Posted to alt.home.repair

Default can cold damage a house?

aside from the obvious of water pipes freezing, can cold damage a house? I
don't know what might occur, wallpaper peeling or plaster cracking or whatever.

If damage can occur, at what temperature would it occur? If I keep am unused
bedroom closed up for the winter with the radiator turned off, can anything
bad result?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RJ_32" wrote in message ...
aside from the obvious of water pipes freezing, can cold damage a house? I
don't know what might occur, wallpaper peeling or plaster cracking or
whatever.

If damage can occur, at what temperature would it occur? If I keep am
unused
bedroom closed up for the winter with the radiator turned off, can
anything
bad result?

I imagine it depends on the position of the bedroom etc. I did that once
many years ago, and ended up with mildew type spots all over one wall.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 11, 4:15*pm, RJ_32 wrote:
aside from the obvious of water pipes freezing, can cold damage a house? I
don't know what might occur, wallpaper peeling or plaster cracking or whatever.

If damage can occur, at what temperature would it occur? If I keep am unused
bedroom closed up for the winter with the radiator turned off, can anything
bad result?

Water-moisture cause damage, I dont heat a place in winter, in Europe
alot of places are unheated for hundreds of years, no damage. A
radiator yes depending on how its plumbed, no circulation can freeze
pipes, a bedroom unlikely will get cold enough. but how cold does it
get where you are.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"ransley" wrote in message
On Nov 11, 4:15 pm, RJ_32 wrote:
aside from the obvious of water pipes freezing, can cold damage a house? I
don't know what might occur, wallpaper peeling or plaster cracking or
whatever.

If damage can occur, at what temperature would it occur? If I keep am
unused
bedroom closed up for the winter with the radiator turned off, can
anything
bad result?

Water-moisture cause damage, I dont heat a place in winter, in Europe
alot of places are unheated for hundreds of years, no damage. A
radiator yes depending on how its plumbed, no circulation can freeze
pipes, a bedroom unlikely will get cold enough. but how cold does it
get where you are.

In areas of Europe that have winter, unheated houses or rooms commonly have
dampness and mold issues. You will find that by heating part of your house
will cause humidity and dampness to migrate to the cold room and condense on
the cold walls and floors. Here in Canada we had a problem in the local
school board turning the heat off in portable classrooms to save electricity
overnight and on the weekend. The result of this economy is that the
portables are riddled with mold. When you allow 30 children in a room that
still has cold walls it causes water to condense on these cold surfaces and
soak into the walls creating toxic mold. Many portable classrooms were
condemned. Real false economy -- save electricity and destroy a building.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RJ_32" wrote in message ...
aside from the obvious of water pipes freezing, can cold damage a house? I
don't know what might occur, wallpaper peeling or plaster cracking or
whatever.

If damage can occur, at what temperature would it occur? If I keep am
unused
bedroom closed up for the winter with the radiator turned off, can
anything
bad result?

Go to Blockbusters and rent "Dr. Zhivago"-- that will give you an idea of
what real nasty cold can do to a house...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Go to Blockbusters and rent "Dr. Zhivago"-- that will give you an idea of
what real nasty cold can do to a house...

freezing causes plaster to spall. a unheated room probably wouldnt be
a problem if its part of a larger building, that leaks heat to the
unheated space
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:15:02 -0500, RJ_32 wrote:

aside from the obvious of water pipes freezing, can cold damage a house? I
don't know what might occur, wallpaper peeling or plaster cracking or whatever.

If damage can occur, at what temperature would it occur? If I keep am unused
bedroom closed up for the winter with the radiator turned off, can anything
bad result?

Water vapor will travel towards the colder parts of the house and away
from warmer parts, although probably not an issue in drier climates.
If there is little risk of pipes freezing, I'd seal it off the extra
bedroom and air it out weather permitting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RJ_32 wrote:
aside from the obvious of water pipes freezing, can cold damage a house? I
don't know what might occur, wallpaper peeling or plaster cracking or whatever.

If damage can occur, at what temperature would it occur? If I keep am unused
bedroom closed up for the winter with the radiator turned off, can anything
bad result?

My brother-in-law chose to turn the heat off in his vacation house, an
1800s sea captain's house. Over the years he and others had painted
walls and ceilings with latex paints.

In the spring most of the latex ceiling paint had "rained" down. Looked
like he*&. The original milk paint was still there and in good shape
though. We always kept our vacation home at 55F and have had no prob;ems.

Boden
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 11, 5:15*pm, " wrote:
Go to Blockbusters and rent "Dr. Zhivago"-- that will give you an idea of
what real nasty cold can do to a house...

freezing causes plaster to spall. a unheated room probably wouldnt be
a problem if its part of a larger building, that leaks heat to the
unheated space

Freezing doesnt cause it, water freezing does. I have zero damage on a
110 yr old cottage kept unheated every year in zone 5, -15f. Think
summer lake homes, there are lots of them here, so lets all talk from
personal experiance, not second hand stuff where you have no idea of
what condition the roof and systems are that you neighbor had. Any
leak will make a big mess in winter everywhere in the home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

On Nov 11, 5:15 pm, " wrote:

Go to Blockbusters and rent "Dr. Zhivago"-- that will give you an idea of
what real nasty cold can do to a house...

freezing causes plaster to spall. a unheated room probably wouldnt be
a problem if its part of a larger building, that leaks heat to the
unheated space

Freezing doesnt cause it, water freezing does. I have zero damage on a
110 yr old cottage kept unheated every year in zone 5, -15f. Think
summer lake homes, there are lots of them here, so lets all talk from
personal experiance, not second hand stuff where you have no idea of
what condition the roof and systems are that you neighbor had. Any
leak will make a big mess in winter everywhere in the home.

The OP inquired about keeping one room unheated, very different than
uniform temp/humid.
In an occupied home, moisture from cooking, showering, etc., would
likely condense on
surfaces in the unheated room If wallpapered, it might cause peeling,
staining, mildew.
If enough condensation, might also harm woodwork, doors, paint, trim.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RJ_32" wrote in message ...

aside from the obvious of water pipes freezing, can cold damage a house? I
don't know what might occur, wallpaper peeling or plaster cracking or

whatever.

It is not low temperature that damages houses, it is damp (moisture.)
Damp varies with humidity, i.e. at low temperatures water vapor
changes from a gas into a liquid (droplets or ice.)

If damage can occur, at what temperature would it occur? If I keep am

unused
bedroom closed up for the winter with the radiator turned off, can

anything
bad result?

1. Probably not.
2. But you can open the door and look (and sniff too) every two weeks.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Phillipson wrote:
"RJ_32" wrote in message ...

aside from the obvious of water pipes freezing, can cold damage a house? I
don't know what might occur, wallpaper peeling or plaster cracking or

whatever.

It is not low temperature that damages houses, it is damp (moisture.)
Damp varies with humidity, i.e. at low temperatures water vapor
changes from a gas into a liquid (droplets or ice.)

If damage can occur, at what temperature would it occur? If I keep am

unused
bedroom closed up for the winter with the radiator turned off, can

anything
bad result?

1. Probably not.
2. But you can open the door and look (and sniff too) every two weeks.

interesting replies, my thanks to everybody. And that's exactly what I'll do:
periodically check.

It seems that the cooler the rest of the house is kept, then the drier the
unheated room might be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 11, 9:49*pm, RJ_32 wrote:
Don Phillipson wrote:
"RJ_32" wrote in ...

[...]

unheated room might be.- Hide quoted text -

If you humidify the rest of the house using a central humidifier or a
room humidifier, then as that level of moisture goes through the walls
into the unheated room, and then maybe condenses on the even colder
outside wall, you may have problems. If there was a moisture barrier
betwen the heated and unheated part of the house, this would be much
less likely to be a problem. Otherwise, I would keep the unheated
room at least at 50F, my experience in the Chicago area at least says
that that seems to not be a problem.

Bob Hofmann
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Boden wrote:

Looked
like he*&.

What the **** is he*&? This is usenet, son, not church. Spit it out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Boden wrote:

Looked
like he*&.

What the **** is he*&? This is usenet, son, not church. Spit it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 11, 9:49*pm, RJ_32 wrote:
Don Phillipson wrote:
"RJ_32" wrote in ...

[...]

Best is check the room, old houses that leak air and are unhumidified
are alot different from new tight construction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 11, 10:15*pm, RJ_32 wrote:
aside from the obvious of water pipes freezing, can cold damage a house? I
don't know what might occur, wallpaper peeling or plaster cracking or whatever.

If damage can occur, at what temperature would it occur? If I keep am unused
bedroom closed up for the winter with the radiator turned off, can anything
bad result?

In the normal way cold cannot damage a house.

And yes we do have winter in Europe, everywhere,
Four months winter and eight months bad weather.

The classic way to deal with winter is, to install a humidity
controlled electric fire.
When/if the water vapour in the air moves from a warm room to a cold
room, the level of humidity rises in the cold room and the electric
fire comes on to raise the temperture to the level required to hold
that amount of moisture in the air, rather than letting it condense
into or onto the coldest point in the room.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RJ_32" wrote

aside from the obvious of water pipes freezing, can cold damage a house? I
don't know what might occur, wallpaper peeling or plaster cracking or
whatever.

If damage can occur, at what temperature would it occur? If I keep am
unused
bedroom closed up for the winter with the radiator turned off, can
anything
bad result?

Depends on the dampness of your climate which isnt mentioned. That said,
'been there, done that'.

We were in a medium-dry but cold area (hit -5 but seldom lower and usually
above freezing by a notch in daytime). We kept a window propped open just a
little bit (2 inches or so). Although it wasnt a 'good vapor barrier' I
think it helped that we put up pretty quilts tucked all about the doors
inside the house (tucked under the door to prevent drafts). Those would be
so cold, it was hard to tell if they were also damp. They may have been
though as they collected alot of our 'construction dust' so Mom was always
taking them down and washing them (replacing with others).

We did this 1 winter with 2 bedrooms out of the 5 until in spring we could
take down the old tounge-n-groove walls and insulate behind them (old house,
virtually no insulation at all, oddly previous person had taken the walls
down and modernized all the electric but not bothered to insulate but 1 BR,
living room, and kitchen).

I do recall Mom had some sort of buckets filled with stuff that pulled damp
out of the air in those rooms (kinda like those silicate packets), but do
not recall if she changed them or how often. They were a precaution and may
not have actually done anything since the windows were somewhat open?

We did not have any mold or mildew problems.

I think reading the thread through, best is a combination of the replies.
Check room often, if possible (no rain or sleet coming in) prop the window a
bit, spend a little for a dehumidifier if after a week or so it looks like
you need it, and insulate the door a bit with something temporary thats easy
to take down and tuck back up after checking the room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

I think reading the thread through, best is a combination of the replies.
Check room often, if possible (no rain or sleet coming in) prop the window a
bit, spend a little for a dehumidifier if after a week or so it looks like
you need it, and insulate the door a bit with something temporary thats easy
to take down and tuck back up after checking the room.

Reasonable advice in the thread, but I really wonder - by leaving one
room totally open to weather, you
then have adjoining rooms exposed to cold with no insulation in the
interior walls........
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote

clipped

I think reading the thread through, best is a combination of the replies.
Check room often, if possible (no rain or sleet coming in) prop the window
a bit, spend a little for a dehumidifier if after a week or so it looks
like you need it, and insulate the door a bit with something temporary
thats easy to take down and tuck back up after checking the room.

Reasonable advice in the thread, but I really wonder - by leaving one room
totally open to weather, you
then have adjoining rooms exposed to cold with no insulation in the
interior walls........

Not much different in that old house. Only 1 BR, the kitchen, and the
living room had insulation (grin). It was built in about 1870 if memory
serves and the walls were stuffed apparently at one time with newspaper
which had degraded? It was a fine filter about 1ft up the wall and the rest
was empty space.

Want a laugh? One with no knowledge 'how' something is properly done comes
up with all sorts of solutions. The first time Mom knocked out both sets of
tounge-n-groove stuff on an inner wall and all that fell out, well I was
normal and used a dust pan. Then she rolled some insulation at me and told
me how to figure out how to hang it.

I started at the bottom but pretty fast figured out that wouldnt work as it
fell over. Then I grabbed a wire hanger and unraveled it and stuck it
through it at the top and managed to get it ti hold up with some part holes
from a nail just started then pulled out.

;-) It was kinda like a stick through cotton candy.

I have no clue how professionals do that one. I just know I was careful
that the hangerwire was never near electrical wire and was well anchored for
long term stability.

I've gather since that my explaination is funny, but the technic is valid
even if they use some pre-made stuff vice unbending a wire hanger. I'd run
about like Luke Skywalker (only this predates the Star wars movies by quite
a bit) and stab the offending 'pink stuff' in the side then hook it in to
the holes. Worked for me! At least it help til we could get all that pesky
drywall up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 11, 4:15*pm, RJ_32 wrote:
aside from the obvious of water pipes freezing, can cold damage a house? I
don't know what might occur, wallpaper peeling or plaster cracking or whatever.

If damage can occur, at what temperature would it occur? If I keep am unused
bedroom closed up for the winter with the radiator turned off, can anything
bad result?

In my house there is a "sun room" with lots of windows on the second
floor. There is no radiator in there. In winter I keep the door to
it closed and that doesn't seem to cause any problems. I am pretty
sure it never gets below freezing in there despite very cold weather
(Chicago area). -- H