Don Haynes

Default home depot

all you people ****ed off at h.d. get a life

toller

"Don Haynes" wrote in message
all you people ****ed off at h.d. get a life

I bought some pipe fittings marked 3/8" at Chase Pitkin Tuesday. When I
found they didn't fit 3/8" tubing I took them back today, but misplaced the
receipt. CP refused to give me store credit, despite a sign saying they
give store credit without a receipt. I called the main office who told me
to fo fly a kite. I called the credit company and reversed the charge.

I also took a smoke detector back to Home Depot today. I bought it 6 months
ago and just got around to installing it, when I found it was defective.
They no longer carry that brand, but gave me a full refund without a
receipt.

Guess who is going to get my business. Say what you want about HD, but they
perform.

(yeh, I know; take better care of the receipt...)

Another Phil

I think you may be missing some of the point to their anger--
In my metro area, I can reach 4 HD, 2 Loews, 2 Wal-Marts, several Sears,
K-Marts and so forth without a major drive.
Each individual store has their own unique 'culture' or flavor if you will.
The two Wal-Marts are the most extreme different. There is an indescribable
psychic feel to the stores. Everyone who enters can feel and react to this
psychic flavor. And to some extent, the reaction by the customer results in
anger; a very strong anger.

Two of the BORGS and one Wal-Mart near me I will never go into again. Darn
outright surly and go out of their way to be unhelpful staff. Yet last
summer when a new Loews opened up a few miles north of me, I was shocked,
and down-right jaw dropped surprised at the warm friendly atmosphere of the
place plus the shelves were fully stocked and, if you can believe it, the
shelf price stickers actually had something to do with the merchandise on
the shelf above the sticker. Not so on my last two visits. No one around
to help, stock missing, and some merchandise on wrong shelf or out of place.
(the can was shellac, the shelf price label was for Deft.) That turn around
took less than a year for that store.

The problem is not the customers, the employees, or the store location.
Faults like these are management, fully and specifically problems with
management.

I do hope your nearest HD or Loews, or Wal-Mart are still stores that you
feel at least welcome into, and you can find what you want, when you want
it. and there is someone to answer your questions (and who knows the
answer). This is not so in each and every one of these stores in my area.
And my anger is doubled because I now must drive to the next store, again,
to get what I wanted.

Phil

"Don Haynes" wrote in message
all you people ****ed off at h.d. get a life

Stephen Young

Another Phil wrote:

The problem is not the customers, the employees, or the store location.
Faults like these are management, fully and specifically problems with
management.

To me, 99.999999% of all corporate failings are management fueled. I will give management only
the occasional & rare rogue employee as a part of the corporate puzzle piece that they can't
control or reasonably predict. EVERYTHING else is within their grasp to manage. Yet they
continue to fail & whine that it's someone/something elses' fault why they fail.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Another Phil" NoSpamming@one two three four five.com wrote in message

The two Wal-Marts are the most extreme different. There is an
indescribable psychic feel to the stores. Everyone who enters can feel
and react to this psychic flavor.

..

Two of the BORGS and one Wal-Mart near me I will never go into again.
Darn outright surly and go out of their way to be unhelpful staff. Yet
last summer when a new Loews opened up a few miles north of me, I was
shocked, and down-right jaw dropped surprised at the warm friendly
atmosphere of the place

The problem is not the customers, the employees, or the store location.
Faults like these are management, fully and specifically problems with
management.

Like people, businesses have personalities. If the people at the top are
cheerful, customer oriented, the probably hire others that are of similar
attitude. Forget "qualifications" for a job, people hire people they like.
The DMV and post office hire people that took a test and had a passing
score. Look at the personalities of those places.

I tend to go to stores that are favorable to my personality.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Vito Kuhn

"toller" wrote:

I bought some pipe fittings marked 3/8" at Chase Pitkin Tuesday. When
I found they didn't fit 3/8" tubing I took them back today, but
misplaced the receipt. CP refused to give me store credit, despite a
sign saying they give store credit without a receipt. I called the
main office who told me to fo fly a kite. I called the credit company
and reversed the charge.

I also took a smoke detector back to Home Depot today. I bought it 6
months ago and just got around to installing it, when I found it was
defective. They no longer carry that brand, but gave me a full refund
without a receipt.

Guess who is going to get my business. Say what you want about HD, but
they perform.

Home Depot is a tremendous resource. Thirty or forty years ago, a chain
of stores with such an impressive inventory wouldn't have been believable
by most folks. Like toller said, their customer service is top of the
line. Some of us in rural areas are also very impressed with their
prices, too. I like to support small businesses whenever I can, but with
HD around now I'm seeing less and less reasons why I should go anywhere
else for so many things.

VK
Norman D. Crow

m...

.

[...]

Don't know about the "feel" of our HD, but I go there somewhat regularly.
Living in an area that is "employment challenged", they have quite a few
employees who had worked in hardware/wood-working related businesses, are
now @ HD. They have the knowledge and abilities.
I frequently use an Ace hardware which is closer than HD. They have a little
of everything, including a small wood supply and a large tool rental
service. They also have a staff of *R.O.F.'s*(Retired Old Far^^) who are
VERY helpful and knowledgeable.

--
Nahmie

Glen

Don Haynes wrote:
all you people ****ed off at h.d. get a life

I have a life, thank you very much, but I am ****ed at HD, not for the
things normally mentioned in this forum, but for what is OT he

http://www.saveourstate.org/forums/i...?showtopic=535

Glen
George

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

Forget "qualifications" for a job, people hire people they like.
The DMV and post office hire people that took a test and had a passing
score. Look at the personalities of those places.

Not just the test, since we're doing reparations with hiring preferences.

However, well said. Seems back in the Hillarycare days someone mentioned
that a government-run healthcare would feature the speed of the post office
and the compassion of the DMV.

Upscale

"Norman D. Crow" wrote in message
service. They also have a staff of *R.O.F.'s*(Retired Old Far^^) who are
VERY helpful and knowledgeable.

Every time I seen mention of the older people working at Home Depot I get
the idea that many of them work there to be active, or to gossip with other
'home renovation' people, or just for something to do. Considering the low
wages they get, I hope expect too many of them are working there for the
money, at least I hope so.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Upscale wrote:
Every time I seen mention of the older people working at Home Depot I get
the idea that many of them work there to be active, or to gossip with other
'home renovation' people, or just for something to do. Considering the low
wages they get, I hope expect too many of them are working there for the
money, at least I hope so.

I had a friend who worked there after a full career as an electrician. He went
because he enjoyed it and the extra income helped him out as well. He didn't
*have* to work.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Charlie Self

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Upscale wrote:
Every time I seen mention of the older people working at Home Depot

I get
the idea that many of them work there to be active, or to gossip

with other
'home renovation' people, or just for something to do. Considering

the low
wages they get, I hope expect too many of them are working there

for the
money, at least I hope so.

I had a friend who worked there after a full career as an

electrician. He went
because he enjoyed it and the extra income helped him out as well.

He didn't
*have* to work.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

I knew a guy who retired from contracting and worked PT at a local HD,
mostly setting up and teaching classes. This was a few years ago, but
as I recall, he got about $18-$19 an hour, which isn't bad money in
this area (or a lot of others). He didn't have to work either, but
found the extra money helpful.

Upscale

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message

I had a friend who worked there after a full career as an electrician. He

went
because he enjoyed it and the extra income helped him out as well. He

didn't
*have* to work.

That would be the best case scenario.

Upscale

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

I knew a guy who retired from contracting and worked PT at a local HD,
mostly setting up and teaching classes. This was a few years ago, but
as I recall, he got about $18-$19 an hour, which isn't bad money in
this area (or a lot of others). He didn't have to work either, but
found the extra money helpful.

That's not half bad. I'm of the mind that they mostly take advantage of
employees like most conglomerates.

Charlie Self

Upscale wrote:
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

I knew a guy who retired from contracting and worked PT at a local

HD,
mostly setting up and teaching classes. This was a few years ago,

but
as I recall, he got about $18-$19 an hour, which isn't bad money in
this area (or a lot of others). He didn't have to work either, but
found the extra money helpful.

That's not half bad. I'm of the mind that they mostly take advantage

of
employees like most conglomerates.

I'm not sure I'd called the big box stores conglomerates, but, in fact,
I've seen Mom & Pop stores taking advantage of employees just as much
as larger companies. The kicker is, they do it two or three at a time.
As an example, years ago, my wife worked for a small store (four or
five employees, total); no benefits, which was expected; no raise for
either four or five years (which is why she quit). Her work was way
above satisfactory, but I was making good money, so her boss simply
didn't think she needed the money.

If you think that kind of idiotic thinking is unusual, take a look
around you at some smaller stores. My first mother-in-law ran into the
same problem many years ago. She was by far the best-qualified science
teacher at a local high school, but the men working in the department
got raises because her husband made excellent money. I never did figure
out what Ben's job had to do with Faith's job performance and pay,
except in the minds of '60s educational admin types around Orange
County, NY.

Swingman

"Charlie Self" wrote:

except in the minds of '60s educational admin types around Orange
County, NY.

It's a tossup what goes through the minds of most educrats in this country.
From a taxpayer's perspective it appears to revolve around milking us for
all they can get. That it is not "education" has become so bloody obvious
that it should be a source of everlasting shame.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/06/05

Mike Marlow

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in

message

I had a friend who worked there after a full career as an electrician.

He
went
because he enjoyed it and the extra income helped him out as well. He

didn't
*have* to work.

That would be the best case scenario.

I'm not so sure. I've never applied for a job there, but I do see people of
all ages there. Most younger ones pass through pretty quickly as I would
expect. Middle age to older folks - and I don't see a lot of retired people
working at HD or Lowes in my neck of the woods, seem to stay there for a
long time. Seems they must like it pretty well. The job market is not
hopping around here, but it's not so bad that a fellow would stay at a
terrible, minimum wage job for several years just because there was nothing
else for him to do.

It's amusing to watch the conversations here. So many of the regular
posters here seem to love taking shots at the people at HD simply because
they observed some simple human failure at work. Some little factoid that
the HD guy didn't know, or somehow slipped up on, or in some other way
didn't pass the test of doing everything to the absolute satisfaction of the
poster. I'm convinced that most of these complaints or "observations" only
come from frustrated people who have nothing better to do than to find the
issues (or exagerate them in order to really create an issue) in other
people (HD employees make such a big target in a group like this) in order
to feel somehow above those folks and part of (this) "elite" group. The
same thing comes through often is the way simple questions are answered with
all sorts of obtuse, irrelevant mantras which wander off into bizzare
threads - just to sound "authoritative".

Oh well - Saturday morning rant compete. BTW Upscale - this is not directed
to you. It's really more of a generalized statement about what I see here
every time a thread comes up involving people who work at BORGs, and the
like.

--

-Mike-

Gary

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
oups.com...

As an example, years ago, my wife worked for a small store (four or
five employees, total); no benefits, which was expected; no raise for
either four or five years (which is why she quit). Her work was way
above satisfactory, but I was making good money, so her boss simply
didn't think she needed the money.

Its sad to say, but pay for seniority is a dying concept in this country.
Pay for performance with meager cost of living adjustments seems to be the
norm now days.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Gary" wrote in message
Its sad to say, but pay for seniority is a dying concept in this country.
Pay for performance with meager cost of living adjustments seems to be the
norm now days.

I don't see a problem with that. If a drone has been on the payroll for ten
or twenty years, should he/she make more than a one year employee that does
an excellent job? One would hope that the long term employee is more
valuable and has greater knowledge, but that is not always the case.
Seniority counts for vacation time picks, but has nothing to do with the
quality of work, and thus, the amount of pay

Duane Bozarth

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
Its sad to say, but pay for seniority is a dying concept in this country.
Pay for performance with meager cost of living adjustments seems to be the
norm now days.

I don't see a problem with that. If a drone has been on the payroll for ten
or twenty years, should he/she make more than a one year employee that does
an excellent job? One would hope that the long term employee is more
valuable and has greater knowledge, but that is not always the case.
Seniority counts for vacation time picks, but has nothing to do with the
quality of work, and thus, the amount of pay

And no response to date has mentioned the problem of the employer
trying to make payroll every period...
Edwin Pawlowski

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

And no response to date has mentioned the problem of the employer
trying to make payroll every period...

That's because corporations have LOTS of money and everything they buy is a
tax write-off.

Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 14 May 2005 14:56:32 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

And no response to date has mentioned the problem of the employer
trying to make payroll every period...

That's because corporations have LOTS of money and everything they buy is a
tax write-off.

You forgot to throw in the "corporate welfare subsidies" :-)

Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 14 May 2005 07:48:55 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in

message

I had a friend who worked there after a full career as an electrician.

He
went
because he enjoyed it and the extra income helped him out as well. He

didn't
*have* to work.

That would be the best case scenario.

.... snip

It's amusing to watch the conversations here. So many of the regular
posters here seem to love taking shots at the people at HD simply because
they observed some simple human failure at work. Some little factoid that
the HD guy didn't know, or somehow slipped up on, or in some other way
didn't pass the test of doing everything to the absolute satisfaction of the
poster.

I know that in my "poster child" HD story, the "little" factoid that a
supposedly "expert" HD employee didn't know was the fact that one could
have more than 100 amps worth of circuit breakers in a 100 amp electrical
panel and, in fact, insisted that one could not have more than 100 amps
worth of breakers in such a panel. Seems like kind of a major issue when
he was trying to influence the design and purchase decisions as a supposed
"expert" on the floor. In fact, he attempted to emphasize this fact by
telling us that he was an electrician before coming to work at the Borg (he
was a fairly young fellow, so he definitely wasn't a retired electrician).

.... snip

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 14 May 2005 07:45:49 -0400, the inscrutable "George"
george@least spake:

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
If you think that kind of idiotic thinking is unusual, take a look
around you at some smaller stores. My first mother-in-law ran into the
same problem many years ago. She was by far the best-qualified science
teacher at a local high school, but the men working in the department
got raises because her husband made excellent money. I never did figure
out what Ben's job had to do with Faith's job performance and pay,
except in the minds of '60s educational admin types around Orange
County, NY.

From each according ....

Manifesto noted.

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming -
Upscale

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

Oh well - Saturday morning rant compete. BTW Upscale - this is not

directed
to you. It's really more of a generalized statement about what I see

here
every time a thread comes up involving people who work at BORGs, and the
like.

Sure, I understand that. I was just musing on what I see because since I'm
in my 50's, I can envision myself working at a Borg like store at sometime
in the future. It might be for the money or maybe just to be active in some
way within an area that interests me and which I believe I have a certain
level of knowledge. Just hoping that I'll like it.

Norman D. Crow

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

snip

I know that in my "poster child" HD story, the "little" factoid that a
supposedly "expert" HD employee didn't know was the fact that one could
have more than 100 amps worth of circuit breakers in a 100 amp electrical
panel and, in fact, insisted that one could not have more than 100 amps
worth of breakers in such a panel. Seems like kind of a major issue when
he was trying to influence the design and purchase decisions as a supposed
"expert" on the floor. In fact, he attempted to emphasize this fact by
telling us that he was an electrician before coming to work at the Borg
(he
was a fairly young fellow, so he definitely wasn't a retired electrician).

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then you baffle them with BS?

--
Nahmie

George

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
I know that in my "poster child" HD story, the "little" factoid that a
supposedly "expert" HD employee didn't know was the fact that one could
have more than 100 amps worth of circuit breakers in a 100 amp electrical
panel and, in fact, insisted that one could not have more than 100 amps
worth of breakers in such a panel. Seems like kind of a major issue when
he was trying to influence the design and purchase decisions as a supposed
"expert" on the floor. In fact, he attempted to emphasize this fact by
telling us that he was an electrician before coming to work at the Borg

(he
was a fairly young fellow, so he definitely wasn't a retired electrician).

If they paid him an extra two bucks an hour, he'd be much more
knowledgeable.

Amazing how they're all slugs, slackers and stupid - and underpaid....

Edwin Pawlowski

"Upscale" wrote in message

I can envision myself working at a Borg like store at sometime
in the future. It might be for the money or maybe just to be active in
some
way within an area that interests me and which I believe I have a certain
level of knowledge. Just hoping that I'll like it.

My plan is to never retire 100%. (Unless I hit the Powerball tonight for
$111 million). I'll be 60 later this year and I've already thought of a
couple of things I'd like to do. They all require getting out of the house,
socializing with others, responsibility but not high stress. Make a few
bucks to buy wood or take some vacations. My boss (the company owner, 1 year
older than me) figures we'll both still be coming into the shop or a
semi-regular basis. I figure if you sit home and watch Jerry Springer you
die too soon.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Duane Bozarth

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

And no response to date has mentioned the problem of the employer
trying to make payroll every period...

That's because corporations have LOTS of money and everything they buy is a
tax write-off.

Right...I'd forgotten they don't have to make a profit to stay in
business...

But, I was particularly referring to the examples of the poor
individuals not getting annual raises, etc., from a local employer...
Unquestionably Confused

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
semi-regular basis. I figure if you sit home and watch Jerry Springer you
die too soon.

Or wish you would/couldg

Patriarch

"Norman D. Crow" wrote in
:

snip
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then you baffle them with
BS?

That syndrome certainly isn't unique to the BORG.

We had a different saying, back in the day:

Ignorance to Arrgoance, in 90 days.

Patriarch
Lee DeRaud

On Sat, 14 May 2005 14:52:41 -0500, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

And no response to date has mentioned the problem of the employer
trying to make payroll every period...

That's because corporations have LOTS of money and everything they buy is a
tax write-off.

Right...I'd forgotten they don't have to make a profit to stay in
business...

But, I was particularly referring to the examples of the poor
individuals not getting annual raises, etc., from a local employer...

Or not getting paid at *all* when the mom&pop place goes through a
cash-flow crisis. BTDT.

Lee
Edwin Pawlowski

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

But, I was particularly referring to the examples of the poor
individuals not getting annual raises, etc., from a local employer...

Keeping up with the cost of living is tough enough. I know someone that
owns a "dollar store". They either have to become a dollar-fifty store or
go out of business. Just the increased cost of freight alone is taking the
profits and they cannot give anyone a raise. Just not enough stuff that can
be bought at the right price to maintain the dollar concept.

It's a tough world out there. I can cite plenty of examples in our industry
where cost of materials bought has gone up and the selling price has gone
down. We've walked away from about a $1 million in sales and profits did not
change at all. It would have hurt to keep it. We did get a modest wage
increase this year though. It is difficult to justify giving anyone more
than a cost of living increase unless they do something to deserve it, such
as take on more responsibility, or additional duties. You already (or
should, anyway), get paid for doing a good job and showing up every day.
That is just a basic part of being employed.

Sometimes you have to change with technology. Considering the proliferation
of digital cameras, it would not seem prudent to invest your life savings in
a one hour photo shop. There will always be film, just not as much of it.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Patriarch

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
:

snip
It's a tough world out there. I can cite plenty of examples in our
industry where cost of materials bought has gone up and the selling
price has gone down. We've walked away from about a $1 million in
sales and profits did not change at all.

In my industry, what sold for $400/unit in 1999 sold for $40/unit in 2004,
and in significantly higher unit volume. Such is the world of Moore's Law.

Patriarch,
not complaining
Edwin Pawlowski

"Patriarch" wrote in message

In my industry, what sold for $400/unit in 1999 sold for $40/unit in 2004,
and in significantly higher unit volume. Such is the world of Moore's
Law.

Great that it can happen in certain industries. Problem is, people have come
to expect it in everything. While computers and most electronics have
improved and gotten cheaper, appliances have turned to crap just to lower
cost.

In one case, we made parts for air conditioners. After year one, the
customer expected a 10% price decrease and we were able to do it as we came
up with better methods and efficiencies. In years 2 and 3 they took longer
to pay. Much longer.
In year 4, they wanted a 25% decrease plus a 6% rebate for the previous
year. that is when we walked. The company that took over the business from
us lost their ass and almost shut down. By year 5 the customer moved their
operation to Mexico.

In another industry that we supply, we wanted to increase prices 5% to cover
increased raw material cost. One of our competitors responded by offering
the same customers a new lower price, less than our original price. They
took the business away. They went bankrupt and were sold.

Patriarch

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
:

In one case, we made parts for air conditioners. After year one, the
customer expected a 10% price decrease and we were able to do it as we
came up with better methods and efficiencies. In years 2 and 3 they
took longer to pay. Much longer.
In year 4, they wanted a 25% decrease plus a 6% rebate for the
previous year. that is when we walked. The company that took over
the business from us lost their ass and almost shut down. By year 5
the customer moved their operation to Mexico.

In another industry that we supply, we wanted to increase prices 5% to
cover increased raw material cost. One of our competitors responded
by offering the same customers a new lower price, less than our
original price. They took the business away. They went bankrupt and
were sold.

I've seen that too. There is tremendous power in knowing when to, and
being able to, say 'no'.

And mumble kma as you walk out through the parking lot.

Patriarch
"Without vision, the people perish." (Proverbs 29:18)
Prometheus

On Sat, 14 May 2005 13:16:08 GMT, "Gary"
wrote:

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
roups.com...

As an example, years ago, my wife worked for a small store (four or
five employees, total); no benefits, which was expected; no raise for
either four or five years (which is why she quit). Her work was way
above satisfactory, but I was making good money, so her boss simply
didn't think she needed the money.

Its sad to say, but pay for seniority is a dying concept in this country.
Pay for performance with meager cost of living adjustments seems to be the
norm now days.

Is that a bad thing? If a guy has worked at the same place for five
years, and still is as useless as the day he was hired- why would he
get paid more?

OTOH, if a new guy comes in and works twice as hard as one of the
long-timers, why should he get paid less?

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Lobby Dosser

Patriarch wrote:

"Norman D. Crow" wrote in
:

snip
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then you baffle them with
BS?

That syndrome certainly isn't unique to the BORG.

We had a different saying, back in the day:

Ignorance to Arrgoance, in 90 days.

A ninety day Blunder?

Patriarch