair 65 March 17th 07 12:53 PM
FREE Home Depot Home Improvement How-To-Guide [email protected] Home Repair 3 June 2nd 06 11:06 PM
home depot Don Haynes Woodworking 50 May 17th 05 01:57 AM
Home Depot at home services, any good reports? [email protected] Home Repair 8 January 20th 05 07:27 PM