Posted to alt.home.repair
boden boden is offline

Default can cold damage a house?

RJ_32 wrote:
aside from the obvious of water pipes freezing, can cold damage a house? I
don't know what might occur, wallpaper peeling or plaster cracking or whatever.

If damage can occur, at what temperature would it occur? If I keep am unused
bedroom closed up for the winter with the radiator turned off, can anything
bad result?

My brother-in-law chose to turn the heat off in his vacation house, an
1800s sea captain's house. Over the years he and others had painted
walls and ceilings with latex paints.

In the spring most of the latex ceiling paint had "rained" down. Looked
like he*&. The original milk paint was still there and in good shape
though. We always kept our vacation home at 55F and have had no prob;ems.

Boden